• Advertisement

Watches - Trying to find a good one!

Post Reviews on your favorite survival gear here. Find something new? Let us know about it

Moderator: medic72

Re: Watches - Trying to find a good one!

Postby 101airborne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 pm

DarkKnight68 wrote:Well, Rolex's are outside of budget. I want something functional and practical. I don't want to spend a ton that can be spent elsewhere.

While the cost is above your stated budget a Rolex isn't nessecarially (sp?) unaffordable. I bought my Daytona at a pawn shop for $175.
101airborne

Postby 101airborne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Fenix wrote:Personally I have been using Casio G-Shock watches since the mid 90's. I have never had one die of anything but old age and they can take a beating.

This is what I have now as my "work watch", but it is not analog. I have switched to only wearing diving watches due to having some other watches fog up or start leaking due to old age. It's also solar which I find to be very nice. It also updates the time automatically every night.
Image.

I like this one. Solar power is a definite plus. Not having to replace batteries.
101airborne

Postby 101airborne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:52 pm

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Why not buy an old stem wind watch, might have some at pawn shops. The old ones will serve you the best.

Good luck! I've been looking for over 5 years.
101airborne

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Does the watch have to Match your Batman costume? Does it have to be indestructable? :rofl: :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby kenjabroni » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:44 pm

I agree with G Shock. I am very tough on watches with work and sweating and such. They usually dont last me more than a few weeks. I got this one last september and it has been wonderful. I feel naked without it now. Have a nice tan line to go along with it. I do wish mine was solar as well.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby air commando » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:49 am

I have a Seiko Kinetic Dive watch that I've had when I was an operator and I just went back to it a few weeks ago. I was using a Fitbit, which is nice, but I felt like everything I do is tracked. I started using a regular watch that doesn't need a battery and can go down 300 ft without breaking. The wife and I went on vacation and we were sitting in a pool with friends and my Fitbit that I thought was waterproof is only good for showers or rain, not getting submerged. It was destroyed after standing in chest-deep water for an hour. So I'm back to what works and what's reliable and I don't need to know how many steps I have for the day. If I walk my dogs I know I'll get at least a couple of miles in.

This is close to my watch, I just have the metal band.
https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKA413-Adv ... B001ELKED2
air commando

Postby AussieJoe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 am

I run with G-shock watches as well. My current one I've had on 8years now and everyday I'm at work it directly exposed to grease, oils, coal dust, dirt, diesel, solvents etc and still going strong. The solar powered is great as well, as I've never seen the battery bar drop from full, and that's including the regular 6 days in a row when I'm off work that it sits on the kitchen bench.
The G-shocks also come in a dual display if you really wanting the analogue feature.
AussieJoe

Postby kenjabroni » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Just wanted to update on this as well. I went snorkeling in September and meant to take my G Shock off while doing so. Well while I was in the water in Jamaica I was swimming around looked at my wrist and said ruh roh. I had it in the salt water on two different adventures on that trip and it still works like a charm. It also got doused with chicken blood today and seems to have no effect on it. Ive never been easy on watches between work and the amount I sweat but this thing is a beast Im over a year of using and wearing it everyday and its just a magnificent watch
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Mountain » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:42 am

Just thought of something. Is the Casio G shock EMP Proof? IDK. Something to think about.
SEMPER PARATUS
PAX PER POTENS
Mountain
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Survival Gear