• Advertisement

prepping for bugging

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

prepping for bugging

Postby who_is_john_galt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:27 pm

This isn't a question so much about what things to prep and store but rather about what to do while bugging in. So here's the question, SHTF and now I (and possibly another person) are stuck bugging in for... i don't know... at least a week+ what do you reccomend doing aside from inventory on supplies and staring into each others eyes until the situation improves? I can't find much material on how to make good use of what will seem like lots of time during a bug in scenario. Some things seem obvious like a deck of cards, but what else could i plan for as far as passing time?

Thanks in advance!
who_is_john_galt

Re: prepping for bugging

Postby jean11 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Well, to start off I know I'll have my head in the freezer pulling out meats and other foods to pressure can as soon as possible. Hubby will be securing the house and acre and keeping an eye out for strangers. I keep a nice supply of used paperbacks tucked away just in case of SHTF. I'll be taking my waterBOB out of the box and laying it in the bathtub to fill with 100 gallons of clean water - although I've already stored 700 gallons in 55 gallon barrels in back.

We have a few table games stored away, and several decks of cards, but I am going to start looking for used computer games that might be fun to play - something to do. The rv is rigged for solar and we'd have to do the computer game thing out there. Also plan to use the crock pot in the rv for easy meals.

I'm curious to see what other preppers come up with. I'd better start taking notes.
jean11

Postby who_is_john_galt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Thank you for sharing Jean! My board/table game selection is very scarce, something I could start keeping an eye out for!
who_is_john_galt

Postby MoeRN » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 pm

I will be bugging in with hubby and kiddos. We have lots of paperback books, will continue our school (we homeschool), and have a lot of board games. Not to mention card games, UNO, matching games, and other activities. I also keep yarn and my crochet hooks and books handy. As well as my sewing machine. And as Jean11 mentioned, I will be digging into the freezer and canning my butt off and putting the water bob in both tubs.
Mom of 3 beautiful boys
Married to high school sweetheart for 10 years
RN (7 years experience) currently working in heart and vascular intensive care unit
P+

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
MoeRN
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions