• Advertisement

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Tips to prepare for natural disasters like Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis etc...

Moderator: medic94

Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 am

Tropical Storm Harvey expected to be a cat. 3 hurricane by Friday and expected to hit land around Corpus Christie Texas. Weather channel said up to 25 inches of rain and a storm surge up to 10 feet or more. Hunker down boys or di di further inland.

Good Luck to you and your's. Stay safe.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

Postby rickdun » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Here's the latest update on hurricane Harvey:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/24/hu ... texas.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 pm

This is a frightening storm. Would you believe that on a mom's facebook page that I belong to, someone who LIVES in Corpus Christi is actually contemplating having things ready, but still monitoring the situation? What the heck. Get out of there! Sometimes, I just don't understand people.

As a side note, our son, who plays soccer down there is out of the path, since he is at the southern most point (the tip!), which is to the west of the storm. They are only expecting winds of about 125 MPH there. I'm thinking his car may be in jeopardy of getting damaged by flying debris. He's also currently out of state w/ the team, playing in Utah. They left this morning ... connecting through Houston. Getting back INTO Texas may be a different story, though.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Its crazy how fast it has strengthened. Only thing I had to do was get fuel this morning. I live a bit north and west of San Antonio so I shouldnt be seeing much action. With the way it keeps changing though I am keeping my ears and eyes open because it seems to change in intensity and direction hourly.

Didnt notice a run on goods here either so I dont think anyone in this neck of the woods is too worried about it.

They have contraflowed the traffic out of corpus. So all lanes on 37 are moving north outta town. Im surprised Corpus hasnt been put on the mandatory evac list to be honest.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Don't know about the masses, but some Houstonians are taking it seriously. Good friends and fellow crazies (Preppers) are here! They are using it as a dress rehearsal for a big one! Don't get me wrong as I am a believer in practice, but they seem to be having just a little too much fun for evacuees! I get sleeping in the shelter even though the guest bedrooms are available, but is endlessly running up and down the lake on jet skies actual evacuation practice??? Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Swamp, If it gets too deep you're always welcome up here in Missouri. We live on a hill.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:58 pm

My son just moved to Houston a month ago! He has stocked up on water and some food that doesn't need to be heated.

He's in an apartment, third floor, and car is on second floor of the garage. It sounds like the rain will be the main issue for them, not so much wind.

I've given him all the advice I can think of. Not sure how much he'll take. He probably thought the suggestion to get piddle pads for the dog (so they don't have to take her out if it's flooded) was a little over the top, but better to be safe than sorry, I think!

I have friends who live in the Woodlands, north of Houston, and am worried about them, because they've had some flooding in their neighborhood in the past.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 pm

If he lives in the Houston metro area proper he needs to get out.

I lived through a lot of hurricanes down there and a couple were about like this
one, its no joke when they say get out early.

We lived up by the Woodlands too and near the San Jacinto river, going to be a lot
of those new subdivisions destroyed up in that area if they get that much rain.
The developers don't care and the people moving into the very low areas likely
don't realize they should check the flood maps. They may get by for years without
anything major then one of these hits.

I hope everyone is safe, sounds like this is going to be a really bad one. Hope any
and all folks there stay safe, I know many aren't prepared and that's sad.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ajax727 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Hope all stay safe that are in the path .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby TRex2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:58 am

kenjabroni wrote:...
They have contraflowed the traffic out of corpus. So all lanes on 37 are moving north outta town...

Wow, I missed that. Where did you hear it?
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 am

Its big...

Real-time earth wind map here...Zoom in/out....click and drag with mouse.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-96.69,25.48,770
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby TRex2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 am

I have been watching a traffic mapping tool for
the past 24 hours, and one of the amazing things
I have seen is lines at gas stations that are long
enough to show up on the tool as stopped traffic.

They are starting to go away now, at the stations
that are out of gas...
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby jimLE » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:38 am

Latest on Hurricane Harvey

www.weather.gov/shv/

i hope,that everyone effected by it..comes through it alright..
jimLE

Postby broden » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:34 pm

had to wait in a half hour long line to get gas this morning.. usually there is no wait at all
so lots of the coastal folks have come north..

my wife works in the medical field and they are all(medical staff, directors and admin) on call through out the weekend (at least)for sure and many many patients from coastal areas have been moved to hospitals further inland.. so she is very busy and may have to remain at work over the weekend.

other than all that .. we are good to go.. biggest concern i guess for us would be if sustained winds do roof damage and we have to deal with the insurance people .. hopefully not
broden

Postby Stahlrosen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Prayers for everyone in the path of Harvey. Hope everyone who wanted to get out were able to.
Stahlrosen

Next

Return to Natural Disasters