• Advertisement

Trying to Sell Our House and Anxious

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Trying to Sell Our House and Anxious

Postby KendiRae » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 am

We are in the process of selling our suburban home. We don't have a new home in mind to move to. Looking though but can't do much until this is sold. I have been prepping for about six months. My husband isn't into it yet but he's warming to the idea. Even though we may not get to plant a garden this year we are ordering seeds. At least I'll have those for the future.

I'm having to put my prepping on hold because of space and not wanting to move a bunch of extra stuff. I'm feeling really anxious about not being prepared for if something would happen. We're trying to find a house that have at least an acre or two. It's really hard with our budget. Please help me to relax about all this. I think about it all the time and have even taken to having some panic attacks out of the blue.

KendiRae :help:
KendiRae

Re: Trying to Sell Our House and Anxious

Postby Gunns » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 am

I am with you. I have my Realtor friend stopping by my place on Thursday. My wife isn't happy, she really loves her home. I like it, but I am not above selling it to get out of the burbs.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby LackyPrepper1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:51 am

Attention Swamp: A new poster needs your help to feel comfortable and reassured. :rofl:

OP, I can't promise you that things will be perfectly okay over the next few months. Nobody can predict the future. Sometimes preps have to be put on hold due to financial, health, or personal reasons. It just happens. A short term 72 hour bag is relatively inexpensive and should get you through any immediate, temporary hardships, but there's no quick fix for a lack of long-term preparedness.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think Obama will let the country fall completely apart until after his term is over. He's got a big ego and a legacy to focus on.
LackyPrepper1

Postby Mr Grey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:02 am

I am in a similar situation, the good folks here turned me on to freeze dried foods for prepping. Not nearly the most cost effective way to prep food but it has a tremendous shelf life and doesnt take up much room or weigh a lot so it will be easier to move. I figure when I get out of the military and back to my home state it will make a good supplement to the other things I want to do. Just a thought. Good luck :)
Mr Grey

Postby Pedro wyoming » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

KendiRae,
It does get better. Networking is the key to success. I have been at this for nearly 20 years. In order to be successful, i changed everything in my life including career, family, friends and home. After shedding the dead weight and allying with successful like minded folks, things got much easier.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby PeachOnEarth » Thu May 09, 2013 1:01 am

One thing you can do now is this..... Have a yard sale .. just as if you had already sold your home... cut DOWN on the clutter and sell what you dont really need now... then you will have one thing out of the way for when you DO sell your home... ... take a good look around your home and anything that is not an heirloom... or really needed and act as if you were already moving.. get rid of it... at least that will be out of the way.. and you will have MORE room for preps.. like maybe oil-lamps... pretty candles... a new type of canister set ( mason jars.. LOL )..change your decorating style to COUNTRY.. use your yard sale money to prep that new decorating style...

That would be a goal for you and help you feel less anxious about your need to prep :)
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 am

Attention Swamp: A new poster needs your help to feel comfortable and reassured.

A new poster needs information and the truth! Nobody can predict when or if anything will happen. Use this time to learn anything you can and practice your new skills. That knowledge and those skills will serve you better than any location or storage you may have. Your best treatment for being anxious is keeping busy, learning and then practicing what you learn.

The more knowledge and skills you acquire, the less anxious you will be. It really is that simple. Just a few things that you can do now for little or no money while your waiting.

First aid using rags for bandaging and splints.
Planting knowledge. Have you researched every plant you will grow? The information is free on the net.
Edible plant identification. Learn one new plant each day and in a month - people will think you are an expert.
Knowing how to tie knots is very useful and the information is free.
Knowing household chemicals. Simple vinegar has dozens of uses, do you know them.

Keep busy and the anxiety will disappear and you will be a better person. An real education ( is not a piece of paper, but skills and knowledge ) is the one thing that most people do everything they can it avoid. Do not be one of those people. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby prepperman » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Dont Worry - as long as you are not gathering moss you are moving forward on prepping. We sold our house in town 7 months ago and bought a place in the country. You are making the right decision as did we but during that time many things were put on hold. I suggest praying alot. If you don't know God or his son, get to know Him and His will - it has made all the difference for me.
prepperman

Postby Twixt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 am

Here's hoping you have gotten your house sold Kendi.
That said, knowledge skills are always a good thing to practice even when shopping isn't an option (and library books don't need to be moved.)

If you are concerned about acquiring a property with a large enough yard, you might want to check this book out:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Lot-One- ... rmaculture
Or the tons of other stories of people transforming their yard into an edible oasis that can be found on kindle for free or cheap (not sure about the other e-readers.)

Personally, I have a small city lot that I alone tend when time and kids permit. I have nowhere near the vigor of the two in the above book, so my remodel is a slow one. You wouldn't know it to look, but I can feed my family about one small meal each day from my tiny side yards. I am also still expanding my plant diversity to include more as my time and knowledge allows, like getting in a protein source or three. I also know where many local food sources are should it come to the need for foraging, though these will likely be picked over quickly. Also, since my garden is quite unconventional, most people will leave me alone if SHTF as I have no peas, carrots or other highly recognizable foods in my yard, just "plants and weeds".

Guess what I'm saying is, don't stress too much about being stuck in a city, there are plenty of foods to go around if you know what you are looking for and work on getting the knowledge.
Twixt

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions