• Advertisement

What supplys for pandemics? (besides food)

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Re: What supplys for pandemics? (besides food)

Postby kr105 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 am

3ADScout wrote:Kr105: what do you think about the use of Benadryl to calm an up set stomach? I have used it and seems to help settle an up set stomach.

Also what about the use of these lights and machines that claim to destroy germs in the air. Do you know of any studies that have looked at these claims? I noticed that my dentist's office is even using one. Thanks

Benadryl is sedating, but an old fashioned stomach settler is real ginger ale. Used by mothers for decades.

As for the lights/machines, when I was in family practice I had an air cleaner in my exam room that was a combination hepa filter and germicidal light. There is a medical study that showed it cleared 74% of virus particles in the test chamber. I have not seen anything to prove the "ionic" machines work, but I've honestly not looked in the past few years.

My pandemic plans call for undressing in the garage when I get home and tossing clothes into the washer, non-washables into a sterlite tote with a germicidal lamp in it and turning it on.

You can easily and cheaply make a germicidal lamp at home. I know I previously posted how to do it, but that may have been on plan for pandemic's forum. It's before work right now and time is limited. I'll try to find the post, or if it's not on apn, will put up the directions by the end of the weekend.
kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:36 pm

kr105 wrote:
You can easily and cheaply make a germicidal lamp at home. I know I previously posted how to do it, but that may have been on plan for pandemic's forum. It's before work right now and time is limited. I'll try to find the post, or if it's not on apn, will put up the directions by the end of the weekend.

KR ... could you also post how you would make the germicidal tote box? How you designed the lamp to attach to the box (lid??). Thanks! -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby MoeRN » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:06 pm

As with anything....knowledge is power. Handwashing is vital....antibacterial hand sanitizer will NOT kill viruses. Also learn how to take off gowns, masks, gloves and any other personal protective equipment correctly......you can inadvertantly expose yourself and not realize it if you take it off incorrectly.
Mom of 3 beautiful boys
Married to high school sweetheart for 10 years
RN (7 years experience) currently working in heart and vascular intensive care unit
P+

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
MoeRN
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby kr105 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:56 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
KR ... could you also post how you would make the germicidal tote box? How you designed the lamp to attach to the box (lid??). Thanks! -k

Duct taped the light onto the top of the tote with a slit where the cord comes out. Worked out perfectly using a broken lid (the box I had on top of it caused one corner of the lid to crack/cave in -- that's where I bring the cord through. The lamp itself is just duct taped to the lid. If you wanted to get fancy, you could punch two tiny holes on either side of the light and use a wire to hold the lamp in place. Alternately, if you have a decent size light (at least 10+ inches) you could just stand it on on end so that it's vertical in the box. As long as the light gets to the item, it's good.

I have a backup light ready to go that runs in AA batteries and that's stored in a metal trash can in case of an emp on top of a pandemic (Mr. Murphy loves to run disasters!)
kr105

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks kr! :thumbsup: -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gelotri » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Many approach masks as a way to protect from airborne pathogens. How many actually realize that the human eye also breathes? I have yet found a suitable (and cost-effective) means of preventing airborne viruses from being absorbed via the eye. Other than an actual gas mask, I dont see another option.
A true soldier prays for peace but stands vigilant - A fool prays for war and beats the drums
Gelotri
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 am

Gelotri wrote:Many approach masks as a way to protect from airborne pathogens. How may actually realize that the human eye also breathes? I have yet found a suitable (and cost-effective) means of preventing airborne viruses from being absorbed via the eye. Other than an actual gas mask, I dont see another option.

It has been suggested to use swim goggles. They are suctioned to your face. Swimmers use them to keep their eyes dry. Should work! -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby MoeRN » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:52 pm

You are less likely to get a virus by having your eye exposed to the airborne pathogen in the average air----unless someone sneezes, you get bodily secretions in your eyes, or blood exposure in your eyes. All the more reasons why I wear glasses to work, as opposed to my contacts. I know a nurse who got a form of herpes in her eye after being sneezed and coughed on. Swim goggles wouldn't be a bad idea. :)
Mom of 3 beautiful boys
Married to high school sweetheart for 10 years
RN (7 years experience) currently working in heart and vascular intensive care unit
P+

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
MoeRN
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby RLSunday » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks everyone for the great links. A special shout out to Illini Warrior. :clap: I have a five day stay in the hospital coming up and because of all the wires/monitoring equipment I'll be hooked up to I'll only be able to wear shirts that snap down the front. Either that or live in the same shirt the whole time :thumbdown: I was searching all over and all I could find was granny stuff or men's pjs and they were pricey. However with the link you provided I found just what I need for a really good price :D, It was really bumming me out thinking about how much I was going to have to spend just to dress myself for a hospital admission in order to keep myself out of the indignity :blush: of a hospital gown. This will be so much better!

As for pandemics - I can't think of anything so far as prevention is concerned that hasn't already been covered but as for taking care of someone you've got in sick bay/quarantine -disposable everything.
Mealtime - plates, bowls, silverware, cups, straws
Hygiene - trash bags, tissues, sponge on a stick swabs or disposable tooth brushes, Wet Ones (wash up after meals not killing virus) in individual packs, disposable bed pads, paper towels
Self - disposable booties/shoe covers
Also in your sick room add some hooks and shelves to hang stuff from, set things on - people worry so much about getting coughed on but think nothing of setting stuff on chairs or worse floors :shakeno:

All of this is handy to have anytime you're caring for someone ill but during a pandemic, particularly during one combined with some other real life survival event/crisis they become supper important for cutting down on the work load. Believe me even if you have all this handy stuff you will still have plenty of things to heat big cauldrons of water up for, to wash, dry, otherwise clean, disinfect and properly store for round two of patient messing everything up again. And sometimes again and again and again. Which reminds me adult size disposable diapers, disposable incontinence wipes, disposable bibs/shirt protectors and a good barrier cream should really be on that list. I like Lantiseptic skin protectant so far as over the counter stuff goes but if anyone knows of anything (pharmaceutical not homemade) that works better and costs less please share :help: Thanks
RLSunday

Postby ReadyMom » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Image Bumping this thread for visibility, due to Ebola situation in Africa. -k
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions