• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Mental health

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Mental health

Postby JennyBird » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 pm

I crochet, I design & grow gardens, I draw, I press flowers, I read, I carve wood, I do lots of different things... but lately, I research, I plan, I research and I plan. Prepping seems to have consumed every spare moment I have, and even my thoughts when I am busy doing something else. Is this normal? Does it get better? Am I becoming obsessed? Do all/most preppers do the same thing? I seem to have this sense of urgency lately... like I woke from a dream and am now planted squarely in a reality that I'm desperately trying to get ready for.

All of this dawned on me today. Then I began to ask myself if other preppers are in the same mind-set. Then I wondered if there is a "proper" way to prepare yourself (and family) mentally for everything we're prepping for.

All in all, mine is a mental health question. How do you prep for that?

Please share your thoughts.

I was going to post this in a forum that suited mental health, but couldn't find one... so this forum won. Feel free to move if appropriate.
JennyBird

Re: Mental health

Postby namwal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Try very hard to maintain good mental health. If and when it hits the fan, your mind will be taxed enough. 

Prep as best you can, but enjoy the here and now. Even after the event, you should have some plans for recreation. We are often at our best when under pressure. Great works of art, inventions and philosophies have been created during times of war, famine, plague and great suffering. 

Those who will be mentally able to accept the new norm will prosper greater that those who don't. Continuation of those activities that you find enjoyable and challenging will be beneficial to your coping skills and setting a calming tone for others.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Whisper » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 pm

JennyBird - I've been at this a long time and have seen things change about prepping. I remember being where you are. I cope with humor. That's why I make jabs at people who know me on the board and they come right back. It relieves the stress. Make it fun. Don't focus on it's going to happen soon because nobody know what, when or how. That's why our motto is "prepare for the worst and hope for the best." Look at it as a change in lifestyle. A change in eating better. Watch some funny movies.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyBird » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:25 pm

I just feel like I'm so far behind. It is what it is though right? I think I'm going to duck out of work a little early today and go home to play in the dirt... which is long overdue.

Thanks guys.
JennyBird

Postby Goodwin17 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Hey there. I'm new to prepping myself, and I do feel some of the urgency that you do. You have to keep in mind that you can only do what is humanly possible at the moment. Prepping is a thing that does not end, and you cannot rush something that doesn't end. Do what you can at the moment, but enjoy your life to the fullest. Take time each day for yourself to do the things you enjoy, because if you don't, you will find yourself in a miserable state. You can also find things that you totally enjoy that will help your prepping in the long run. You like playing in the dirt, and that is a great hobby that will help your prepping. Hang in there!
~Heather B.
Goodwin17

Postby spouse2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm right where you are, but my personality tends to be very focused/obsessive at times so I keep this stupid little hallmark type card at my computer which says "If you can't make waves, make ripples". My budget keeps me from making waves.
spouse2

Postby LetsPrep11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Okay, I’ll admit to being in your place less than a year ago. After plenty of research, I made a list of everything I need, then panicked when I stared at the length of the list. This prepping business was going to take a lot of time and money and I wondered if dying wouldn’t be a lot less painful than prepping (just kidding). In spite of my wallet’s resistance, something inside me prodded that the SHTF event could happen any day so I needed to get it in gear. For weeks my dreams were restless, my palms sweated, and my blood pressure soared until tiny pinpricks dotted my vision. Then I took a step back and inserted common sense.

I’m big on statistics and spread sheets so I reviewed the facts. The U.S. had suffered some severe regional natural disasters, the economy was struggling, and unemployment was too depressing to think about but our world was still intact. The two and three year old warnings from Youtube and bloggers that we’d soon be living in bunkers and foraging in the woods for our food hadn’t materialized (a disappointment to a few) so maybe I had time. That’s when I prioritized my buying plan, began to cut coupons, watched for sales, and took my prepping from fast track to a slow but steady pace. Many months later, the sky still hasn’t fallen but I’ve checked off most of the items on my list and I don’t owe the credit card company my first grandchild.

It’s easy to be caught up with prepping and envisioning the ‘what if’s’ because it’s different and exciting but don’t forget there’s still life out there. Those are real people, not zombies, roaming your streets so put away your survival books and your computer and go have some fun! Those cans of spam you need to inventory will still be there when you get back.
LetsPrep11

Postby spouse2 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:09 pm

over the last week I've learned what works for me: my goal is to make 1 thing happen each day of week and 2 things on Sat & Sun. Yep, I have a running "to do" list but it's overwhelming & way more than I can achieve financially. Because I work full time and commute 2.5 hrs/day I don't have much free time so my 1 thing may be small (but it's still a ripple). Example: yesterday I stopped @ grocery store on way home & got several pkg's of beans ON SALE. Today I hit a yard sale where I picked up a hurricane lamp, and I'm headed outside to clear more brush (to make way for fencing). Tomorrow, I'll be posting ads on Craigslist of things I don't use. Then I'll download some Survival Mom podcasts to my MP3 so I can listen at work next week. Get the idea? Baby steps is all I can handle. I just know I'm doing what I can with what I got. It's hard to "let go and let God", but really - isn't life out of our control anyway? We like to think we are in charge :rolleyes:
spouse2

Postby JennyBird » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 pm

I've taken a few days off to indulge in my favorite therapy... getting dirt under my nails. I've been enjoying all the flowers peeking up through the ground, my hubby and I planted some lettuce, cabbage, carrots and radishes. I've trimmed the roses, pulled some weeds, and watched a snake eat a bat (now THAT was awesome!). Today, a box arrived... it was full of 1000's of seeds that I ordered a few weeks ago... Talk about a kid in a candy store! I'm in a very happy place right now as Spring is my favorite season. My next goal is to set up the hothouse and get some seeds started.

There was a hump there, but I think I'm over it now. I still have prepping firmly planted in my priorities, but I'm making sure I mix it up with happy stuff. Thanks so much for the encouragement and for letting me know that I'm not alone.

Happy first day of SPRING my friends!!! :clap:
JennyBird

Postby LetsPrep11 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm

JennyBird, I was glad to read that you’re feeling better. It sounds like gardening was the perfect medicine for your artistic soul. You sound like an amazingly talented person who loves to create beauty. Prepping would go against that nature so don’t forget to carve time out for what makes you smile. For me it’s taking a long walk. The east coast of Florida is paradise in the spring and, as I walk, I marvel at the incredible beauty God has created. For me it’s extremely relaxing, just as having your hands in the soil is to you. Who wouldn’t smile at glorious pink and purple Hibiscus blooms in March?
LetsPrep11

Postby char » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 pm

I understand what you are going thru. I suffer from chronic depression and have been bedridden for one year because of chronic pain. I need to get a new hip and I am to fat. I am down eighty lbs. With eighty more to go tip I can get it replaced. Right now I am on pain patches for cancer patients because of the pain.oops enough (Censored word. I'm a Potty mouth)! ! Lol. Anyway I feel that panic because no prepping is being done at all!! The only thing I can do is make lists and learn stuff. Hubby wont me implement it and my four kids are ...well...kids. I cant get them either. Thus my frustration and panic. Aargh! Thanks and don't worry I think everyone understands. :)
char

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions