• Advertisement

Where to Run, If a Nuclear Bomb is Dropped

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Where to Run, If a Nuclear Bomb is Dropped

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

:surrender: I've edited my original post to REMOVE political crap that tarnished the prepping info.

NOTE: (Photos are large and were making the page scroll, so I'm just posting the link) -k

If a nuclear bomb is dropped on your city, here's where you should run and hide
http://www.businessinsider.com/nuclear- ... =buffer-bi

• People who survive a nuclear blast may be exposed to radioactive ash and dust called fallout.
  • Finding a good shelter as soon as possible and going inside is critical to surviving fallout.
  • A scientist has come up with a strategy for when and whether to move to a better fallout shelter.

(SNIPPING OUT the Political rehtoric, which you will read, in the first few sentences, when you open the link)

So you might be wondering, "If I survive a nuclear-bomb attack, what should I do?"

Michael Dillon, a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory researcher, crunched the numbers and helped figure out just that in a 2014 study published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical and Physical Sciences.

Likewise, government agencies and other organizations have also explored the harrowing question and came up with detailed recommendations and response plans. *** CONTINUED at LINK, above ****
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Where to Run, If a Nuclear Bomb is Dropped

Postby Dirk Williams » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Excuse me, but exactly HOW has Trump started an arms race. He's been in office less then 70 days. We are truly living in interesting times. I just think credit needs to go to,those who created the circumstances.

My friend, I fundamentally disagree with at least " Who " has started this quest for a nuclear arms vent.

The rest of the post is spot on, thank you.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Excuse me, but exactly HOW has Trump started an arms race. He's been in office less then 70 days. We are truly living in interesting times. I just think credit needs to go to,those who created the circumstances.

My friend, I fundamentally disagree with at least " Who " has started this quest for a nuclear arms vent.

The rest of the post is spot on, thank you. Dirk

Dirk, politics aside (I didn't write that), the post was intended for the helpful info, not the political aside that was in the introduction. Times have been precarious for a long time, on a lot of fronts, as we all know ;) . Maybe I should have snipped that part out :bored: -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby theoutback » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 am

Good post Ready Mom. I had to do a double take on that part too Dirk, but as soon as you open the link, that is the first thing the author wrote. Trump needs to smarten up though.

Has anyone seen any articles that show likely fallout in different parts of the country? I'd like to see that.
theoutback

Postby rickdun » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 am

theoutback wrote:Good post Ready Mom. I had to do a double take on that part too Dirk, but as soon as you open the link, that is the first thing the author wrote. Trump needs to smarten up though.

Has anyone seen any articles that show likely fallout in different parts of the country? I'd like to see that.

I agree, good post RM. Outback, someone did post a map of fallout. Can't remember who posted it, but was within the last 3 or 4 months.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 am

I posted a detonation mapping link in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=849&t=54797

Here's the direct link:
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby contrarian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 am

There's two general nuclear scenarios one can consider. First is the "all out war" with much destruction on each side. That is the scenario most of the maps are generated around and they are useful for planning on where to live before such a war. After one it might help you find safer places. This scenario is also quite unlikely because of the destruction on both sides. Much more probable is the rogue actor scenario. ISIS and North Korea fit in this category. They have very limited strike abilities so the "map" approach helps only in understanding both blast and radiation distribution. Avoid downwind and don't be too close when it goes off. If you are too close, you're dead. If the blast didn't get you, the only remaining concern is the radiation.

In my little mind the rogue actor is the concern but they will target something with very high visibility. In the US, that's a major city, military installation, something of national significance, or infrastructure. It is an attack on infrastructure, specifically the grid, that is my concern but radiation and burst aren't the killing aspects to worry about with an attack on the grid. ISIS can't do that because you'd need a high altitude burst and they don't have the launch capability. Honestly, nukes not one of my top concerns.
Prepping -- prudence in action
You either stand for something or you will put up with anything.
Study all sides and aspects to a situation but learn to reject 90% of what is said.
contrarian
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:36 am

[quote="Dirk Williams"]Excuse me, but exactly HOW has Trump started an arms race. He's been in office less then 70 days. We are truly living in interesting times. I just think credit needs to go to,those who created the circumstances.

The rest of the post is spot on, thank you.

got into this same exact issue yesterday on another prepper site - people just blindly posting leftist propaganda along with what they consider to prepper info ... the college professor types putting out these articles just have to include THEIR politics - BE AWARE !!!!

if they don't post a disclaimer about the propaganda smear - IT'S THEIR OWNERSHIP - they posted the crap - no weaseling out with freaking BS excuses ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am

:surrender: -Sigh- ... I've edited my opening post to REMOVE the political crap. -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 am

If it all out nuclear war, RUN towards the light, everything after is not survival but slow death.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for the article RM... :thumbup:

NJMike wrote:I posted a detonation mapping link in this topic:
http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/ ... 49&t=54797

Here's the direct link:
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Whoa....That's spooky info.

winds are always changing and at different elevation levels....Does this map take into account real-time wind?

As like in this map?
(Play with the key in lower left corner....zoom in/out on the earth.... click and drag to rotate the planet)
https://earth.nullschool.net/

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Gunns wrote:If it all out nuclear war, RUN towards the light, everything after is not survival but slow death.
:(
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:37 pm

RM, my apologies, wasn't trying to call you out. For what it's worth, I,did try and point out that the prepping part was spot on, as usual from you.

I often don't think, I just post. It's a good trait, and a bad curse, at different times.

Think is obvious I'm pro trump, HOWEVER, I'm growing very very concerned. I spent this morning watching the Senate hearing with FBI/NSA, directors. A couple of points became crystal clear.

The left are way way ahead in orginization, their is zero chances that the senators or their crew of useful idiots could have put all the Intel dump together. They literally beat the snot out of trump, even knowing non of its true. Per both directors, and the senate committee.

They were factual, orginized, and drove their points home systematically, what became crystal clear to me was that only one entity is capable of an Intel,dump of this magnitude, that's deep state. Those folks HATE trump.

These are the war Hawks, those that have and are pushing for war.

I think it's clear that all the moving parts for global war are in place. What remains unclear to me is the trigger, what will the trigger for this event be. I don't know. Is it N Korea, is it Syria, is it the Pacific islands. I think all are viable, I just don't know.

I have been pretty honest regarding Trump only buying us time.

My initial grasp of air after the election was that " for at least the foreseeable" future WWIII was off the table.

After this past week, I think that window is closing quickly. One of my observations is that after 8 years of Obama, the rest of the world no longer takes the US seriously. They think we'll turn the other cheek, like we did for 8 years.

Russia, China, Iran, the US,etc etc, all need to answer to the world, for our actions. We as a nation are culpable for our poor past leadership, and our bullying the rest of the world.

We are weak, very weak right now. Our military has been gutted, our professional,forces are simply worn out, from continuous war, our equipment is old and in need of repair, or replacement.

While we spin our wheels in the ME, our potential enemies used their capital to build a competent modern series of war machines.

China has its first ever foreign military base, and the Iranians and North Korea are both in need of a little spanking.

While my family continues to prep, I just have a very uneasy feeling. It's not that we are each being spied on, I think it's clear to,all that our govt is clearly doing that. I just don't think most people realize just how far down the rabbit hole our nation really is.

It scares the living sh-t out of me, not for my sake, but my children and grand children's sakes.,

I don't know, however I do value everybody here's oppinion. Please chime in, and share your immediate intermediate, and long term vision of where we are, are headed and how we end up in 4 years.

Thank,you in advance.

Dirk Williams
Dirk Williams

Postby rickdun » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Well said Dirk, it's just a matter of time before the lid on the pressure cooker blows. Our enemies don't fear us any longer and our allies don't respect us.

We as a country are falling apart, our representatives in D.C. are fighting each other, they are not fighting for the people that put them in office, they're representing themselves as a party, democrat against republican, republican against democrat and the fake news is pouring gasoline on the fire.

North Korea, Iran and ISIS are the ones to watch out for. Russia and China are pushing us around but they're too smart to really start anything (nuclear). Although Uncle Vladamir is having a good laugh, all he's done is hack our internet to spread the hate/division in the U.S. and it's working in his favor, we are fighting amoung ourselves. We owe China too much money for them to send a nuc.

Then, you have all the snowflakes out there, but spring is here and the snowflakes will melt, but they'll soon turn into buttercups and it'll start all over again. All anyone can do is prep for what they believe is their worse case sonario.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Fortunately, where I am, they wouldn't bother wasting a nuke on cactus and mesquite scrubland. Nothing here worth bothering with.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters