• Advertisement

Swen Saw

Post Reviews on your favorite survival gear here. Find something new? Let us know about it

Moderator: medic72

Swen Saw

Postby headhunter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:34 am

For a survival situation, I guess you want to get as much work done with as little expenditure of energy as possible. There are times you really don't want to make a whole bunch of noise. I really like axes, however, there are times when they aren't the best tool'
The Swen Saw folds to about 2" wide , about 1/2 an inch thick, and about 20 inches long. Yes, it is like a "stick" when folded. With 2 sides of its triangle shape (when unfolded) being made from aluminum its weight is less than a pound. To take it apart you unscrew the wing nut, slide the aluminum colored piece toward the opposite direction the wing nut was attached to and it slips out of the red piece that has acted as a sheath. The saw blade swings out of the aluminum colored piece (they're attached with a roll pin) and it fits in a rectangular notch in the red "sheath" piece at the same time the screw that is attached to the saw blade slips into a round hole on the opposite end of the red sheath piece and the wingnut is re attached. This triangle shape allows a 13-14 inch (approximately depends on what your cutting) draw stroke. When putting the saw away the screw goes into the opposite end of the leather loop provided to hang the saw.
I was first introduced to these amazing saws working for the Boy Scouts and the YMCA at a summer camp. I own two of these saws; one is in my 4X4 truck and the other is in the wife's Jeep. I guess I've been using them for 45 years. They are not a chain saw, they are not a good crosscut saw, but, they are durable (they have taken a ton of abuse in the truck), light, strong, they require almost no space,and I'd surely rather have one with me than be without.
Gloves are good to wear when using this saw. Because of the depth of the teeth and width ,this saw will jump when you start a cut so instruct youngsters first (while I was young I watched a scout rip up a thumb while starting a cut) they come sharp. I wish they came with more set to the teeth, I've needed a sm. wedge and the butt of my axe when I bit off more than I should have.
I think I've figured out that "woodcrafting" is building stuff from wood, the saw makes making spoons and wood joints a whole lot easier. You slice into the saw cut and stop wo splitting your wood.
headhunter

Re: Swen Saw

Postby 98dot6 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Very cool and compact saw. Thanks for sharing. I like it and might just order one. At one time years ago, I carried a folding pruning saw in my BOB. However, I later discovered that I much preferred to carry a compact pocket chain saw, plus I sometimes carry a Kabar Machete for wood chopping, but it is heavy (and I also like it as an alternate use as a backup weapon). So those are my two current choice tools for wood cutting/wood chopping. I'll give the Swen Saw a closer look though. The compact pocket chain saw cut faster than my folding pruning saw, weighed less and took up less space. It cuts through wood quickly when needed for firewood, making camp, etc. I just put a little WD40 on it when needed, and have a file to sharpen it.

Compact Pocket Chain Saw:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026O ... HZW6BI3PHZ
98dot6

Postby bacpacker1513 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:50 pm

I got one of the po kettle chain saws last year for the GHB. Haven't used it much yet. But it cuts great. Never tried the Sven saw. Neat lookin item.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby 98dot6 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 pm

What is a "po kettle chain saw"? Can you provide a link to a picture of one? Thanks.

bacpacker1513 wrote:I got one of the po kettle chain saws last year for the GHB. Haven't used it much yet. But it cuts great. Never tried the Sven saw. Neat lookin item.
98dot6

Postby Fyrediver » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:28 am

I've got one in each vehicle (along with an ax and tomahawk). My ex-girlfriend always made fun of that until we were driving around an island and found the road blocked by a downed tree. There was a guy already there with one and he got the second cut done right as we drove up. I helped get the log off the road and we were on our way. She said, "I guess you told me so didn't you?" Excellent saw.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 pm

The blade looks kinda like a hacksaw style blade. Will a hacksaw or bowsaw blade fit?
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Cowlouie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:25 pm

I assume what backpacker has is similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survival ... B001H9N8C0

I have one of these and have used it camping; I was amazed at how well it cut. Similar story to Fyerdiver, the boys and I were out trout fishing and a tree had fallen down across an access road. We used this little hand chain saw to make enough cuts so that we could clear the road.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at" Theodore Roosevelt
Cowlouie
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:55 pm

I've got a couple of the compact chain saws. We started with one of them, and bought a second one after using it to take down some branches from one of our trees that were well over our heads. We just slung one end over the branch and started cutting. It cut through the branches VERY easily.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby terence » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:47 am

Hello IceFire congratulations for having that couple of compact chain saw. Imagine it could easily so meaning this is great to use. I would love to have it someday.

Postby Dirk Williams » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:52 am

Fantastic saws. Got one in each of our vehicles. Lite, easy to put together, and sturdy when cutting.

I'm cleaning up our back yard trees using a fiskars bow saw, non take down, and the Sven, These saws are remarkable. I've spent the week trimming all my trees, and these saws both breeze thru the limbs like butter. Well I did run into a tough plumb tree that really told some work. But I got it done.

We also have those chain chain saws which work, but not nearly as well as the Sven saws do. In my shooting bag I carry a two foot long folding saw, for cutting branches. Much more efficient then the chain saws, I use to use those, until I discovered the folding saws.

Great kit to have, and the Sven saw weighs about a pound, so it's light with a ton of funtional use.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby OC357 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:23 pm

I have 2 Sven Saws and used them a lot back-packing. They are awesome and aluminum so they don't weigh anything and fold up and can be packed anywhere or even used around the house. One I keep strapped on to a bag in the jeep.

OC
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Return to Survival Gear