• Advertisement

Are we becoming to soft for the outside world?

General discussion board for ANTS members

Moderator: founderant

Are we becoming to soft for the outside world?

Postby founderant » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 pm

With more and more people spending most of their lives indoors. Are we becoming to soft for the outside world?

https://youtu.be/iQSdlL1OD1g
Americans Networking To Survive
http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
founderant
A.N.T.S. Founder
A.N.T.S. Founder

Re: Are we becoming to soft for the outside world?

Postby IceFire » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Maybe SOME people are becoming too "soft", (ESPECIALLY the ones who spend their time playing video games) but once we get home from the office jobs, my family is out doing "farm" chores...working the garden, building animal housing, hauling hay and feed, tending animals, ripping out mesquite, etc.

Sorry if my post doesn't "track" with the video, but I can't watch you tube or other videos...they "crash" my browser EVERY time, so I'm having to guess at what you mean.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dirk Williams » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Don't agree, perhaps the reasons for being outside have shifted. Generally not work related, more social, sports originated. Admittedly my model is a community on top of a mountain, the population isn't large either. The area is a sportsmans paradise.

I rarely do cities, no interest, nor do I care what they do.

Interesting question. Love to hear our friends thoughts.

Dirk.
Dirk Williams

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm

I have to say yes. I have a garden and am more outdoorsy than most of my friends, but after any outside time, I can relax in my climate controlled home after taking a cool shower. If I need anything, it is either Amazon or a drive into town! Information or research is as close as my phone! Does anyone routinely walk or ride a horse to town? Does anyone routinely work without power tools?

Even at the camp [off grid], I have solar fans, lights, and an array of other handy gadgets. I have a weird sense of humor, but when a friend brags about his off the grid life, I can't help but notice the four wheel drives, four wheeler's, chainsaws, solar array, DVD player, cell phone that works on the ridge, laptop, etc., etc. I guess they all got there on thought waves or magic! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:08 am

First of all I would like to thank founderant, I've seen some of this guys gear reviews and I was not impressed from a artic survival standpoint. I may give him another chance on other topics, although he seems very urban. He must be from the southern part of Canada, definitely not a Northwest Territories or Yukon Territory or Nunavut kind of guy.

I agree with his assessment of people. I also agree with his division between preppers and survivalists, although this was a new line of thinking for me.

I think I notice this phenomenon most in the winter here. Those that live & work in the cities are only outside long enough to get to or from their car, or they wait until it warms up to go out on snowmachine for recreation. Those subsistence users that have to hunt or trap outside all winter long seem to be hardened to the temperatures. I'm not sure if it is a adjustment of metabolism or just a deadening of the nerves, but there is a difference in people even here in the artic. Those that spend time outside are generally more acclimated to the weather extremes than those who spend large amounts of time in climate controlled environments.

I think the gym thing was accurate as well. I know people who go to the gym every day for at least a hour, but they get winded just walking on uneven marshy ground or splitting wood. Gyms are designed to work out a specific mussel or small group of mussels while providing for safety so that customers will not become injured. Outdoor work uses multiple mussels all at once in ways that are not always ergonomically friendly, and generally causes repetition or sprain injuries eventually.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 am

more concerned about society becoming less personally involved and self involved thru self entertainment and electronic communications ....

a physical fitness concern only comes into play if the draft was instituted - take longer to get lard azzes into combat fitness shape - otherwise they can eat all the Hotpockets they want ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am

Without a doubt.

I see this in myself 100%....I've been working to change it(As I type here on my keyboard :lol: )

growing my preps, now for where I'm at urbanely, I've finally met my goals for food/water for a small sustained period.

So I turned to my weakest area naturally as a next step...myself.

I'm 45, out of shape, a couch potato when not in the garden of training in a serious firearms course, and work all day in an office..........And along comes my surprise little girl now 2 years old.

I want to be here for her but also have always been wanting to become more healthy for a self-prep...motivation like a new little life got me off the couch finally.

I was doing hikes with the little one on my back over the last year but it just pointed out how out of shape I was.....I finally got serious about 3 months ago.

232lbs at start....now 201 at this morning weigh-in....lots of hikes....Change of diet(mainly less quantities and better choices)....being honest though, this is mainly diet, not daily exercise. I still have a long way to go.

I just busted out an entire driveway of woodchips 4' tall to lay down a 6" deep layer for the entire yards front and back to improve my very acidic soil here....1 man, 1 small shovel, 1 wheel barrel, 2 days at 3 hours each day humping it hard.....my back is in pain but its not out like 3 months ago I couldn't even fathom a project like that....now 2 days later there's not really any discomfort. That feels good.

The thing is, even with all of this to show for my decisions, I'm under NO ILLUSIONS....I am nowhere near ready for a GDE other than bugging in...Its just the facts. 99% of us aren't.

So ya, barring a few on here that live a self-sustaining life EVERYDAY I see here,.....Without a doubt, we're soft.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby 3ADScout » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:30 am

I think many statements like this (by Canadian Prepper) fall short by not defining the SHTF scenarios. If the SHTF scenario is a nuclear war with fallout, count me in as being an inside bunker survivalist!! I think whatever we are we need to be "Semper Gumby" (always flexible). To survive anything we must be able to quickly adapt to a rapidly changing environment. With that said I think Canadian Prepper was on the right path people are becoming soft in that we are loosing our ability to adapt quickly because of all the modern conveniences. Cold? Go inside and use a few fingers to bump up the thermostat to warm up? Grid down, it will be far from that easy. Knowledge + Practice = Skill. Regardless of if you are in the country or city it is possible to develop Skills. I think a big difference between a country and city is the capabilities and skills that they develop. Many country folk are used to frequent power outages and thus have prepared for them. Both can practice gardening but a country Prepper will more than likely have more land to plant than a city Prepper (sure there is verticle gardening etc). From personal experience I am greatly limited to what I can plant in the city, and we can not have any farm type animals. But at our BOL I have planted apple trees, blue berries, elder berries, and have much more room to plant. This space gives us the opportunities to practice those skills. The softness in my opinion is caused by people reading and gaining knowledge but not practicing it to develop true skills. Case in point my son tells me he "knows" how to start a fire since he did it in Minecraft (or as I call it Mindcrap). Took him out to BOL and gave him a Ferro rod and knife and told him to start a fire. He "knew" how but he could not do it in "reality". Just my two cents.
3ADScout

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am

3ADScout wrote:I think many statements like this (by Canadian Prepper) fall short by not defining the SHTF scenarios. If the SHTF scenario is a nuclear war with fallout, count me in as being an inside bunker survivalist!! I think whatever we are we need to be "Semper Gumby" (always flexible). To survive anything we must be able to quickly adapt to a rapidly changing environment. With that said I think Canadian Prepper was on the right path people are becoming soft in that we are loosing our ability to adapt quickly because of all the modern conveniences. Cold? Go inside and use a few fingers to bump up the thermostat to warm up? Grid down, it will be far from that easy. Knowledge + Practice = Skill. Regardless of if you are in the country or city it is possible to develop Skills. I think a big difference between a country and city is the capabilities and skills that they develop. Many country folk are used to frequent power outages and thus have prepared for them. Both can practice gardening but a country Prepper will more than likely have more land to plant than a city Prepper (sure there is verticle gardening etc). From personal experience I am greatly limited to what I can plant in the city, and we can not have any farm type animals. But at our BOL I have planted apple trees, blue berries, elder berries, and have much more room to plant. This space gives us the opportunities to practice those skills. The softness in my opinion is caused by people reading and gaining knowledge but not practicing it to develop true skills. Case in point my son tells me he "knows" how to start a fire since he did it in Minecraft (or as I call it Mindcrap). Took him out to BOL and gave him a Ferro rod and knife and told him to start a fire. He "knew" how but he could not do it in "reality". Just my two cents.

THIS^^^....Agreed.

When starting prepping I was "Book prepped".....Then I started practicing.....lol. Enough said.

BUT...in my first survival course my instructor was stating to me aside from the group that he was amazed at how quick I was "Getting it" Vs. others that were his first-time students.....Same with my gardening....Production has been on point but actually IDing disease in real-world vs book took a whole new knowledge to get it, but learning curve was dramatically reduced.....

It all comes down to adaptability and mindset IMHO as you've stated...Knowledge did help with the application curve though for me at least.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby sageprice » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Depends, do you garden, mow more than an acre, do wood working? Having a skill that you actually practice and just sitting is a great divide.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I believe your physique and your skill set are quite separate.

As an LEO, I had a Chief who at 45 lbs overweight still jogged every day and I saw skinny guys who couldn't scale a 6' chain link fence.

In the day before FEMA, etc disaster response services were cobbled together of Red Cross, LEO's and some volunteer firefighters. To feed us, a volunteer named Harry would show up. He looked like Santa dressed in fatigues.

Harry had been an Army cook when they had such a thing. He also had a mess tent and a complete trailer fitted as a rolling kitchen. He could throw a meal together for 25 on short notice with preps from his kitchen on wheels and kept us fed 24/7 for days. Tho he no longer moved fast he had a lot of stamina.

I'd take a guy like this over somone with a 30" waist who learned all his skills on YT.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Cadit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Well I too agree and disagree; we older folks are given more to the outdoors. The younger generation is more insiders. Now I've as many other older generation people, have been driven indoors for different reasons, but still hang onto the outdoors thing. We keep our curtains pushed back to let the light in, still try to maintain our yard and garden, they're just not as big as they once were. Maintaining our independence. But it's the land that gives us life, and our enclosures rob us of our health vitality. Ask any HVAC tech and they will tell you that nature produces positive ions which promote good physical and mental health, but our AC produces negative ions, which works against our bodies ability to heal itself and to maintain good physical and mental health.

If and when our world stops turning as it normally does for us today, many a people will die, and that's a shame. But as nature has shown time after time, it will recover and reclaim what's hers or its, which ever you want to call nature. But this planet is self regenerating, it has the ability to repair its self. So; with the reduction of our population, cities will become smaller or none existent. Whole communities will pass away. After all the mayhem has passed and things settle down, small villages will emerge, and towns, just like in the beginning. Just because the majority of our population has passed away, doesn't mean the knowledge will be lost. Those of us that still cling to the notion of the earth providing for us will be our most valuable members among us. And those with the knowledge of building things that will help us improve out lives. Not to the point that we were living before the change, but to complement out lives in that day. I hope we don't take the same path as before, but one partnered with nature, working to advance ourselves and our world, not polluting it, but refreshing it.

All of our Tec knowledge can enhance our lives all the while promoting a healthy planet. Today we are gutting our world for profit and nothing more than that. Big business and large wallets is what's running our world today. people who have no idea of the damage to the human being they have done and continue to do. Trying to make us dependent on their products, keep the need alive. I remember having a phone in the house was so wonderful, even is we had to share the line. Party lines as they were called.

So yes: I prepare for the outdoors, there will always be the inside, it hasn't been that long ago the one lit the inside of their homes with oil lamps to read by or do other chores not completed before sunset. We will still have the knowledge of today and the ability to make life a little better at the time.

So the indoors thing may happen, but it would be due to our lack of responsibility to say no. People are given to let others take responsibility for their lives, and that is what government want, to reduce us all to pale, pasty beings that live out their lives indoors, doing the governments bidding. Not being able to resist and with a say.

So in closing: yes the preppers and survivalist in my opinion will be the majority of those that survive, those that spend 80 to 90 percent of their lives indoors will not, they will not have any knowledge skills to aid them in a new world, working with their hands and minds in a new way and so will fall pray to those who are the predators.
Cadit
K4HCH-Go Slow-Take a Knee-Look and Listen
Cadit

Return to A.N.T.S.