• Advertisement

IS there such a thing a "common sense gun regulation"?

Topics about guns

IS there such a thing a "common sense gun regulation"?

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:34 am

What do you folks think is acceptable?

Is it too much to have a permit and background check? I use to have to go to my local Police to get a permit. it took 2 min to fill the card. They had full access to FBI, state, and local databases, as well as ongoing court cases (which prevents the crime of passion buys). it took 20 min tops. What was wrong with that? Never kept me or anyone i know from buying. With the internet you can find anything about anybody in seconds. add the mental health search component to the search and it was fine. But they moved to on site telephone bases approval. Easier for seller and buyer, but i'm not sure if its nearly as thorough.

When i first got my concealed carry permit 30 years ago it took 6 months, a letter from the bank, over 20k dollars in transactions monthly for 3 months verified by deposit slips, letters of reference, and substantial training. That was ridiculous! Now everybody can get one, thats great, but they let the training requirement loosen. Honestly, after taking a CPL refresher class a few years ago i'm scared that some of those people are walking around with guns in their waist bands. They know absolutely zip.

Criminals don't follow rules. We know that, so we could add REAL non negotiable mandatory gun sentences. A serious 10 or 20 year automatic for ANY crime with an "illegal" gun. Not this "one with a gun will get you 2 years" crap. I only think there should be a some distinctions because, you could in up with a manslaughter charge for just defending your home with your own gun. Probation on the event but 10 years for having to use your own gun would be dumb. But something like that would make just caring a illegal gun very risky.

Restrictions on magazines, or types of weapons is unacceptable and useless IMHO. If you get a "buy" permit, you should be able to get what you want. Don't even waste time with gun free zones, thats a joke.

The whole private seller, gun show thing needs to be overhauled someway. Maybe a mail in ownership transfer card. just like they transfer car registration. That could allow you to red flag scoff laws, because if you see a pattern of buying on Saturday and reselling a week later, something is wrong and the guy needs to become a licensed dealer. But the average guy could buy and sell without a problem. IF a real nutcase gets a hold of one via private sale, the transfer system could flag the doc and notify local authorities for follow up.

I don't know, just spit balling. What would you folks change, If anything.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Re: IS there such a thing a "common sense gun regulation"?

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:45 am

In Texas to get a permit, we had to go to 2 day training, a lot of it was boring
but you did learn and then we actually shot on a range, which was good for me
as I had never shot the particular gun hubby wanted me to take. Seems like
there was additional training for other guns but its been so many years I can't
remember for sure.

Here in Indiana I went into the Sheriffs office, was fingerprinted and checked out
it took months, they said there was a big backlog. But that was it, no training, no
anything and I got a lifetime permit. I don't think that's good. I would like to have
someplace to go to shoot my guns. They were talking about creating a shooting
range in the nearby city but the neighbors are fighting it, would like to see it
happen I would go. Around here even way out in the country you are not allowed
on the properties to shoot or hunt or target practice.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

almost everywhere there's age restrictions involved - there's some controversy at the upper limits - but for the most part, the restrictions make sense and are necessary ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby archerytech1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:28 am

Yes, it is too much.
That simple. I can see an age restriction but show I.D. (proof of age and citizenship) done. That's the way it should be. I don't care about all of the "well, what about this or what about that. We need to check for this or check for that. Would you feel the same if you or close family was a victim because off loose gun control". Answer is yes, I would feel the same. Every citizen that is of age should be able to arm themselves how ever they see fit. The weak, the crazies, idiots and thugs would be taken care of due to natural selection and or by their choices. Those who are crazy but not stupid would be less apt to do anything stupid knowing that almost everyone around them is armed. Things would take care of themselves eventually.

Would good people die unfairly? Absolutely. Probably quite a few at first for a while. As far as gun control goes I believe it should be the way it was 120 years ago when people showed respect for each other and others property whether that was due to guns on everyone's hips or not.
If everyone was armed all of the time this would be a better country.

Simple is common sense! They've made it complicated.
archerytech1

Postby Blondie » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Does someone's mental capacity affect their right to own a weapon?

If someone is so mentally ill as to be 100% disabled by that mental illness, PTSD, depression, suicidal, homicidal, schizophrenic, bi-polar ...... should they be allowed to own a gun?
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Blondie wrote:Does someone's mental capacity affect their right to own a weapon?

If someone is so mentally ill as to be 100% disabled by that mental illness, PTSD, depression, suicidal, homicidal, schizophrenic, bi-polar ...... should they be allowed to own a gun?

I believe there are laws that prohibit sales to people found mentally deficient, but i don't think the current approval process links to that Data base. You also have HIPAA rules, so psychologist, therapist, and counselors can not notify authorities.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

RayMac1963

Postby anita » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm one of those with a carry permit who knew zip when I got it!! I got mine after Sandy Hook so there would be no problem, should I be stopped with a weapon in my car on my way to the range to learn something about firearms. I do not carry normally, but at some point if I feel the need, I'm legal.
anita

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Archery, Illini, You guys a both here with me in Michigan. Do either of you know if Michigan's new telephone gun approval system is integrated. You can walk in to the Suburban showplace on gun show weekend, they sit on the cell phone with some mysterious call center and 5 min later you walk with anything you want. Does it check for PPO's, does it check other states databases? What about spousal abuse cases that have not resulted in a conviction? My local PD use to check all of that.

and Anita...TAKE A CLASS OR TWO! and I'll send you a link to a DVD series i bought that is great.

RayMac1963

Postby anita » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Ray, I have taken the NRA shotgun and pistol classes so far, but going to the range/taking classes was one of the things that went by the wayside when my husband got sick. I will get back to it soon. I'd be interested in seeing the videos. thanks for sending
anita

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:33 pm

You misled me. You don't not know zip. I feel better. I'm little zealous about gun training, but I learned the hard way...

RayMac1963

Postby oxfat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:33 pm

RayMac,

In my opinion, "common sense” is a code phrase for emotion-based appeals for laws that wouldn’t have stopped any of the recent mass shootings, but each “common sense” law is a step forward in their campaign to end gun ownership.

RayMac1963 wrote:Maybe a mail in ownership transfer card. just like they transfer car registration.
I am against anything that ties a specific gun to me. The reason is that for anti-gun people, their desired end game is a ban/confiscation, like Obama hinted at this last week where he said we should be like Australia. That is made ever so much easier when they know exactly who has what firearm.

RayMac1963 wrote:A serious 10 or 20 year automatic for ANY crime with an "illegal" gun.
That sounds good in theory, but how about this for a scenario: I leave the house with my gun, but I forget to put my billfold in my pocket. My billfold has both my carry license and my identification, both of which are required to be on my person in NC. Say I get pulled over for speeding. I have broken the law, and since I don’t have my license/ID, it is illegal for me to have a gun in my possession. Do this in the wrong jurisdiction and I’m sure they would charge me with that law. Even though it wouldn’t have been meant for that application, in a liberal jurisdiction I’m sure they would try to “make an example” out of me. I may win, but only after a huge expenditure for my defense, which would most likely also cost me my job. The anti-gun liberals play for keeps, and ruining someone on the other side is just fine with them.

My proposal would be to not enact any new laws until the current ones are enforced. I’d have to go back and do some Google searching, but I know I’ve read recently about the laws already on the books that just aren’t enforced. My second recommendation is to review all the privacy laws promoted by the ACLU that prevent us from identifying those who are truly ticking time bombs.

I know this outlook may be considered extreme by some, but I just don't trust the anti-gun crowd to limit themselves to "common-sense" laws they want to enact. They will not be happy until you and I have no guns. Since this is unacceptable to me, I will be against most anything they come up with.
oxfat

Postby Suncat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:52 pm

I can tell you I don't like that my girls may go off to college at 18 and can't get a concealed carry until 21. (and yeah gun free zones are kinda stupid) *sigh* no wonder crimes like rape are so high at colleges.

RayMac - I'd appreciate knowing what that dvd series is. Thanks!
Suncat

"Real feminine nature isn't weak or fawning. It isn't about wearing frilly dresses or reading romance novels.
Real femininity is strong, confident, vibrant. But it is strong, confident and vibrant in a uniquely feminine way.
~Mary Beth Bonacci
Suncat

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 pm

oxfat wrote:
RayMac1963 wrote:A serious 10 or 20 year automatic for ANY crime with an "illegal" gun.
That sounds good in theory, but how about this for a scenario: I leave the house with my gun, but I forget to put my billfold in my pocket. My billfold has both my carry license and my identification, both of which are required to be on my person in NC. Say I get pulled over for speeding. I have broken the law, and since I don’t have my license/ID, it is illegal for me to have a gun in my possession. Do this in the wrong jurisdiction and I’m sure they would charge me with that law. Even though it wouldn’t have been meant for that application, in a liberal jurisdiction I’m sure they would try to “make an example” out of me. I may win, but only after a huge expenditure for my defense, which would most likely also cost me my job. The anti-gun liberals play for keeps, and ruining someone on the other side is just fine with them.

Ox, you would still be the rightful and legal owner WITH legal permit to carry. Even if its not on you. That might get you a ticket, but thats it (and they are required here in Michigan too). Just as it would currently. and Speeding and the gun have no relation. Its not an integral part of the commission of the crime, plus speeding is not a felony. You might spend half a day in jail waiting for you wife to come down with your ID, but haven't we all been through that a time or two.

RayMac1963

Postby orangetom1999 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:52 pm

I did not hear that speech...he said that ...he hinted we should be more like Australia??? Seriously???

I have concluded over the years that any government which does not trust me with a gun and ammunition..will never trust me with a vote. It does not take genius to connect these dots.

This meaning they are intent on rigging the gun ownership market in like manner to how they are rigging the voting marketplace. Emotionally...in order to get certain situations to become normal in the minds of Unthinking Americans.

I shall have to find a link to that speech to which someone here referred.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:14 pm

orangetom1999 wrote:I did not hear that speech...he said that ...he hinted we should be more like Australia??? Seriously???

Orangetom

The one i saw, he compared the US to Great Britain, Australia, and a few other places, and said they have metal ill people everywhere, but these events seem to only be here.

RayMac1963

Next

Return to Guns