• Advertisement

Country Weapons vs City Weapons

Other weapons discussions

Country Weapons vs City Weapons

Postby Photon Guy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am

Weapons a person might use in the country vs weapons a person might use in the city. In the country you've got tons of wide open space, you might live miles away from your closest neighbors or the closest utilities, shops, and services and the town you live in might have very few residents. In the city on the other hand you're very closed in with very little space, your neighbors could be just down the hallway from you if you live in an apartment as many city dwellers do, your grocery shop, gas station, ect. might be just down the street as well as all the other shops and services and the population can number over a million. As such the weapons that a person would use in the country vs the weapons a person would use in a city would differ.

First of all guns. In the country, rifles and shotguns. In the city, handguns. The country with its tremendous wide open spaces and very low population it makes sense that rifles and shotguns would be the way to go. If you're shooting a bad guy you don't have to worry about your round hitting an innocent person if it over penetrates or misses and so therefore with their much greater stopping power it would make sense to use a rifle or shotgun to stop a bad guy in the country. Also, carrying a rifle with you when you go out in the country is much less likely to cause trouble. In the city it could get you arrested but probably not in the country. Also in the country there's farming and hunting both of which are usually done with rifles and shotguns. Obviously in the country people can and do use handguns and there's no problem in doing so, its just that it might make sense in many situations to use a rifle or shotgun with its much greater stopping power and without the problems you would run into if you did so in the city. Now in the city you would want to use handguns since a rifle or shotgun with its much greater penetration is much more likely to hit an innocent person when being used to stop a bad guy. I can see in some situations how a shotgun might me good and effective in the city but not a rifle. With a rifle and its tremendous penetration power its much more likely to go through your apartment wall and hit your neighbor even if it goes clearly through the bad guy. Also you're not going to be able to go around in the city with a rifle or shotgun without getting in trouble. A handgun you can carry considering you've got the proper qualifications to carry. In the city you're mostly reserved to just handguns.

Now other weapons. In the city you're much more likely to use knives. In the country knives are usually used for utility purposes not as weapons. In the city however a knife can be a very good weapon especially if you're trained in knife fighting. Also, tasers and pepper spray you would use in the city but probably not in the country.

Martial arts, definitely for the city. With its much greater population and much greater density you're much more likely to get up close and personal with the bad guys in the city than you would in the country and this would make weapons such as knives, as mentioned above, much more practical in the city than in the country but also martial arts. Also, unlike in the country there are some places in the city where you can't have any weapons with you, guns, knives, tasers, ect. are all banned in certain areas in the city but if you've got training in the martial arts you've always got it with you. Someone here said to me that martial arts will not help me out in the sticks which is why it might not have that many uses in the country but in the city its a different story. In the city martial arts really can help you out tremendously. And in the country it would be very hard, very unlikely, and very unusual to find a dojo, a martial arts school. In the city, there are tons of dojos. You will often find over a hundred schools of martial arts in the city. So you have a much greater opportunity to learn martial arts in the city than in the country. Which is why I prefer the city.
Photon Guy

Re: Country Weapons vs City Weapons

Postby IceFire » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Handguns AREN'T just for the city! I regularly carry my Ladysmith .357 loaded with shotshells out on the property...it's a LOT easier to take out a rattlesnake with THAT than with a long gun! Besides, when I'm out on the tractor, hauling animal feed, hay, etc. it's a LOT easier to carry a handgun than a long gun!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby apache235 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 pm

At one of my med classes a pork shoulder was shot with a 9mm, a .223 and a 12ga slug. The 9mm and the 12ga both penetrated, the .223 did not. The wound channel on the 9mm was, well, 9mm or a little bigger, the .223 had a cavity you could fit your fist into with a tiny entrance hole, the 12ga was awesome. All shots were from about 2'. Also, most people that practice martial arts would get killed in a street fight.
apache235

Postby ajax727 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Most people in the rural areas use what is needed to do the job be it a rifle a handgun or a shotgun . Like icefire said a shotgun or rifle on a tractor would get in the way of work unless it has a cab then it could be kept in a handy position . Most carry a hand gun it could be cannon or a peashooter aka a 44 mag or 22 .
As for the martial arts or knife it might work in the city but when you bring a knife or a chop chop kick kick to a gun fight well you know the results it is snap crackle pop no more chop chop .
A shotgun in the city would work fine pistol grip legal short barrel loaded with #4 or #6 , up close it would make a mess of the target a few yards more it would do the job also add a few more yards and it would spray the target .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby daaswampman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 pm

I live in a rural area and my BOL is further out! My primary tool of choice is a 357 revolver. Easier to move with in heavy underbrush. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 pm

opinion - stupid premise ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 am

Alright I can see how handguns would be useful weapons in the country and I never said country people don't or shouldn't use them. Out in the country where there aren't that many people you are much less likely to run into a perpetrator so carrying a handgun for self defense might not be necessary at least when it comes to dangerous people but I didn't consider other dangers such as rattlesnakes and wild animals. And a handgun is much easier to carry than a long gun when you're doing all the work you would do out in the country. Its just that when I think of the country I often think about farmers with shotguns and rifles so that is why I associate long guns with the country.
Photon Guy

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am

apache235 wrote:Also, most people that practice martial arts would get killed in a street fight.

Do you have any training in the martial arts?
Photon Guy

Postby Yeti_2015 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am

I just have a question is this really something someone thinks about? First a weapon is a weapon regardless where it is. It’s a tool, just like a hammer, screwdriver or any other in my toolbox. Yes handguns are more concealable, but rifles can be just as effective in an urban environment as a rural. They can both over penetrate depending on what ammo you are using. I will say that most farming that I have done or ever seen done does not require a weapon of any kind. Hunting does require a weapon like a rifle, handgun, bow, or other weapons. Shotguns have their place in all aspects of hunting, protection and aspects of life. Next knifes have their place, but it would be my LAST line of self-defensive for my protection other than my hand and feet. Now days it’s not like it was even 10 years ago where almost every truck in the country had a rifle rack with a rifle in them. Yes it is more likely to see a rifle in a truck or around/on a person in the country, but it’s not that common. Most people don’t keep them out in the open like they used to. To many people that would try to steal them. Also in the state I live it is illegal to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle. Martial arts are a very different aspect of self-defensive all together. Yes I believe in certain situations it could save you, but most fights are fought standing up. They usually end up on the ground grappling with each other. So martial arts would be helpful, but to me MMA training would be better bet. Now I have lived in the city and I’m now in the country. I lived most of my childhood up through my young adult life in the country, then moved to the city for work. I liked it for a few years then it got old to me. I missed the easy going life that they city didn’t have. I have sinced moved to a rural area and love it. I would not go back for anything. Where ever you chose to live is your business, but don’t say that a rifle is not an option for self-defensive in the city. Ammo plays a lot into how much penetration the projectile will have after hitting its target.
“Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
–John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
-Mike Tyson
Yeti_2015
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am

Yeti_2015 wrote:Martial arts are a very different aspect of self-defensive all together. Yes I believe in certain situations it could save you, but most fights are fought standing up. They usually end up on the ground grappling with each other. So martial arts would be helpful, but to me MMA training would be better bet.

MMA is a martial art.
Photon Guy

Postby Yeti_2015 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 am

Photon Guy wrote:
Yeti_2015 wrote:Martial arts are a very different aspect of self-defensive all together. Yes I believe in certain situations it could save you, but most fights are fought standing up. They usually end up on the ground grappling with each other. So martial arts would be helpful, but to me MMA training would be better bet.

MMA is a martial art.

Its a combination of a lot of different martial arts. When I say martial arts, I mean just learning one type like Karate, Taekwondo, Jui-jutsu, or Kick Boxing. A singular would be better than nothing, but MMA would be the best in my opinion. I am not an expert in any martial arts, but I have been in my share of fight. 90% of time we end up rolling around on the ground.
“Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
–John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
-Mike Tyson
Yeti_2015

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:opinion - stupid premise ....

I do not think I would call it stupid.

As others have posted, the original post is more obviously one sided, and myopic.

Yeti 2015 states quite well, the right tool for the right job. One would never use a short barreled AR15 for grouse hunting, no more so than one would use a twenty eight inch, over and under to clear houses in urban Kabul.
However I would not rule out the use of a long gun in a urban area where mastery of a firearm is more important be it a handgun or a long gun. But we should all strive to be a Rifleman, as defined by the late, great COL Jeff Cooper.
While I am generally not endeared of technological solutions, there have been advances in metallurgy and frangible ammunition.

During my deployment to Afghanistan, I have no recollection of anyone having to engage in hand to hand combat.
Nor do I recall any Marines or Army soldiers forgoing their M16/M4 in favor of their M9 in urban combat.
I do not recall the insurgents preferring handguns to long guns in urban combat.
If there is any one place in the world that would look like the USA in a SHTF situation, it is Afghanistan.

We use pepper spray out here in the country. It is called Bear Spray.

I was in wrestling in Jr. High, and High school.
Formal hand to hand combat training in the USMC.
Judo.
Krav Maga.
With exception of wrestling, the other three, prior to the start of training, stated first to only engage in physical force when is the last resort. Do anything and everything to get the advantage by using anything and everything around you before resorting to use of your own body. Make contact, then break contact and get out of there. It is not some hollywood movie. You are not Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, or Jackie Chan where you take on forty-six guys single handedly and come out on the other side sweaty and slightly winded without a scratch. There is always someone out there, bigger, faster, stronger or who by plain dumb blind luck, gets the upper hand and you lose.

Another disadvantage with any kind of martial arts, injuries.
I had a roommate in Taekwondo, zigged when he should of zagged: broken jaw.
One of my Judo instructors, third degree black belt, dislocated knee in formal competition. He had the video. It was cringe worthy to watch.
Head injuries. As we have seen from football, and boxing, head injuries can lead to serious medical issues and it can be so much as one bad hit from even sparing in practice. Memory loss, difficulty concentration, tremors in the hands, vision issues, speech issues and more.

I would argue having good situational awareness would serve you better than years and years of martial arts training. Lot cheaper too. I have lived in a number of hostile urban areas and have never had to draw my weapon, or get into a confrontation all due to my knowledge of Go/No-Go areas, and awareness of my surroundings.

Knife fights. Just do not do it.

As it was noted in the original post, living in a urban environment has the greater possibility of putting one in closer contact with hostile types. And, as we have noted in many a sudden SHTF situation threads, those hostile types could go from a small percentage of the population, to the majority of the population in short order. I do not believe any of us are going to receive a personal text message from Kim Jong-un, saying he is launching a EMP/nuclear attack in ninety minutes and to get to your BOL.

Perhaps this thread should have been a comparison/contrast to urban to rural, the pros and cons of each.
I think it would have been a much better discussion.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby rickdun » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:16 pm

What Cast Iron said.

Anything can be used as a weapon, as long as you can get your hand on it. Also tools of opportunity, if your caught with your pants down, a hand full of dirt in the eyes of the other can get you out of dodge.

As far as martial arts, it's better then not knowing martial arts.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Photon Guy wrote:Alright I can see how handguns would be useful weapons in the country and I never said country people don't or shouldn't use them. Out in the country where there aren't that many people you are much less likely to run into a perpetrator so carrying a handgun for self defense might not be necessary at least when it comes to dangerous people but I didn't consider other dangers such as rattlesnakes and wild animals. And a handgun is much easier to carry than a long gun when you're doing all the work you would do out in the country. Its just that when I think of the country I often think about farmers with shotguns and rifles so that is why I associate long guns with the country.

Really - there is no 911 or friendly neighbors in hollering distance! You are on your own! Being obviously armed makes a difference! While at home I ALWAYS open carry, as a notice of my intent! I know how to use my weapons and if given cause , will use then without hesitation. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:16 pm

daaswampman wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:Alright I can see how handguns would be useful weapons in the country and I never said country people don't or shouldn't use them. Out in the country where there aren't that many people you are much less likely to run into a perpetrator so carrying a handgun for self defense might not be necessary at least when it comes to dangerous people but I didn't consider other dangers such as rattlesnakes and wild animals. And a handgun is much easier to carry than a long gun when you're doing all the work you would do out in the country. Its just that when I think of the country I often think about farmers with shotguns and rifles so that is why I associate long guns with the country.

Really - there is no 911 or friendly neighbors in hollering distance! You are on your own! Being obviously armed makes a difference! While at home I ALWAYS open carry, as a notice of my intent! I know how to use my weapons and if given cause , will use then without hesitation. Swamp

Swamp,
I am inclined to disagree.
Per my observations, living in urban, sub-urban and rural areas, the people I have found most friendly are, by far, those in the rural areas.
People out here wave or honk as they go by.
My wife had a front wheel drive car, got stuck in the snow. Here I am pushing and not having luck. Some guy, driving by, saw our predicment, stopped, turned around, came back, and helped me push my wifes car out.
I never met him before.
I help my neighbors on a regular basis. I have tea or coffee with them on a regular basis.
They give me scraps to feed my hogs.

Honestly I felt sub-urban areas to be the most hostile. No one waved, or said hello. Very stand off-ish. And I walked my dog around the neighborhood on a daily basis.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Next

Return to Other weapons