• Advertisement

long term storage in hot, humid climate???

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

long term storage in hot, humid climate???

Postby lanixfamily » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:56 pm

This is my first post. I am trying to determine a sensible long term food storage plan.I have a plan for food and already started. I am limited on space and utilize under beds, behind couches for my food buckets, and closets for toiletries. However, I buy grains, beans and baking supplies in bulk. I would like to store them in metal foods grade barrels in my garage. I have a vacuum sealer but that will get really expensive to use as many bags as I would need to store 25# and 50# bags. In also just started canning last year. No cellar or option for one. I basically have my garage. It is dark but Oklahoma gets hot and humid!! Any suggestions?
1.Has anyone done this?
2. What have you done for LTS in hot, humid areas?

Thank you!
lanixfamily

Re: long term storage in hot, humid climate???

Postby namwal » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:47 pm

One idea: create a an insulated closet/pantry in your garage. On the north side if possible. Use an existing window or cut a hole for a small energy efficient window unit air conditioning unit. Keep it dark, dry and cool and it works great in humid even hotter Texas.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Shail_4 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:37 am

Considering my experience, i liked the services of Irongate self storage. I booked space for RV storage in Vancouver, WA. The cost was low and better than many other storage units and also services were satisfactory.
Shail_4

Postby Sasha » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:09 am

CT, where I live is pretty humid in the summer. We build a small storage unit in the basement. YOu could do this in your garage depending on priorities. We put in a dehumidifier at first, but this generated heat. We ended up installing an small old AC unit. Works like a charm. We only run it in the summer.
Unless we change the direction we're going, we'll end up where we're headed.
Sasha

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 am

you need to read up on proper long term storage if you think that vac sealer is doing anything for you .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ARDon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am

"for me" I just finished up a huge walk-in pantry in my home. I converted a mud room bath into this pantry 8X8X8 with wire metro shelving 6 shelves per unit "U" shaped 18" shelving each shelf will hold 120 cans 2 can high. I totally redone this and installed a dehumidifier by Frigidaire and ran PVC 1\2" for a drain to eliminate the drain basket. I wanted to utilize my prep's in everyday living. I vacuum seal all my dry good with 02 absorber in them a extra zip loc bag in it, so when I use I just pour what ever dry good in the zip loc bag. Glass jars I like using mylar bags in them when I'm storing dry goods also like powdered milk, powdered potato flake, oak meal, corn meal, & powdered eggs. I vacuum seal them with a 02 absorber in their also. Some will say mylar in a glass jar is a over deal or waste, I believe light does damage on dry goods too., and their is plenty of good articles written on it too. I live in the south were our humidity is high. I do have a air conditioning vent in the pantry which helps, portable A\C's are available, they also act as dehumidifiers too. The main thing I look for in long storage is how can I eliminate light transfer to my goods, along with moisture\air. A dark cool place is ideal for you. Our prep's should look to be an insurance for us as the saying goes "You never can have too much insurance." We all are on the same page, or cause, but most of us do things differently than the rest. My suggestion would be to read up on long term food storage, don't get confused by the different methods or suggestion, and look & take what would work for you. Prepping should be fun and educational at the same time. I look at it this way. I've been doing the prepareness thing for over 20 yrs and I still learn new things.
ARDon

Postby pastornator » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 am

Root cellar...

They work most everywhere, even in warm climates, as the temp of the earth itself is generally in the 50 degree range.

Just have to find a place to dig a big hole.

I like this book, but there are others, including some more oriented to building them:

http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cellaring-Na ... oot+cellar
pastornator

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions