• Advertisement

EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #3 (JUNE 2017)

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #2 (May 2017)

Postby rickdun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:49 am

"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #3 (JUNE 2017)

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 am

Reserved
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #3 (JUNE 2017)

Postby rickdun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Here's some EMP information I found online, not related to North Korea, but some good information: :surrender:

http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/survival/emp.html
rickdun

Postby Mollypup » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:42 pm

rickdun wrote:Here's some EMP information I found online, not related to North Korea, but some good information: :surrender:

http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/survival/emp.html

Good article. He forgot all the people those planes will probably land on as well.

I must ask though.......protecting cell phones, laptops & the like........if electronics are fried, phone lines & cell towers will be fried, as well as satellite dishes. Anything with electrical components will be toast. I can see maybe protecting a 2 way radio.....maybe even an emergency radio and a few other things but I seriously doubt cell towers & internet are going to be working even if you manage to protect your devices.

An EMP timed during rush hour on either the east or west coast (east coast would be better as it includes a larger higher density populated area) would create an enormous immediate death toll & even higher injury toll. Those cars aren't just going to stop working, a large majority of them will be crashing into each other (& anything nearby) at high speed.

He seemed awfully focused on elevators. Personally, while this threat is going on.......I'd be getting fit using the stairs. Luckily though, it's literally been years since I last stepped foot into an elevator.

Is there actually a way to test a faraday cage??

I stock items that don't require power of any sort, those I stock far more than anything that might. Ok, I don't stock anything that requires power. I have a few things but they're leftovers from camping. I do so because usually they're less apt to require skilled maintenance or complicated parts, and also because if you have items that use power and no one else does........you're going to be drawing unwanted attention.

I'm not sure most people have a clue just how dark night is with no power whatsoever, or how far sound travels without all the white noise our tech oriented world creates. If your area is not as dark or as silent as everyone else's areas......they are going to come find out why. Heck, I invested in a solar oven simply because sure I can grill......but smoke & cooking smells are like radar to hungry mouths. ** Reminds me I'm going to look up the ancient way to make a ground oven**

My preps are geared to keep any attention OFF me & mine. The plan is to blend in. You're hungry & thristy? Oh gawd, yes! Us too!

Food preps are gearing toward dehydrated. Long shelf life, but don't need to cook unless it's safe to cook. Just grab a handful & eat. Maybe not pleasant but just may save your rear in a pinch too.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 am

Good post Rick. The more I read, the more I get confused. I'm trying to cover my bases, but wow, there is a lot of conflicting info out there, just like in that video. One guy saying it's not an issue, one guy says it's a huge. One guy says you must ground a faraday cage, another says you don't. One says test your faraday cage w/ a cell phone, one says that's not true.

The best advice is as you say Rick, stock stuff as if there is no power. Heck, even if N. Korea doesn't ever set off a emp, there is always the sun and a cme to think about. That has happened, it WILL happen again!
theoutback

Postby rickdun » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Outback, I think a lot of people are confused. I try to prep for anything. Mollypup is the one that said to prep more stuff that an EMP won't affect and I agree with her post.

You know the old saying, prey for the best but prepare for the worst. Here's another EMP post/threat and it looks like O'BOZO dropped the ball on this one:

https://townhall.com/columnists/katieki ... s-n2326771
rickdun

Postby rickdun » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:32 am

Here' an article on cyber attack by Russia and China on electrical grid. I had one, but lost it about North Korea cyber attack on the power grid, darn computers:

http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... -10-years/
rickdun

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:48 am

Mattis calls North Korea's threats 'clear and present danger,' criticizes ally China
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06 ... china.html

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said in no uncertain terms Saturday that North Korea presented a "clear and present danger," while also criticizing China for ratcheting up the tension over contested islands in the South China Sea.

His sharp words for both countries suggested he believed China would, out of self-interest, pressure North Korea to halt its nuclear and missile programs even as Washington pushes Beijing to change course in the South China Sea.

Speaking at an international security conference in Singapore, Mattis said the Trump administration was encouraged by China's renewed commitment to working with the U.S. and others to rid North Korea of its nuclear weapons. He also said he thought Beijing ultimately would see Kim Jong Un's regime as a liability rather than an asset.

He was, however, unrelentingly critical of North Korea, a politically and economically isolated nation whose leaders have long viewed the United States as a military threat, in part because of periodic U.S. military exercises with South Korea, which the rogue nation sees as preparations for attacks aimed at destroying its ruling elite.

Mattis called North Korea an "urgent military threat." In a question-and-answer session with his audience of national security experts from across the globe, he was asked whether the U.S. might attack the North pre-emptively and without warning South Korea in advance.

"We're working diplomatically, economically, we're trying to exhaust all possible alternatives to avert this race for a nuclear weapon in violation of ... the United Nations' restrictions on North Korea's activities," he said. "We want to stop this. We consider it urgent."

China blocked tough new sanctions against North Korea that the United States pushed in the U.N. Security Council on Friday. However, the Security Council did vote unanimously to add 15 individuals and four entities linked to the North's nuclear and missile programs to a U.N. sanctions blacklist.

Still, Mattis said the U.S. was fully committed to working with its global partners, Reuters reported. "Like it or not, we are a part of the world...What a crummy world if we all retreat inside our borders," he replied.

In his speech to the Shangri-La Dialogue, sponsored by the International Institute for Strategic Studies, Mattis sought to balance his hopeful comments on China with sharp criticism of what he called Beijing's disregard for international law by its "indisputable militarization" of artificial islands in disputed areas of the South China Sea.

"We oppose countries militarizing artificial islands and enforcing excessive maritime claims unsupported by international law," he said. "We cannot and will not accept unilateral, coercive changes to the status quo."

Rep. Mac Thornberry, a Republican from Texas and chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told a news conference later that he believed Mattis had effectively stressed the U.S. commitment to allies in the Asia-Pacific region.

"He was very clear, very strong," said Thornberry, who led a bipartisan congressional delegation on an Asia tour and attended Saturday's Singapore conference.

Overall, Mattis' speech struck a positive, hopeful tone for cooperation and peace in the Asia-Pacific region, where he and his predecessors have made it a priority to nurture and strengthen alliances and partnerships.

"While competition between the U.S. and China, the world's two largest economies, is bound to occur, conflict is not inevitable," he said. "Our two countries can and do cooperate for mutual benefit. We will pledge to work closely with China where we share common cause.

"While the North Korean regime has a long record of murder of diplomats, of kidnapping, killing of sailors and criminal activity, its nuclear weapons program is maturing as a threat to all," Mattis said. "As a matter of national security, the United States regards the threat from North Korea as a clear and present danger."

The U.S. has about 28,500 troops permanently based in South Korea, a defense treaty ally.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:52 am

US Secretary of Defence James Mattis says North Korea is the region's 'most urgent threat'
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... wjmtv.html

US Secretary of Defence James Mattis has warned North Korea is the "most urgent threat" to Australia's regional security and foreshadowed an increased US defence force presence in the Asia-Pacific region as he prepared to land in Sydney on Monday.

Mr Mattis praised Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for his "dogmatic pragmatism" and his optimism to challenges in the region, before meetings with Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop, Defence Minister Marise Payne and US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson next week.

Mr Mattis signalled the military aggression of the North Korean regime would be a central part of discussions in Australia, warning the "current situation cannot continue".

"North Korea's particular pursuit of nuclear weapons is not new but the regime has increased the scope and pace of its efforts," he said at the Shangri La Dialogue in Singapore. "It's nuclear weapons maturing is a threat to us all."

Mr Mattis said North Korea had a clear intention of acquiring intercontinental missiles.

"The era of strategic patience is over," he said. "There is a strong international consensus that the current situation cannot continue."

Mr Mattis said the Trump administration would increase diplomatic and economic pressure until Pyongyang permanently abandoned its ballistic missile program.

On Friday, the UN Security Council voted to increase sanctions against North Korea after a series of missile launches. The council instigated asset freezes on 14 North Korean officials and the national Koryo Bank.

Speaking after Mr Mattis in Singapore, Senator Payne said Australia would work closely with the US to "increase the cost of North Korea's behaviour".

In strong comments on China, Mr Mattis condemned it for its ongoing territorial expansion in the South China Sea while also hinting at a closer strategic relationship with Taiwan.

Asked by a general of the Chinese People's Liberation Army in the audience if this meant the US was abandoning the "one China policy," which treats China and Taiwan as one country, Mr Mattis denied this was the case.

He said while competition between the US and China was bound to occur, "conflict is not inevitable".

On Friday, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull addressed the dialogue and also took aim at China, warning a "coercive China would find its neighbours resenting [it]" over its expansion in the South China Sea.

Mr Turnbull said Australia would not use the US alliance to "abrogate our responsibility for our own destiny" and that the "United States' own interests in the Indo-Pacific demand more US engagement, not less".

He also urged leaders to "reject the de-globalisation impulse," in what could be seen as a criticism of some of the US administration's more isolationist policies, after the US withdrawal from the Paris accord and the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.

Mr Mattis said while the TPP "didn't suit the needs of our population", it did not mean the US was turning its back on bilateral trade.

"What a crummy world we would live in if we all retreated into our own countries," he said.

Mr Mattis said the Prime Minister's speech reminded the world that "large nations, small nations and even shrimps" can thrive in robust relationships but that every country needed to contribute more to their security, drawing on similar comments by US President Donald Trump at NATO this week.

Before talks with Ms Bishop and Senator Payne on Monday, Mr Mattis said the Trump administration would expand the Department of Defence's footprint in the Asia Pacific and "strengthen US operational capability in the region".
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Happy Birthday ReadyMom! May you be blessed with many more :clap:
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:26 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:Happy Birthday ReadyMom! May you be blessed with many more :clap:
Reb

Ya, happy BD ReadyMom, 30 YO again.

Here's the post I lost but found on cyber attack on grid by North Korea:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/getti ... le/2620280
rickdun

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Awwww! Thanks you guys! This one was a wee bit tough to swallow. A new era begins. But, my family really treated me from start to finish: Flowers, Balloons, a full pitcher of Mimosas waiting in the fridge for breakfast when I woke up, a spa manicure with our daughter & amazing birthday dinner in Hershey (PA). End of 1 decade, beginning of another. Getting older, I'm gonna have to pack my buckets lighter, for the next 10 years! -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Mollypup » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Happy Birthday RM!! My eldest granddaughter shares a bday with you, she turned 17 today (omg where does the time go, I swear I was just changing her diapers last week!) Glad you had such a nice bday celebration.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 am

Happy Birthday .
Don't worry getting there was an uphill climb .
The rest will be a downhill role .
The next time that little fat freak in NK states he will Nuke America , we should just wipe him out and a few million of his followers . Or we can just wait till he hits us and cry about it .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Happy B-Day RM may God bless you each and every day...
:happybday:
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Next

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters