• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

what 1 Gun would you choose fo home defense?

Topics about guns

what 1 Gun would you choose fo home defense?

Postby jtcomega » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Im a pistol shooter, and that is what I feel comfortable wtih. I can deliver fast and accurate volume of fire. I can see using a shotgun but its not for me. A rifle doesnt work in my house. I live in a wood frame house and so do my neighbors. They are way to close for me to risk a shot from a rifle.
So what are your thoughts??
jtcomega

Re: what 1 Gun would you choose fo home defense?

Postby blue fox » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Probably whatever handgun you feel comfortable with. I would suggest hollowpoints for use in that pistol for in house work. I keep a P-14 45 in my nightstand with Hydra-shoks in it. I also have both a 12 ga and 20 ga handy with double o buck for the 12 and 7 1/2 shot for the 20. I figure it is easier to patch walls if I use the shotguns.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby Yote » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:16 pm

If your comfortable with a pistol why not use that. Drop a tlr-2 or a x400 and you should be good to go. Pretty much any firearm you use has a high probability of leaving your property. So make your shots count.
Yote

Postby Drakenstead1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I've actually been the vicitm of an armed home invasion & had to make the choice of firearm in real time. I picked up the most accessible gun in the house which happend to be a Model 12 Winchester. It's a classic American Upland Game gun that belonged to my Grandfather. He would have had a fit if he knew I kept it standing upright in the closet with 00 Buck Shot in the Bed Table drawer. I was much younger then and slept in the nude. I met the guy in the kitchen buck naked with the Winchester leveled and a massive presence between my legs (what can I say I was excited). Upon racking a shell the idiot proved he was not a total fool & left right quick.
To this day I'm not sure it was the scatter gun that scared him off.

If it ever happens again I'll do the same. Either my bedroom gun, (Taurus Judged 000 Buck Shot) my kitchen gun (1911 with Zombie Max Loads LOL), my garage gun (12 ga Coach Double Barrel) or my front closet gun (Mini14) of course there's my living room gun (44/40 Ruger Vaquero) and my bathroom gun (Bersa 380 ACP) & my patio varmint killer (Ruger 10/22).

Point is that the gun you choose is based on what's there not what you figure is the ideal.
The only control you have over "which" gun to use is where and what you pre-position.
This has to be based on what you like, what you can afford, and whether you have undisciplined children about who might pick the piece up.
Drakenstead1

Postby lockednloaded » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Personally I like my 12 gauge defender.
lockednloaded
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby WePrep » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:21 pm

I keep a Glock 23 tucked under the matress (loaded, but not chambered- no childern in the house) and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge w/ 18 1/2" barrel on the headboard (loaded , but not chambered as well). If I hear something in the house, (only happened once and it was just the cat getting into something) I grab the Glock as it is easier to move around right and left corners. If the dog is barking outside I take the 500. I think the 00 buck might give me a bit of room for error shooting in the dark. Never had an intruder at night, usually just a deer, coyote or bear. If I think its a bear or coyote, I let a shot go into the side of the hill just to make a big noise and hope they don't make a habit of hangin' around. If I had to choose only one though, it would be the 500.
WePrep

Postby WyoDutch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Without a doubt... a bare bones 12-gauge pump loaded with 00 buck. I like this old High Standard K120 that I picked up at a gun show for $75 about 20 years ago.Image
You know times are bad in America when GW Bush's presidency starts looking good..
WyoDutch
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Shotgun for me.

Since you're a pistol shooter I guess you should get what you feel comfortable with.
ShotgunBlast

Postby smm345 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Given the specified conditions of "1 Gun" and "For Home Defense", my very clear choice is the 12 guage Shotgun. These Home Defense weapon systems should be in the shortest configuration legally allowed and have an attached light source (Shooter preference regarding Auto/Pump). And It certainly does Not have to be a Benelli or Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech. (Pictured Below), just reliably functioning and well known by the potential Operators.

Also, regarding the issue of "Over-Penetration", in addition to the flexibility of various choices of Shot size, ammunition manufacturers offer specialty rounds for Home Defense. See the link to Winchester Ammunition below:

http://www.winchester.com/products/shot ... fault.aspx
Attachments
wilson-combat-scattergun-professional-1.jpg
smm345

Postby prepper11 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Shot gun for me. Just like Shotgunblast I like the Moss 500.

Loaded with Federal low recoil 00 buckshot, it will deliver the equivalent of nine, 9 mm rounds with one pull of the trigger and in my circumstance, presents little chance of over penetration if fired inside the house. With 5 rounds in the tube and 1 in the chamber it will deliver the equivalent of 54, 9 mm rounds in under 30 seconds if need be. Hard to beat.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
prepper11
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby mcamp2011 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 am

I choose the Tokarev T33, 7.62x25, my son chooses a mossberg 590 12 gauge... to each his or hers own, it is what you are comfortable enough with to trust your life to.
mcamp2011

Postby IR8CAJUN » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:01 pm

I would reccomend a 12 guage pump with a full choke with a fiber optic sight or night sight. Load it with #6's. They are nasty at 30 feet, I would stay away from buck shot, as they travel through walls easily and may injur family members.
IR8CAJUN

Postby namwal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:56 am

I would instinctively say a shotgun, but it's my pistol that's on my nightstand. If I can make it to the closet then 12 ga it is!
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby frog_nc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Ernest Hemingway was once answered a question about his writing style with the answer "write what you know." A home defense weapon ought to be the one that you are most familiar with. When the panic button is pressed and your heart rate triples and you awake from a very deep sleep will you know how to operate the weapon? Will you be able to find the weapon?

A word or two on shotguns....too many folks think that a 12ga is the only answer for home defense because you can't "miss" with one. I don't know how big their houses are but in my house the hallway, the longest distance unobstructed in my house is about 27 feet. I have a Mossberg 500 and 590a1 and shoot reduced recoil 00 buckshot and know at the distance of 30' the shot size pattern isn't that large and I could easily miss a torso. Now factor in that when I practice I am wide awake, in good lighting, and aware that I am going to shoot immediately. I feel that people lull themselves into a false sense of security with using a shotgun for home defense. They really don't think that they have to aim and they will ultimately miss.

Another issue about shotguns for home defense is many folks think that they have to either use the most powerful rounds available or use "bird shot". Both are poor choices for home defense. Powerful buckshot and slug will easily overpenetrate drywall and endanger a loved one or friendly person. Bird shot really isn't that lethal unless you are very close. I would pick a reduced recoil 00 buck or #4 buckshot in a low brass load. It will drop someone quickly, won't over penetrate, and keep your sight picture ready for a second round if needed.

What do I use? My bedroom is on the second story of my house. My daughters room is adjacent to mine but down the hall near the stairs. No one, not even a ninja with pillows duct taped to his shoes could make it up the 90 year old stairs without waking me up so I will probably be aware of them downstairs. I feel that I would need a flashlight to illuminate the bad guy when I found him so I choose to use a 9mm semi loaded with 147gr sub-sonic JHP. I can manuever around my house, carry my flashlight and/or use my phone while remaining ready to throw lead down range. I do not fear over penetration due to the round I use. It works best for me.

One last thing....I always smirk when folks tell me they have a gun in every room for defense....all I can see with that is lawsuit and loosing the fight. If you are in one end of the house and a bad guy breaks in the other he may not be armed till he finds one of your weapons. Now the playing field is level. Most intruders are not armed; atleast from what I read in the papers and hear on the news. I sure as heck don't want to give them a gun. Second aspect is the liability of leaving weapons around your home. Yes you might not have kids in the house but what about the Cable TV guy, or an unexpected guest comes over....they see a gun and pull the trigger. You can't undo that nightmare and you as the homeowner are responsible.

My two cents.
Frog_NC
Somewhere in western NC

If your post count to days of being a member on here exceed a ratio of two to one, you are full of hot air.

"Prepping isn't about preparing for the worst case scenario; it better be about preparing for the most likely scenario that is bad."
frog_nc
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby namwal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:55 am

frog_nc wrote:

Most intruders are not armed; atleast from what I read in the papers and hear on the news.

You can't undo that nightmare and you as the homeowner are responsible.

Statement #1 not sure that I agree with. Everyone including sometimes even law enforcement either confuses or lumps together burglars and robbers under the ill defined term " home invasion". Obviously any unwanted breech is an intrusion into your home. However, there is a big difference between unarmed burglars who tend to be unarmed because they try to strike when they believe no one is home and a robber who wants to strike when you are home so that you can direct them to the valuables or open the safe. Robbers tend to be armed.

Statement # 2 very wise. You can't put that bullet back in the gun. Being well trained and prepared will hopefully minimize tragedy. I like the pics posted where guns have lighting systems. You must be able to see and identify your threat. Telling the jury that it was too dark to see anything but I shot anyway will not work out for you too well.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Next

Return to Guns