• Advertisement

BOL vs Camping or Base

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Cadit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Hey You Prepper minded Guys & Gals: I know a lot of preppers have a BOL to go to, but many do not or will not have the funds to do so. I'm one of those that at this time not possible to have a BOL site. So; I'm stuck with the camping or base camp thing. Where camping is of the thought that it is you, your family or you and friends, where as the base camp or Headquarters type thing for a small group or, 8 to 12 or more people who are communally living together for safety and survival.

So; what's your take, where do you stand in this scenario and how would you rank each option? Give us some pro's and con's on the matter.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
User avatar
Cadit
 
Posts: 208
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:16 pm
Karma: 6

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Gunns » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:14 pm

I live at my BOL. Very rural. Have no plans to leave.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4567
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Short of actual war, Bugging in.....

BUT I have BOL and transports secured if it came to it for the families sake....

But in that case I'm not bugging out anymore.....
Then that's being a refugee. ;)
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE
 
Posts: 388
Images: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: North of the Equator / below the 37th parallel
Karma: 21

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby NJMike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Just a thought, but if someone is camping and not at their own ground either BOL or Buggin In, then they are on someone else's property, right? That would be a negative to consider.
User avatar
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network
 
Posts: 878
Images: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:12 pm
Karma: 45

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Blondie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 pm

NJMike wrote:Just a thought, but if someone is camping and not at their own ground either BOL or Buggin In, then they are on someone else's property, right? That would be a negative to consider.


Valid point. If you're staying on someone else's private property such as a good friend or relative you may not have as many concerns but there can be issues. You need to consider packing up and getting out quickly and moving on if necessary.

Up here, US forrests and state parks are plentiful and well within bug out distance. While I don't expect they would be manned in a long term situation you may be asked to leave.

The biggest issue up here are winter temps. People have frozen to death in their tents and even a travel trailer is no match for extreme conditions.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie
 
Posts: 1667
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 pm
Location: In The Kitchen With Baby Dumpling
Karma: 46

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:10 pm

As a landowner I am currently extremely hostile to any useless SOB who would come on my property without prior permission! Should something happen, my current attitude could sour! Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up, is understood in these parts. Swamp

Now if your silly enough to be swayed by sob stories, then best of luck in the next world.
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8011
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby IceFire » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:14 pm

I agree with Swamp. That's why we have "No Trespassing" signs up. 19 acres and a backhoe.....(until I get the hogs, that is.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
User avatar
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9927
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Baja Arizona
Karma: 147

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Blondie wrote:
NJMike wrote:Just a thought, but if someone is camping and not at their own ground either BOL or Buggin In, then they are on someone else's property, right? That would be a negative to consider.


Valid point. If you're staying on someone else's private property such as a good friend or relative you may not have as many concerns but there can be issues. You need to consider packing up and getting out quickly and moving on if necessary.

Up here, US forrests and state parks are plentiful and well within bug out distance. While I don't expect they would be manned in a long term situation you may be asked to leave.

The biggest issue up here are winter temps. People have frozen to death in their tents and even a travel trailer is no match for extreme conditions.



everyone's 3rd cousin will be heading to the campgrounds/resorts they are familiar with - the national and state parks will be nothing but giant squatter camps .... without the means for self sufficiency its only a matter of time .... without any recognized community it'll soon be open warfare between the haves and have nots ... you show up with supplies and an all weather RV - the plastic tarp squatters will be on you like wolves ....
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 54

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby ajax727 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 pm

Our little group will not be going anywhere , if we must fallback then we have places to fall back to . For us it will be to control the roads or that is what is planed . Trespassers will be taken care in short order . There are a handful of people that i have told if they can get here there will be a place for them they are old friends with skills that will be needed just don't bring any extras people with them .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727
 
Posts: 2323
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am
Karma: 72

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Permafrost » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:48 am

I'm lucky in the fact that I live at my homestead somewhere between 1/3rd and 2/3rds of the year, depending on the year. On occasion I have pondered the "camping" option, mostly when I was younger and doing it prospecting for gold so it was not much of a stretch.

I think it is a good option if you do it right, but I think few if any will do it right. To make this option work someone would need to go far into the wilderness, and I mean real wilderness. No roads or campgrounds, at least a weeks worth of solid hiking from a trailhead or even better somewhere with no trail. Figure 10 miles a day would put you 70 miles deep into wilderness, but if it was me I would not stop until I walked at least 100 miles. This is not straight line distance, it is actual distance, because of passes and river crossings and such. It might be even better if you can throw in a little pack rafting section to really add a barrier because even most avid backpackers do not carry a pack-raft. I'm sure there are areas like this in the Rockies and parts of the Sierra Nevada ranges, as well as areas in Washington high up in the Cascades. To do a proper camp this would also mean multiple trips carrying a wall tent and stove, food, and other supplies. I figured it out when I was younger and I guessed it would take me about 6 to 8 trips with a 80 pound to 100 pound pack each trip, this adds up to about 2 months to pack in supplies to get set up to last a winter and the next summer. Like I said I was young and going out for months at a time in the summer anyway so I was mostly thinking of wintering over at some good ground so I could mine it all summer the next year. More people would mean fewer trips with the big ticket items like a wood stove & tent but it is still a lot of trips because you have added food and personal gear.

On the bright side if someone takes this rout you can be fairly sure you wont have to deal with very many neighbors. I am a big believer in extreme isolation for ultimate security, but it is also just how my life has always worked out. To live a subsistence lifestyle you need many square miles of hunting/fishing/trapping/gathering/timber land, and you can't get that unless there are no other people competing for the meager resources. For a "small" group of 8 to 12 people (I would consider this a medium to large group) you would need hundreds of square miles of land to use for the group to survive, it is doable but it will take planning and scouting well ahead of time to see what resources are in the wilderness areas that they could get to. Climate and elevation would also be huge factors in this equation.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1117
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: Interior Alaska
Karma: 97

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby jimcosta » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:41 am

Landless Preppers

This article is just for city slickers who may wish that they weren’t if we go into a long crisis. I keep hearing from wanna-be preppers that they are stuck where they are as they don't have enough money for land in the country. This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. People, get your head out of your asses, stop doing as you were trained to do and make the decision that your extended family will survive. That's right, you have to decide to survive!​

In order to solve the country land problem simply stick $50 in an envelope marked “Land” and you are done.

We have a country fall-back farm. I surveyed every house within a half mile radius of us for future organization, help and threats. What I discovered was that one third of the houses either are vacant or would be vacant in a long crisis. Most of the current vacancies were related to deaths or owners in nursing homes. You see, the average age of our neighbors is above 65. When some people die their land sits for several years due to lack of wills and also from Medicaid confusion if Medicaid can seize the property for payment for assistance given. Then there is the inheritance city slickers gain but cannot use and thus end up with divided siblings unable to move forward. I think you are beginning to get the picture here.​

I suggest that your extended family go land hunting. In a crisis, there are no land boundaries, no trespassing laws and no real rules. You do as you must to stay alive. So do it. Locate several abandoned properties, close to each other, with pump houses (wells). Plan on moving in at crisis time. If the owner shows up then simply move to the next. But in the meantime, be of service to the community. Camp out back or move in. Lay low so it still appears abandoned. But at least now you have a plan to go forward.

Now back to the $50. Purchase a piece of plastic window pane that you can cut, a tube of clear silicone and an exterior door knob. On moving day break out a back window for entry. Change the back door lock and repair the window. No harm done.

Have someone prepared to power the well with a generator (simple process). Run the generator ten minutes every three days to fill up the bath tub, water heater, kiddie swimming pool etc. so that now you have safe drinking water. Purchase $25 worth of 4 inch tin stove piping and an elbow so that you can take the generator exhaust and blow it eight feet straight up into the clouds. Not only will this muffle the sound but it will make it impossible for neighbors to pinpoint the sound source. Then all you have to do is construct a $25 composting toilet that uses no water.

For $100 you have just resolved your land, shelter, water and sewage problems. Get your head out your a s s and start thinking family survival instead of poor pitiful you.


Hide and Seek


One of my fondest childhood memories was playing hide and seek on summer evenings around twilight. Your only care in the world was to find a good spot and not get caught. Nothing else mattered in life.​

But as life would have it, we were poor and my parents could not afford a lot of neat hiding places. Because there were nine of us kids and considering all the neighborhood kids playing, there was a shortage of good hiding places. Even so, you could always find a place to hide.​

You know, in all of those summer memories I never recall anyone demanding to see my papers authorizing me to hide in that particular spot. The way we played the game it was simply first come first serve. Besides, we were just hiding there during the game, we weren't claiming that spot forever.​ So too will it be if you have to relocate to a better hiding place in the event of a long emergency.

I spent a lot of time studying the strategy and tactics of Robert E. Lee. With the exception of Gettysburg, he almost always fought a defensive war and chose the location of an upcoming battle. And that choice was always to a great advantage to the defender. His philosophy was probably, “As long as you have to choose, choose to your advantage.” Did you know that a dug in defender has a 3 to 1 to a 6 to 1 advantage over an attacker? The military term for this is Force Multiplier.

This is precisely why no one has ever invaded Switzerland, and not because of the popular belief that they are all armed with Swiss army knives. Then if you consider that if your land choice makes you invisible you always win as you cannot lose a battle you do not have to fight.

Sources: Family Prepping In A Nutshell https://costa4669.wixsite.com/resetus/copy-of-start-here-1

So the bottom line here is have a trailer ready to load, escape to a hidden vacant country shack, and lay low out of site.
Also note you can make a well dipper out of PVC pipe to lower into the well casing after removing the pump. This negates a generator.
jimcosta
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am
Location: Pensacola, Florida US
Karma: 0

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Cadit » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 pm

I see a lot of truth stated here, but some Bull S**t too. First off, there will be so many die right off the bat. Then you have those that will be killing and looting the cities and towns. After a short time of those type of activities; diseases will start up. So in a very short time, our population will dwindle considerably. People are not given to change that well, so most will stay where they are, resisting that urge to run. We are creatures of habit and most times that will lead to ones death in a SHTF event.

Those that are not stay-put minded or more of the nomadic type are the ones I see as the true survivors. Look around you, who is it that you see daily that are true survivors. They are there and we see them everyday. They don't hide, they don't run away. they survive each and every day. Talk with vets that have returned from war torn countries, ask about the people they saw living day after day. Ask them about the type of life style that had in those towns, villages and cities. There is more of your true survivors. There are some of those here in America. Fine them and talk with them. You will be surprised at what you will learn. Wither its the sands of Afghanistan or the jungles of Viet-Nam, the survival of those who made it are all the same, not much different. The single most outstanding thing I found in all of it was this: their mindset. If you don't have the right mindset, you will most likely die. And some people wonder why some of our boys come home with there heads not on straight, its not that, they see and it scares the hell out of them. Because we are not ready, and its coming.

The thing with he some not having the money to buy some land, is so right, when the economy took a dump, and many lost their jobs and now have to choice between going to the doctor or cutting back on their meals. Unless you've been there you don't know crap, but continue to spit forth your stupidity, because you don't know what you're talking about. All those who think because they are this or that way, know and think that everyone has a means, I call BS on that. But they keep opening their mouths and telling everyone just how ignorant they truly are. I feel for them, because they will be some of the first that will do something stupid and die.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
User avatar
Cadit
 
Posts: 208
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:16 pm
Karma: 6

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby rickdun » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:52 pm

I have a camp about 65 miles away from the farm. I planed on using it as a BOL, but after I looked at many maps (road and topo), I decided it just wasn't worth the risk. So with that being said, I'm staying on the farm.

As far as taking a building, shed, home from somebody who you think may not be there, by breaking in the window, say your prayers before you do, as there may be that one lone wolf waiting on ya to do that so he/she can take you out and take what you may have. Yes, people do desperate things in desperate times and most of those people pay a price for their action.

Now if I lived in a city or urban area, I'd be gone in a heartbeat, but I'd already be prepared way in advance to do that.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
 
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 16

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Cadit wrote:I see a lot of truth stated here, but some Bull S**t too. First off, there will be so many die right off the bat. Then you have those that will be killing and looting the cities and towns. After a short time of those type of activities; diseases will start up. So in a very short time, our population will dwindle considerably. People are not given to change that well, so most will stay where they are, resisting that urge to run. We are creatures of habit and most times that will lead to ones death in a SHTF event.

Those that are not stay-put minded or more of the nomadic type are the ones I see as the true survivors. Look around you, who is it that you see daily that are true survivors. They are there and we see them everyday. They don't hide, they don't run away. they survive each and every day. Talk with vets that have returned from war torn countries, ask about the people they saw living day after day. Ask them about the type of life style that had in those towns, villages and cities. There is more of your true survivors. There are some of those here in America. Fine them and talk with them. You will be surprised at what you will learn. Wither its the sands of Afghanistan or the jungles of Viet-Nam, the survival of those who made it are all the same, not much different. The single most outstanding thing I found in all of it was this: their mindset. If you don't have the right mindset, you will most likely die. And some people wonder why some of our boys come home with there heads not on straight, its not that, they see and it scares the hell out of them. Because we are not ready, and its coming.

The thing with he some not having the money to buy some land, is so right, when the economy took a dump, and many lost their jobs and now have to choice between going to the doctor or cutting back on their meals. Unless you've been there you don't know crap, but continue to spit forth your stupidity, because you don't know what you're talking about. All those who think because they are this or that way, know and think that everyone has a means, I call BS on that. But they keep opening their mouths and telling everyone just how ignorant they truly are. I feel for them, because they will be some of the first that will do something stupid and die.



unless "nomadic" is code for raider scum - I don't see how anyone without a plan for self sufficiency and stocked supplies for backup is going to survive ..... if you have Jeremiah Johnson dreams please will your bear gun to me before you starve to death ....
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 54

Re: BOL vs Camping or Base

Postby ajax727 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Funny words , break into the right home or barn and you will get the SSS treatment around here .
The mindset of i will just take what i want is what will get you planted and is foolish advice .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727
 
Posts: 2323
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am
Karma: 72

Next

Return to A.N.T.S.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IceFire and 4 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors












Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer