• Advertisement

best machete or axe/tomahawk

Post Reviews on your favorite survival gear here. Find something new? Let us know about it

Moderator: medic72

best machete or axe/tomahawk

Postby bcguy01 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 am

I am looking for one of these for my BOB. I want to stay around $50. I am open to either option. I will use it for defense and brush. I want one that can hold an edge "so strong steel", comfort in the handle with good grip and long term life span. I have had knives that are good for a year or so and suck or break. I want a good item. I plan on getting lessons with what ever item I get whether it is the tomahawk or the machete. please let me know what yall have and your experiences with them. :ninja:
bcguy01

Re: best machete or axe/tomahawk

Postby Kyle2133 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 am

anything sog, i know people that have bought them and have only heard great things about them.
Kyle2133

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:43 am

I bought a Gerber. It is a piece of crap. Stay away from it.
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby redneck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 am

I have Cold Steel. They have a great selection in both the tomahawk and the machete. I have use my tomahawk for about 10 years now.
If a man thrive on other peoples labor will he survive on his own labor?
redneck
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Drakenstead1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 am

Machete is a cheap agricultural tool that is used world over by folks who depend on them to feed their families. I've bought and used many of them over the years both here and abroad. The best one's have never been the cheapest nor have they been the most expensive.
Recently a cheap lousy Harbour Freight tool bought for $4.98 was constructed of steel that edge folded with the first cut and could not take any kind of an edge there after.
$12.95 from Fleet Farm (Local Farm Supply) takes and holds an excellent working edge. I use it almost daily and from proformance thus far will continue into the future. It came without a sheath. A little salvaged plastic, application of some cutting and a heat gun with a bit of paint and I have a custom sheath that also holds a whet stone and a file with a lenght of para-cord to boot. The SOG & Cold Steel are excellent. I have used both but why spend the extra money on something that you use to hog out brush?

Knives, Axes, and Machetes are utilatarian tools that take hard everyday use. No matter how much you pay for one they inevitably break or get lost. I'd recommend buying three or four of the moderate priced units instead of the Cold Steel or SOG. Why pay for the marketing and advertising? I think that with a little practice you can learn how to spot good steel. As an example, in the knife department my Mora Norwegain Army knife is an excellent though "un-tacticool" tool. When it gets lost or broken I'm out $14.95. Same principal applies with the machete.

Go for cheap "off brand". Learn to spot good steel. Buy more than one.
Learn to make your own custom sheaths. It's quick & easy. 'sides in a post apocalyptic world sheath makers have a marketable skill eh.

Hack and slash!!!!!!!!
Drakenstead1

Postby Das Sheep » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:08 am

Fiskers makes great axes and hatchets that are very affordable. They are usually offered under the Gerber label outside of europe.
Das Sheep
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby bane5150 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 am

All good posts...Learn what blade materials you would like to have then choose from there...My cold Steel Kukri magnum machete was $30 its for bush whacking and self defense, super strong hard to beat. Also look at you tube people do torture tests on all kinds of blades and you can get a idea of what they can handle.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Tinga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 am

Woodsmans Pal.

Not some marketed "Survival Zombie Special Forces" crap. But a working tool.
http://www.woodmanspal.com/

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson
Tinga
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

Postby Hiker72 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 am

Tinga wrote:Woodsmans Pal.

Not some marketed "Survival Zombie Special Forces" crap. But a working tool.
http://www.woodmanspal.com/

And a very good tool.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby lll000000lll » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm

redneck wrote:I have Cold Steel. They have a great selection in both the tomahawk and the machete. I have use my tomahawk for about 10 years now.

I throw axes and bushCraft and my axe of choice is the ColdSteel Norsehawk. got it for $20 had it for a few years now. Love it!

"You don't have a soul, You are a soul....you have a body"

lll000000lll

Postby wadragunov » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:21 pm

i'm an axe person over machetes. i usually carry a Council Tools Velvicut Hudson Bay axe. it's going to be too expensive for most people as it is up there in price, $120, with the Gransfor Bruks and the like. THe axe in the background of my profile pic is the velvicut hudson bay. Council Tool also makes a 1.75# Hudson Bay axe that is really good for $38. i would recommend the 1.75# Hudson Bay axe with the 26" handle for $51.

according to another forum i'm on, Condor makes really good machetes.
I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings. -- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Watch out for the fellow who talks about putting things in order! Putting things in order always means getting other people under control. -- Denis Diderot, Supplement to Bougainville's 'Voyage,' 1796
wadragunov
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby bcguy01 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 am

thanks all your input is nice to hear. I think I will just look for a few of the quality steel cheap ones. that post makes alot of since
bcguy01

Postby bane5150 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm

bcguy01 wrote:thanks all your input is nice to hear. I think I will just look for a few of the quality steel cheap ones. that post makes alot of since

I need to get a axe and a hatchet I like to have as many tools available as I can. My machete gets alot of work done but there are points when a axe would have been 3 times faster with less sweat. I also keep a hand saw in the BOV its better than chopping and very fast.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby codyaaron » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 pm

redneck wrote:I have Cold Steel. They have a great selection in both the tomahawk and the machete. I have use my tomahawk for about 10 years now.

do agree with you i also have cold steel and its very durable and last long
I wish i had henckels knives because then I could keep both Dracula and Superman away
codyaaron

Postby lll000000lll » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm

codyaaron wrote:

do agree with you i also have cold steel and its very durable and last long

Cold Steel all the way
"You don't have a soul, You are a soul....you have a body"

lll000000lll

Next

Return to Survival Gear