• Advertisement

Water Prep on Lake

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Water Prep on Lake

Postby momops » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:40 pm

I have been wondering how to quantify water storage when living on a large spring fed lake? I'm not sure if I should be storing like a 30day supply with a system to filter the lake or rely on the lake or don't rely on lake... help!
momops

Re: Water Prep on Lake

Postby daaswampman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Tough question. Could the lake get contaminated? Is there industry, large scale food production, communities, or transport anywhere in the connected watershed? I live on a large lake with no major anything, but I store two months of water, have wells, and maintain a way to purify water from the lake. It may be overkill, but water is essential. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 pm

I found an expanded water testing system on the net for our pond. It checks for various contaminants as nitrogen and such. You might go online and find one to buy that fits your needs. We'll still boil for potential bacteria problems but after we tested for 20 some things I'm not worried its safe to drink.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:06 am

largest problem will be with the sheeple your lake will attract during a serious SHTF .... they'll not only be a danger when exposing yourself on a regular basis for water collection .... that lake will most likely be quikly contaminated by the sheeple .... depending on the extent of contamination it'll take time to clear .... you need 30 days of potable water for insurance - that's the dying off period and the most dangerous post SHTF
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Pedro wyoming » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:34 pm

If the golden hoarde visits, you may have a few of them face down before it calms down. A dead body is the WORST contaminant possible.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions