• Advertisement

Advice for the broke mom that doesn't know where to start

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Re: Advice for the broke mom that doesn't know where to star

Postby Genevieve » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:17 pm

We all started at step one. When I started back in the 80's I had 2 kids in diapers, an electric house and no power. I made it a promise not to be in that situation ever again. I set aside $10 of every grocery money to by "extras" ( bottled juice,canned food on sale,etc). When we got a tax return money I bought a "nused"( used 4 burner refurbished from a local used appliance place) propane stove for the kitchen and 2 propane tanks which we got filled at a local rv campground.
From there I just moved on keeping to the $10 amount and adding and rotating my pantry. Coupons started back then I jumped into that with both feet and got great deals and extras for almost if not free. Then, I started to walk for exercise and found wild blackberry and raspberry bushes along the road and I made it a point to collect all I could and freeze them. I saw a huge walnut tree in one neighbor's yard and when they fell I asked at the door if I could collect them ( which the fella was tickled he didn't have to mow over them), I brought buckets full home threw them in the driveway and had the hubby drive over them until they had almost all the hulls removed, then I dried them on old newspaper in a shed we had. Once they were dry I brought them in and while I watched tv at night I cracked them so I could bake with them and use them in my oatmeal.
Yardsales took off at that time and I had stuff laying around that the kids grew out of and never used so I sold it and that money went to more "supplies" ( preps). I made enough from those sales to have extra diapers ( son was total care handicapped), batteries, flashlights in every room,a stockpile of matches and lighters and extra blankets ( which I found at other yardsales or flea markets).
Hubby did some side work for a woodstove and with the next tax return we bought the flooring and wall backing to make it heat proof and the pipes. We now had heat when the electric went out.

It just takes the first few steps to get started. WATER is the most important. You won't live without it. I think a gallon of water is around .89? I'm not sure anymore. I haven't looked in a long time. I would buy 2 at the next time it was a grocery run and then keep it in the pantry.
When I emptied a milk jug I'd clean it and then fill it with water to use for the toilet. I read somewhere that it's not healthy to use them for storing drinking water. Something about bacteria?

If you stop smoking you'd have thousands of dollars to use ( I stopped 15 years ago after 7 tries). A smaller cable or satellite package would give you extra money. Recycling cans and scrap metal. Selling things you don't need anymore. "Gleening" from your area of wild foods.

Your free library can get you started. Look in the camping and outdoor recreation section and the gardening section. It's not hard to "prep" if you've a mind to do so.
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby msdeltamom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Lynn_Liddle wrote: His toy was designed to turn off every few seconds. Each time he pressed the button again for me I would hear "Bust my buffers! It's Dark in here!".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (Sorry, I'm easily amused and this cracked me up!)

Everyone has already gave some great suggestions for getting started when money is tight. One other thing not to forget is to prep your mind. I'm making this my goal to work on this new year because (if the worst did happen) I have a very hard time adapting to change. I hate to be the prepper with preps, but unable to adapt.
msdeltamom

Postby Vetmike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Water is always first on the list. So a 100 gallon water tank with a siphon or hand pump has to be high on your list. I buy at my local (150 miles) LDS Bishop store. Bulk staples at a very reasonable price and they are not nosy about why you are buying in bulk. I've gotten "The Look" and some uncomfortable questions when buying bulk at my Sams. There are some GREAT comments here as well as good information all over the site. Do not get overwhelmed. Water, food, shelter, fire (or a way to start one) and protection. Keep focused on those.
Vetmike

Postby mombear » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:30 pm

first, take an inventory of what you have, you have more than you know. Then make a list of what you need, then a list of what you want. Keep in mind priorities, water, shelter, heat and then food, I would add my sanity pretty high up there. Work on your list and pat yourself, you are now three steps ahead of everyone else. Go slow prepping is baby steps, nobody can do it overnight and we are all doing it on a budget, yours is a little tighter than some. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we got answers and you get to sift through them for what will work for you.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby MrWizard530 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:53 am

I found a link to a preparedness shopping list. http://greatnorthernprepper.com/wp-cont ... ule-01.pdf
I have been using this list as a guide to build up my food storage. I had to substitute a few things due to my families taste. They wont eat the tuna casseroles, the chicken casseroles they loved. The list is setup by weeks but you can take your time and just buy a few extra items at the store. Hope this helps someone, its been working for me.
"The purpose of life is a life with a purpose. So I'd rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless" - Immortal Technique

"Eventus Stultorum Magister"(Experience is a fools teacher)
MrWizard530

Postby pheniox17 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:56 am

well this is a good way to revive a year old post..

cheap prepping, think cheap, low cost (you will get what you pay for)

all suggestions posted are good

add keep a eye on clearance racks, and goto the local food bank (don't know if they have already been said so sorry if I double up)

and keep on prepping, you don't need millions to be a prepper, but it doesn't hurt lol
it's from the internet, it must be true -Abraham Lincoln
pheniox17

Postby mombear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:15 am

thanks Mr. Wizard, I printed it out to pass out to people.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear

Postby newtexan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Great site MrWizard. Thanks for sharing it.
newtexan

Postby sageprice » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:16 pm

1. learn to cook from scratch and practice.
2. If it comes out of a box it isn't cheap
3. Go for basics. (Dried beans, Grains, salt, cream of tartar, Baking soda, yeast, sugar, etc.)
4. Learn to be crafty. {rags to rugs, Plastic bags to Plarn)
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby ready0 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:48 pm

This is a great thread! It's given me lots to think about. My dad used to say "How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time." :D
ready0

Previous

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions