• Advertisement

Where to Hide My Survival Binder

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Where to Hide My Survival Binder

Postby KendiRae » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:24 pm

I started making up my binder today. Where do I hide it that it's easily accessible? My hubby is paranoid that I made things worse by putting all that info into one handy thing a person could steal if burglarizing our home. :(

KendiRaeBee
KendiRae

Re: Where to Hide My Survival Binder

Postby valentinoswife » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Keep them tucked in with cookbooks and have the first couple of pages printed out recipes from the Internet! I always hide stuff in plain sight!
Valentinoswife
Pinch of Prepping http://wp.me/P4203D-7
valentinoswife
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Rabid » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I can think of a lot of other things that would get stolen before a notebook filled with what most theives would think of as useless. Put it with your diary or other notebooks. While it may be worth its weight in gold to you, I really don't think they will waste their time on a loose leaf notebook.
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Postby Dedra » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Put it behind or under your couch. I don't hide my Binder, it sets on a shelf here on my desk. I don't mess with it much.. update inventory every so often. I bought a few journals from the dollar store that I call my "prepper journals" each one for different info that I leave setting out in the open as well. I want to make sure my kids know how to survive rough times if I'm not here or my parents are not around. My son reads them when ever he's hanging around the house.. I have no doubt he will do well. :D
Dedra
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby DarkKnight68 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Being somewhat new to this, what is a survival binder? I am guessing you keep records of your preps like food and water. What else would be included?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
DarkKnight68
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't hide mine...I have several different binders, and they're all on a bookshelf with all the other books. I seriously doubt a thief would bother with some plain binders...thy'd be much more interested in my husband's collection of videos.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 pm

My survival binder is just an old binder. It it there are many maps and detailed lists of most everything one could think of. Even a GPS reading to an old privy site. X marks the spot - to the home of a bunch of well armed, psychotic skinheads I once met. A wealth of helpful information. A few are real, but which ones? The two people that need to know, do know. Prepping can be fun! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby KendiRae » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks guys. I think I will hide in plain sight. I have binders with recipes at I've either gotten from magazines or the Internet, I'll just put it with them. :)

KendiRaeBee
KendiRae

Postby KendiRae » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 am

DarkKnight,

It's a binder filled with pertinent financial info, food records, copies of iDs, copies of credit and bank cards, and recent photos of my family and pets. Not only good from TEOTWAWKI but grab in a fire, if your wallet gets stolen, and other emergency situations.

KendiRaeBee
KendiRae

Postby Sheepdog1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 am

No need to worry about your binder being stolen in a burglary. Burglars are generally either junkies who want something quick to sell in order to buy drugs, or they are teens. Junkies will steal anything they think is of value (typically electronics, cash and jewelry). Kids/teens will steal video games and other "fun" electronics, dvd/video game software, cash, and nice new sneakers. Nobody is going to care about your binder. It's pretty safe.
Sheepdog1
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:56 am

DarkKnight68 wrote:Being somewhat new to this, what is a survival binder? I am guessing you keep records of your preps like food and water. What else would be included?

The binder contains everything that you have on hard drive and then a bit more.
It also includes everything that you know, or will need to know, WSHTF. I have no single binder, rather an extensive library of reference and instructional material. The first on the shelf is anatomy and the last is zoology. The collection also includes metal working, chemistry, construction data. farming and such.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 am

your binder would probably not be intentionally stolen .... but the smart crooks are stealing data as well as your tangible property .... they'll take your computer tower or laptop and scoop up your paperwork .... if you have mention of the typical prepper items like guns, ammo and possible precious metals ..... expect a return vist .... if the crooks are serious and dangerous enough they might make it an armed invasion
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby amc212177 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:35 am

How do you make a survival binder? What topics/sections do I need?
amc212177

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 am

What info do you have in yours that you need to hide? Mine is mostly technical and maintenance data on all my survival gear and vehicles, I do have some regional maps with key survey strategic data. I have prescription and dosage data for all my meds, and recipes for camp meals.

I also keep it in on of my emergency gear totes.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Conscious » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 am

@KendiRae : I don't hide mine. I keep it loosely strapped to my BoB's. In a drill, it is the first thing I grab and go to. Mine has a load-up time chart, my "must-grab" lists, maps and a few other odds and ends. I have never seen teh need to 'hide' it.
@ AMC212177 : Basically it's a binder with your critical info in there. I use mine as a drill task check-list (order of operations kind of stuff). it also has all the pertinent driving maps to my various emergency locations. I don't put much in the way of my inventory in there, nor do I use it for a lot of admin logistics on a week to week basis; it is just "in case of emergency" kind of stuff. You can google up more than a few discusssions, or ask over in /general prep to get a good idea of who does what in their binder?

my rough binder, from memory:

Attached by string - 1 pen for marking off what's been done. included so I sdon't have to run around to find one.
pg 1-2 - D+ Timeline - (What to do from the moment I'm alerted till after I'm on the road. this is a tasking list for who is grabbing what, who has which responsibilities, and how long those responsibilities should take) (Mulitple pages for big print.
Pg 3-4 Prioritized Grab list. - priority 1 is "You've got some time to grab critical stuff". critical stuff included all bug out gear, plus photo albums, artwork, and other high-value targets. Priority 2 is "non-threatening timeline" priorities - i.e. Some other identified valubles, some extra tools that might be of use. This kind of thing.
Pg 5 - zoomed out option of routes to take - for determining best way out of town, given the specific threat.
pg 6-x - zoomed in specific route directions.
pg 10- Emergency Contact List - phone #'s of folks I need to call. (part ofthis is a task on my D+ Timeline, but the info is here for immediate use.

I think that's pretty much it. Again, though, mine is more for the Grab-N-Go Scenario, so I don't use it for general admin, inventory, or information keeping like others do. I have a pair of USB thumb drives in my 72hr kit that hold the proverbial treasure chest of PDF's and guides and instructions, but I don't really rely on those - post SHTF is not the time to be learning how to weave a fishing net or tanning a leather hide. They're there because I don't know everything.

hope it helps!
Everyday, Become More than you were yesterday
Everyday, Believe in your soul's potential.
Everyday, Raise your Conscious.
Conscious

Next

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions