• Advertisement

Speed Queen wringer washer

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Speed Queen wringer washer

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 pm

I am so excited, I found one. It's like brand new, but! I got it home, wringer works, no problem, the motor runs, I turned it over the belt is running and turning the wheel. I silicone obvious points there. Sat it back up, unplugged. I took the agitator off, no rust on anything, its been kept inside all its life and I'm wondering if its been used much. I lubricated the agitator top and put the agitator back on. However when you flip it to agitate, no go. From what literature I found there is a spring is all that flips it from just running to agitate, that I could not see. I'm guessing that spring is missing or weak. I called one place and they practically laughed at me about it. They say the construction and principles are simple for these. I'm guessing my husband can fix it but he isn't home for several more weeks and I'm dying to get it running. At least it only cost me $150, so I'm not out a ton, still its real money and I don't want to waste it. anyone know how to fix these? I think Lehman's might have parts if I know what it is. Nothing is frozen up, the motor sounds good and like I said, no rust, clean, no cobwebs even. It's model no DW 6010, serial number 6C41606, just for your information.
PatrioticStabilist

Re: Speed Queen wringer washer

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm

I found a manual with dw 6132, so pretty similar, also a service manual. I'm hoping nothing is broken since the machine is in such pristine condition. As it says, its a pretty simple model, so here's hoping.

I downloaded it for $2.49, so cheap enough for that.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Gordon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:38 pm

We ordered one from Lehman's but were horribly disappointed in the quality and sent it back.
Gordon

Postby ohiofarmer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:18 pm

That's some good luck to find it. You must be living right. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Trucker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Back in the day, the Maytag Wringer Washer was king of the hill.
I sold several of them to the swap meet guys when I first moved into the house here.
The average price sold for one in mint condition that needed nothing was $150.00 - so you were not taken advantage of by no means.
I know the issues associated with the Maytag, but don't remember much about the Speed Queen.
I would look for a real appliance store, one ran by one person - not a corporation.
Most older repair service men can tell you how to repair them, but then you would be taking money out of their pockets. The newer technicians has never seen anything so primitive - so they are not going to be of much help.
I am going to suppress my primal urge to tell you to find a man to fix it for you.
I do not know what level of mechanical ability you possess.
If you were mechanically inclined - which you at least knew enough to inspect it - although I don't know how much experience you actually have repairing small appliances - you would realize that you probably broke it when you were taking it apart.
On many of those models, everything has to be reassembled exactly the same way it came apart, and you have to be very careful not to engage or disengage anything while it is apart, else it will get out of sync with the other parts and will not function.
If you are going to tell me that you are mechanically inclined, then I would tell you to take the rollers off the top and disassemble the gears that goes through the spindle from the motor to the top head assembly. If there is no damage to the spindle, the roll pins, the gears, and if everything is aligned properly, then it should work.
With the Maytags - there was a transmission shifter or a lever on the top and another lever on the front and on some models you had to swing out the head to engage the gear drive.
Don't ask me how I know all this stuff, all I can tell you is that I was one of the kids that wondered what would happen if they stuck their fingers in the rollers.
A lot of yelling for help, screaming, crying and mom taking apart the washing machine to get my hand out and the beating dad gave me when he got home.. What the heck, I was only 4 years old!
Mom used her Maytag to wash everything, including diapers twice a week - we had 6 kids in the family. Mom didn't get an automatic washer until about 1974 - when my Uncle was throwing out their old GE automatic washer. It was probably 15 years old at that time, and dad had to fix it several times to keep it running. And, in the winter when the automatic would freeze in the cellar, mom would roll out the Maytag from the bathroom and it always worked.
Heck it is still in dads cellar today.
4 automatic washing machines later, and the Maytag has outlived all of them!
Trucker

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm

This local place buys up estates. I dropped by yesterday and asked if they ever get wringer washers, he said well we have one coming in tomorrow! Can you believe that??

All I took off was the agitator to see if things turned. I plugged it up and the motor hums right along. I did not take anything else apart. The rollers in the wringer work fine
not stuck together or anything. It has the original lid with a red stripe around it. I found brochures online that shows one like it, its the bottom of the line, no timers or anything
not even and off and on switch. I got a parts manual online, does not list specifically that model but the pictures look just like it and it shows all the parts. I'm guessing its the lever that
attaches to that off on deal on one leg that turns the agitator on. I hope its something that can be fixed easily, if we need parts I don't know. But we have 2 very very old timey hardware
stores that might be able to help hubby when he is home.

Just an aside. I started looking for rental property here and bid on a house yesterday and today, well I won the bid and bought the thing. It needs work, a new roof, I guessing there are hardwood floors
under the carpet. It was an online bid, bank foreclosure. I've already signed some docs tonight. It has upgraded electrical, an almost full basement, central heat and air. A knotty pine kitchen,
yeah I know old fashioned but still pretty. When I clean and possibly restain those they will be pretty. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, nice size living room. Might need new fixtures in the bathroom, has the turquoise colored fixtures but they are all in good condition, formica walls, so only needs flooring. A nice sized closet with access from both bedrooms. It has a HUGE garage, bet the thing will hold 4 cars or more and its concrete block, needs new garage door. On very small lot.

Then I was at the auction place where I got the washer and on the same load he had fridges and stoves, he buys them reconditioned and sells them. I got a electric stove that looks like brand new and a fridge that is spotless. I got them for $199 each, we used to buy new for rentals but no more!! Got those for the house. And I was started to unload this stuff and my neighbor saw me, backed down the road and unloaded them for me.

And yes, you are correct, I must be living right today, that much good stuff doesn't happen to someone in 2 days time for no reason. But then I won't get into all the challenges I've faced over the last few weeks with my DD. It has been really bad, maybe this is good stuff for all the bad I've been through of late.

Whatever it is, I believe in karma. I had just donated a bunch of school supplies to our town for the kids and may get more. I get any charity back 10 times over and always have.

Everyone have a great day, I sure did!

Now if we can fix my washer, I'm in hog heaven.

I paid, or will pay, get this $23,289!!!! Can you believe that? The online realtor was laughing when I asked the details, oh it has a purple bedroom, pea green bathroom, a mustard yellow wall.
I was prepared for the worst when I looked at it. I don't know where the guy got that, he had never seen it. It was turquoise bath fixtures, pale yellow bedroom, pale blue bedroom. Amazing how
they can get stuff screwed up.

Oh and I got a complete 9 inch deep stainless steel sink in a box, never opened, with faucets and drains for $25 there too. Unbelieveable
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 pm

One lady there said I've heard of those but never seen one. The guy I bought it from wanted to know why I wanted it. I told him to wash throw rugs, blankets, and work clothes.
He doesn't need to know, I wanted one so I can run it off my genny if need be. I figured I would be looking for one of those forever, still can't believe that luck.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby popcandave » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:07 pm

I've been wanting a old Maytag or Speed Queen myself for quite awhile. I found one at a antique store but they want more for it than I think it's worth. Sigh!! Guess I'll have to keep looking. You can't beat those old washers. That's when they made things to last. Seems like everything is made in China anymore. No pride in workmanship anymore.
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Let's see if hubby can get it working, I bet he can.

I can't get over what good condition it is in, it just has to work.
PatrioticStabilist

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions