• Advertisement

Candle and Soap Making

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Candle and Soap Making

Postby Photon Guy » Mon May 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I read something about candle and soap making on the Survival Mom website. From my experience with candle making its quite simple. I learned how to make candles in camp when I was around 8 years old. You simply dip the wick in melted wax and let it harden and than do it again and again so that it builds up and that's how you make candles. As for soap making, I never learned how to do that and I think it would be a bit more complicated. I do know that soap can be very valuable in a crisis situation and that commercial soap can even be used as a monetary unit since it comes in bars of standard sizes and its a commodity that just about everybody uses.
Photon Guy

Re: Candle and Soap Making

Postby LeeLynn » Mon May 19, 2014 6:31 pm

I would think soap would be very valuable especially if you knew how to scent it. We do have books on soap making and it doesn't seem as difficult as you would think. I can't imagine bathing with only water. Deodorant, now there is a commodity worth trading.
LeeLynn

Postby Mtn_Hiker » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm

We make our own soap. It isn't that hard once you've done it a couple of times. If you make lye with wood ash like we do, it is pretty cost effective. Lye, rain water, oils (fats), utensils (bowl, stirring, measuring), mold box and your set. Being able to scent your soaps is wonderful, I use what we grow. Tons of websites with how-to.

Best of luck, once you start it's addicting. Like making laundry soap, dish soap, etc.

Mtn
Mtn_Hiker

Postby mintbird » Tue May 20, 2014 12:32 am

I just received the last of my soap making supplies today. Can't wait to get started! I've done tons of research and it looks fairly simple. Got the books, formulas, and calculator too :clap:
P!

No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission
mintbird

Postby ET2[SW]Moose87 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I prefer to make candles in my mason jars, they seal up tight when in storage and they burn for 50+ hours
ET2[SW]Moose87
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby DuckNCover » Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 pm

ET2[SW]Moose87 wrote:I prefer to make candles in my mason jars, they seal up tight when in storage and they burn for 50+ hours

May I ask, what size mason jars are you using? Are they pint or quart jars?

I've heard that Bees Wax is the best for making candles because it lasts the longest.
DuckNCover

Postby donba » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Candle making supplies are readily available in most large cites. my DW went to one in North Hollywood, several times. They sold wick, forms, and wax as well as finished candles. They also had racks of sent in small bottles.....
donba

Postby somuchtodo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:22 pm

I was just gifted a 5 gallon bucket of wax. It of course will have to be cleaned. I'm reading online how to do it but has anyone here cleaned the beeswax before and have any tips for a newbie. I'm going to use it to make candles.
somuchtodo

Postby Northern Freeman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:11 pm

I made some candles once and added Crisco to the wax to make them burn longer, and soaked the wicks in the shortening before hand to also make it longer burning. Still haven't used any of the yet. http://www.ehow.com/how_12007777_add-ve ... onger.html
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions