• Advertisement

Vehicle BOB?

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Vehicle BOB?

Postby sohony » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:06 am

How safe is to keep canned food in a Bug Out Bag in a vehicle? With extreme heat in the summer could that not make the food spoil. The wife and I had canned spam and fruit in our bag and one hot day I had to move the bag from the car and felt the heat coming off it and made me wonder. Does the heating and cooling harm the food inside. May sound like a rookie question but that we are, any help would be great.
sohony

Re: Vehicle BOB?

Postby Norman11 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:14 am

I don't think that I would keep canned food in a car very long because of the heat, yet it is all ready cooked and preserved.
Most experts suggest dehydrated foods or power bars for vehicle BOBs I would think MRE's would be all right also. The military uses them all over the world.

Norman11
Norman11

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:09 am

(Note: I'm cross posting my reply on this over in the duplicate thread started in the general APN forum, as well -k)

I have been dealing with this very issue, the past several weeks. I've been rotating OUT the foods in our vehicle 72 hour bags. I've tried several things, over the years, and every fall, I dump so much down our kitchen compacter! That included:

• small canned items (chicken, fish, etc.) and the mylar individual sized packs.-the consistancy looked awful. Have NO idea how it tasted, because I wouldn't touch it, with the way it looked.
  • Lunch-box cookie & cracker options (the kind you pack for your kids).-They went rancid. You could smell it, as soon as you opened the packs.
    • I did find that VANILLA Wafers were still good, though. Have NO idea why. But they were!
    • I also vac sealed Ritz crackers. They seemed to survive heat & summer, as well. No smell. Tasted oke. I would assume saltine crackers would be the same, if vac sealed.
  • Peanuts-They go rancid in 'normal' long-term storage
  • Vac sealed pre-cooked, ready to eat rice-Went bad. Changed color. Looked spoiled.

This year, I'm packing: (this is what I've come up with, so far)
  • Mountain House Freeze dried meals (found them for $4.82/each at Walmart camping dept. Good till 2027!!)
  • Cup of Soup packs (chicken & vegetable)
  • Ramen Noodle Soups
  • Instant Potatoes (I premeasured 1 serving out, put in snack sized bag w/ a label for 'cooking' ... basically heating water & let stand till 'cooked')Can be used w/ mountain house meals, or at lunch with cup of soup.
  • Instant Rice (Also premeasured as above) Also add to meals, as above
  • Boullion cubes - chicken & beef. Can be used to drink or to add to rice.
  • Freeze dried fruit-lunch box size mylar packs. Found in lunch-snack bag area of store.
  • Hard Candy & mints
  • Instant coffee/tea bags w/creamer packs (some creamers I saved from coffee centers visited 8) and I bought a jar of powdered creamer to make my own
  • Juice & tea packs to add to water, for something different, if wanted. It's a luxury item that doesn't take up weight or room so why not?
  • Sugar packs, honey packs, S&P packs & other small condiments-small light to include

I saw, elsewhere, that someone found 100% fruit roll ups. I'd like to try and find that, as an option, as well. They should fare well.
I think a non-chocolate granola bar/power bar *might* do oke. Wondering about Rice Krispie treats, too (but they are NOT filling, so probably not a good choice.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 am

I keep Mountain House freeze dried pouches and a bottle of glucose tablets in our vehicular GHBs (plus all the usual other gear like N95 masks, mylar blankets, super lightweight cook stove, etc.) I hope the MH pouches will survive two years in the car then I'll swap them out with fresh. The glucose tablets are practically indestructible and should be enough to get us home from our usual driving range even if we can't stomach the MH pouch food.
dmwalsh568

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 am

My Vehicle bag is just to get me back home, so i only keep power bars and stuff like that. I think also have 2 dehydrated Mountain house meals. I packed it like i was going on a weekend hiking trip. Almost every normal off the shelf food is suitable to heat and freezing.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am

Had the same problem, switched to MRE's. Two years in the vehicle and still good. I eat one in the winter and replace what I taste tested.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:49 am

I only keep dry food/energy bars/trail mix in the vehicle, with water separate. I would avoid food items with moisture only because of hot summers and cold winters here. Rotation of short term storage is probably ok though, but freezing and popping would be an issue in the coldest months. In general, I personally would not store food cans in a vehicle unless I lived somewhere that stayed in the 40s to 70s all year around.

If I'm away from home, at my most likely alternate location (the office) I keep some extra stored food with canned goods included.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby DavethePrepper » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 am

It would seem that keeping any food item in a vehicle for any extended period of time would not be wise thing to do. Humidity is the kiss of death to food in a vehicle. I found that out the hard way. What if you kept a bag of food items in your house already assembled in a plastic Walmart bag and placed where you can grab and go if need be or if you anticipate a possible emergency?

I always take a small food cache when I am commuting long distances on the Interstate and I know that help could be a long way away if something happens.
DavethePrepper

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:02 am

You're right Dave, I keep super cheap disposable food in mine for that very reason. There is a couple of cliff bars, and two packets of either instant cream of wheat or grits. Nothing in the world can hurt them and they are cheap enough to trow away at change over time. Being in Michigan, my water freezing is my biggest problem.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions