• Advertisement

Looking for a best Axe for Chopping wood!

Topics related to camping, including parks and other places to camp, gear, tips and ideas etc.. (Not Necessarily wilderness survival. For wilderness survival topics please visit the Survival Category)

Looking for a best Axe for Chopping wood!

Postby arsenal33 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Hello brothers,

Greetings to all! Hope everyone here is doing great. I am looking for a Axe for Chopping wood. I love camping and hunting. So most of the time basically summer I go for camping and haunting as well. I took all of the necessary things. However, for completing a good camping I need a better and solid axe for chopping wood. So that I can cut out small tress for fire in front of my tent. So please suggest me a good axe for chopping wood.

Thank you so much!
arsenal33

Re: Looking for a best Axe for Chopping wood!

Postby rickdun » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 am

As far as for camping and if the trees are small, I have an old plum hatchet that was my grandfathers that I use for cutting wood and hammering in metal tent stakes. But it has a wooden handle and I've broke it several times

It really depends on what you want, single bit, double bit, short handle or long handle, wood handle, metal handle, 3 inch bit or a 5 inch bit. There are so many variations and I have all that I mentioned, but I do prefer a hatchet.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby RockinB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:47 am

I'm with rickdun on this one. Hatchets get a lot more use around here than axes. If something is big enough to need an axe i'll use a chainsaw.
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby Gordon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 pm

I've been camping/backpacking since dirt was new and have never needed an axe or a hatchet, even when car camping. There have been times when I've backpacked with a folding saw, but these days I even leave it behind. Many wilderness areas forbid open fires. In those that do, I've found more than enough wood lying around, particularly in areas devastated by pine beetles. That said, here at the house, which I heat with wood, I use a Fiskars X27 ax. Makes splitting a dream.
Gordon

Postby Northern Freeman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Ditto on the Fiskars, I split about 8 cord each year and its the best I have found.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 pm

if you're handy think about making a two-for-one tool .... sharpen up an old solid handle entrenching shovel ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby arsenal33 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Thank you guys for your thoughtful answers. Actually need a reliable and good axe for myself for different task. However, I am trying to use an axe from axeandanswered How is this one? Did anyone try this yet?
arsenal33

Postby JoyDog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:06 pm

A Kelly True temper is the best ax ever made. A 3 lb double bit is my choice.
JoyDog

Postby arsenal33 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 pm

I have seen few good reviews about an Axe from askandanswered website. I would like to try there. What do you think?
arsenal33

Return to Camping