• Advertisement

Prepping for college students

Got a Question? Ask The Survival Mom!

Prepping for college students

Postby Melissa » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:15 pm

My daughter is half way across the country in college. She has not had much interest in prepping and so does not have a bug out bag at school. If there were a SHTF scenario what are some items that you could glean from a college dormitory before bugging out?
Melissa

Re: Prepping for college students

Postby Pedro wyoming » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Prepping is as much a mind set as it is a collection of stuff. I guess keeping an armoured Chevy suburban in a nearby storage locker is out of the question. If your daughter has a clever way of thinking, she will make do with what she has. You may want to visit her and make a list of what she has and post it here. List everything whether it seems useful or not. We had a thread for repurposing everyday stuff and there were several clever uses for them.

Some things are geographically important. Is you daughter travelling over the Rockies in the winter or AZ to AL in the summer? Layers of clothes would be a good idea.
Tampons and maxi pads are good blood stoppers. Duct tape works well as a sub for bandages.

Hair spray (not gel or mooose or cream) applied to the feet in several layers will reduce likelihood and severity of blisters. Spare stockings worn under socks will also help reduce blisters. Good walking/running shoes.

Canned food and ramen noodles along with a can opener.

Spare water bottles filled before leaving campus. Probability of a water filter in a dorm is slim to none. This may be quite heavy. A book bag is not near as sturdy or capacious as a rucksack so these become limiting factors.
All energy accouterments for keeping a smart phone running. Internet or not some apps may still work.

It has been 25 years since i was in college. I am not quite sure what youngsters have in a dorm these days.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Re: Prepping for college students

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:19 am

I'm a big fan of the Berkey Sport bottles for bug out bags and even have one at my office. No reason it wouldn't work for a college kid, since with all the water bottles kids carry these days it won't stand out, but lets you clean up all sorts of nasty water. Add a multi-tool and a a couple of freeze dried packets of food will go a long way to allowing a college kid to make a BOB or GHB from things in their dorm room.
dmwalsh568

Return to The Survival Mom Forum Discussions