• Advertisement

unconventional greenhouses in an abndoned house?

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

unconventional greenhouses in an abndoned house?

Postby tamaya » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 pm

I got this idea when I was walking down my street and was looking at the ranch style houses and from from a co-worker as well whoes dad made a greenhouse from old doors. I was thinking in the long term do you think they might work as greenhouses. Remove the shingles, and the plywood roofing and you have a fairly sturdy frame. You could scavage windows and glass doors from abandoned houses and if added to the roof it might work as a greenhouse. Being from up north we are going to have to figure a way to grow all year if the SHTF. Not everyone is going to be able to bug out and we will have to make do with what is around us. Do you think it might work? Or how to make it work? Some roofs might have to be reinforced, might work better on a slightly smaller bungalow?
tamaya

Re: unconventional greenhouses in an abndoned house?

Postby Rod » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I think the trick would be sealing the perimeter of each glass door well enough that the rain doesn't get in. If you don't install a skylight properly you end up with leaks and they are made for installation in a roof. If you build your green house off of your first floor, where you have the best southern exposure, you have to do the footer properly but a little leak or two wont be as much of a problem because it wont leak into your house.
Where will you turn to for help when the Red Cross, Salvation Army and your Insurance is worn out? A.N.T.S.
Rod
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby ohiofarmer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:14 pm

That would be a lot of work. Think about doing it with a back yard shed. Smaller area less visible - easier to heat - you could use 4 of them in several neighborhoods so if one gets raided you don't lose every thing. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby donba » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Glass seams to be one of the first things to go when punks run lose. I keep some heavy clear plastic for covering a frame work for a green house. I also would vote for several small ones at first. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I think scrounging glass for a larger green house later, would be smart.....
donba

Postby Myakka » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Not to suggest spending a bunch of money now, but.............. You can get clear plastic roof panels at stores like home depot. Using these to roof over a shed would give you a decent result fairly easily.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Palruf-26-in ... /100000045

So if you really intend on doing this, maybe stash some of these panels for later use..........
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby LeeLynn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:54 pm

It would work and the water leaking in would only mean you have to make sure your wood does not rot.
LeeLynn

Postby jean11 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:42 pm

My husband built my 16x22' greenhouse years ago using old (sliding) glass doors, old large windows, even some smaller crank out's. The north facing wall is solid, as it does not provide much light anyway. The gables are vented. He framed it all in and added opaque fiberglass panels (Home depot) for the roof. The floor is dirt. The greenhouse works very well. But my question for your idea using an existing building is, how are you going to water the plants when the drainage will fall on wooden(?) floor boards? Or did I get that wrong?
jean11

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions