• Advertisement

Relieve toothaches and infections naturally

Take care of those teeth! When the SHTF you may not have access to a dentist. Sub-forum for pre and post TEOTWAWKI dental care.

Moderator: roger o

Relieve toothaches and infections naturally

Postby gannett » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 am

Article by Tony Issacs

Toothaches generally occur when a tooth's nerve root becomes irritated. The most common causes of toothaches are infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth. Pain may also occur after a tooth has been pulled. While no one enjoys a painful tooth, the good news is that tooth pain and infections can usually be relieved and healed naturally.

If your toothache comes from an abscess or other infection, combine the use of 1) oil of oregano topically and internally; 2) colloidal silver topically, internally and for swishing; and 3) warm salt water for alternate swishing as follows:

1. Take several drops of oil of oregano under the tongue. Hold for a few minutes and then swish with lots of colloidal silver as frequently as once every hour.

2. Spit out the colloidal silver and then swallow additional colloidal silver (up to 8 ounces total in a day).

3. Gently rub some colloidal silver into the gum area around the tooth.

4. After a few minutes, rub oil of oregano onto the gum area.

5. In between the colloidal silver swishes also do a fairly vigorous warm salt water swish (preferably sea salt) and follow that up with more oil of oregano rubbed into the gums.

More natural remedies which can relieve and heal painful toothaches
1. Purchase some ginger root. Cut off a piece of the ginger root and remove the skin. Put the piece in your mouth on top of the painful tooth and bite down on it. The pain should subside very quickly. Keep the rest of the ginger in a container in the refrigerator and replace the piece in your mouth periodically as needed.

2. Relieve a throbbing tooth with clove essential oil (Syzygium aromaticum). The aromatic chemical in clove called eugenol numbs pain and kills bacteria. To apply the clove oil, soak a cotton ball or swab with the oil and use it to wipe on and around your sore gums and tooth. Repeat as needed.

3. Take one teaspoon of blackseed oil (Nigella sativa) and 1/2 cup of vinegar and boil. Cool and then use as a mouth rinse to reduce inflammation and infection. Rinse every couple of hours until the pain and/or swelling is gone.

4. For tooth abscess and infection, put two level teaspoons of salt in a cup. Pour a small amount of boiling water on the salt in a cup to dissolve it and then fill the cup with enough cool water to make the solution warm. Rinse your mouth slowly and well, using all the salt water. Repeat at least twice a day (the more often the better). If this does not work at first, try increasing the amount of salt.

5. Use a cold pack or other cold items to relieve pain. When you have a toothache, pressing something cold on the outside of your mouth can often give temporary relief, especially if you are having problems sleeping. If you don't have a cold pack, no need to worry about ice that will melt in the middle of the night - simply grab anything from your fridge or freezer. You can use a jar of mustard, a bottle of water, you name it. If the container is frozen, cover with a wash cloth before placing on the skin. Note: Do not take a food item to bed which will spoil.

6. Supplements which may help clear infection and speed healing include olive leaf extract and bromelain.

Note: If your tooth pain worsens or persists more than a few days, see a qualified dentist - preferably a holistic one.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035284_tooth ... z1pZNsqprg
gannett

Re: Relieve toothaches and infections naturally

Postby AuntB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:39 am

Thank you for this posting. Lots of great information. One thing people need to be aware of is that clove oil is very strong, check strengths and be very careful when using. My local health food store and dentist advised using clove oil diluting prior to using in your mouth. Also if you have sensitive skin & you use it for cuts, it could burn your skin.

I never knew you could use oil of oregano for dental. I have used it for illness but never dental. I amazes me how many natural remedies are out there and people always want drugs.
AuntB

Postby dinger66 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:34 pm

i have one now thanks . i will have dentures soon lol
dinger66

Postby mr bill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:59 am

I think an answer might be "use whatever you have". Toothache pain (or any severe pain) is something that can run your life until it's relieved. In a situation where traditional medicine is unavailable, you do whatever you can to end the pain. Preparing for as many scenarios as possible is why we do what we do. That being said, get as many aids as you can accumulate, then get your skill levels to a point where you know what and how to do what must be done to alleviate the situation. Something as simple as a tube of Ora-gel can make a big difference until proper care can be found.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby Wild Cookery » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Natural news is a good resource.

I've used Oil of Oregano before. It's a bit 'hot' under the tongue. But it works well. Most everything has a natural remedy. Nature doesn't exist in a vacuum. If there is an ailment, there is a natural remedy.
Wild Cookery

Postby stonebear » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi,
thanks for the post with all the great info on natural pain relief. I've been suffering from such for some time now without insurance and have been using whatever I could find to ease the pain when it comes around. I've always had sensitive teeth and had to use Sensodyne. It helps but being mostly chemicals I'm sure it isn't good for me. The oil of oregano is a new one. For that matter, they all are. I plan to print that post as soon as I can get to a printer.

I recently heard that honey is good for putting on open wounds to prevent infection - not the highly pasteurized, big chain store honey like Sue Bee, but the locally made good stuff.

I was experiencing some pain in my right rear upper molar last week and took a tablespoon of honey and held it in my mouth letting it wash over the tooth and slowly drain down my throat. I was surprised that the pain went away.

Has anyone else heard of using honey like this?

stonebear
crazyworldofhours.wordpress :ninja:
stonebear

Postby Tom Bergstrand » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Floss, brush, repeat at least twice a day. Works wonders.
Tom in Kingman Arizona
Oath Keeper #005181
Kingman Lodge #22 F&AM Kingman Arizona
U.S. Paratrooper
Tom Bergstrand
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Tumeric is another pain reliever/dental salve that's widely used.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm

stonebear wrote:I recently heard that honey is good for putting on open wounds to prevent infection - not the highly pasteurized, big chain store honey like Sue Bee, but the locally made good stuff.

I was experiencing some pain in my right rear upper molar last week and took a tablespoon of honey and held it in my mouth letting it wash over the tooth and slowly drain down my throat. I was surprised that the pain went away.

Has anyone else heard of using honey like this?

stonebear
crazyworldofhours.wordpress :ninja:

I never heard of using honey for toothaches, but here's a recipe for a honey and cinnamon paste. They have some other cures, all of them mentioned by others, and a few more. (Tea Tree Oil seems to becoming popular for just about everything except changing a tire, but the taste gets some getting used to._ http://www.homeremediesweb.com/toothach ... remedy.php

There's a great general article on uses of honey for all sorts of things on Mother Earth News : http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural- ... z2LaCJ2Tcl

Aunt Bee 2
=================================================================
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby stonebear » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Thanks Aunt Bee. Admittedly, the 'honey for tooth pain' sounds a little far fetched and though it seemed to work at the time (and once or twice since), it was probably a fluke. It probably just tasted good enough to make me forget I had a toothache. Anyway, it was Kentucky 'Sourwood' Honey.

The only thing medically that I've used honey for (with any reasonable amount of surety) is as a disinfectant on cuts, scrapes, burns, etc. I apply a bit of honey to the wound or the bandage then wrap as usual. I use it the same way I would a triple antibiotic ointment and change the bandage a minimum of once a day.
stonebear

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:04 am

I'm not a dentist, by a long shot. My guess on the honey for a toothache would be that the honey filled the hole in the enamel of the tooth keeping the air from affecting the exposed nerve and creating pain. I usually use clove oil for toothaches myself.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby Lynda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 am

ashleycoldham wrote:Toothaches generally occur when a tooth's nerve root becomes irritated. The most common causes of toothaches are infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth. Pain may also occur after a tooth has been pulled. While no one enjoys a painful tooth, the good news is that tooth pain and infections can usually be relieved and healed naturally.

Best to visit the dentist for any tooth infection. Why take chances?
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Toothaches generally occur when a tooth's nerve root becomes irritated. The most common causes of toothaches are infection, decay, injury, or loss of a tooth. Pain may also occur after a tooth has been pulled. While no one enjoys a painful tooth, the good news is that tooth pain and infections can usually be relieved and healed naturally.

I recently had a HORRENDOUS toothache (basically, it felt like the tooth was getting drilled WITHOUT novocaine). Turned out, it wasn't the TOOTH at all, but a sinus infection! Once the sinus infection was cleared up, so was the tooth pain. Point is, though, not all "toothaches" are actually caused by a bad tooth.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Tom Bergstrand » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Same thing happened to me. A local "dentist" recommended a root canal. I drove a few hundred miles to see my former dentist that told me it was just sinus pain. I bought a box of sinus pain pills from Wally World (their Equate brand) and have had no problems. A thousand dollars saved.
Tom in Kingman Arizona
Oath Keeper #005181
Kingman Lodge #22 F&AM Kingman Arizona
U.S. Paratrooper
Tom Bergstrand
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Yep. I'm always highly suspicious of "tooth pain" in my upper molars, because I have a low sinus cavity, and the roots of my upper molars extend up INTO my sinus cavity. So, whenever I get an infection in my maxilary sinus, it pretty much "sits" right on the root of one (or more) of my teeth, and you'd SWEAR it was an abcessed tooth, but in fact it's a sinus infection. I've pretty much learned to differentiate them by now (thanks to having had so many of them) but still pretty miserable (and some of them downright excrutiating!) The last one was so bad it required TWO rounds of antibiotics, and a course of prednisone to reduce the inflammation to get it under control.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Dental Care