• Advertisement

How do you stay fit??

Stay Fit and Stay Healthy. Your survival depends on it.

Moderator: medic94

Re: How do you stay fit??

Postby Mtn_Hiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I hike in the mountains. Swimming during the summer after working in the garden, and just started kick boxing in the winter.
Playing like a kid outside- kick ball, swinging, climbing probably keeps me in better shape than anything. I know it wears me out more than anything else, one of these days I'll grow up... :rofl:

I don't do it to be in shape, Just do it because I love being outdoors.

Mtn.
Mtn_Hiker

Postby easyday1984 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:14 pm

I do a whole bunch being I am active duty and training to go into a spec ops career field. I run (usually with a high altitude mask on currently set at 9k ft elevation) I lift, but my bread and butter (not as of late due to rotator cuff impingement) is swimming. I usually tie a 5 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom around my waist with some nylon rope and hope in. It will make you a strong swimmer I just over did it a bit too much (lesson learned with the rotator cuff impingement). Also love a good ruck march through some trails/rough terrain.
easyday1984
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Location: active duty military (oscar mike due to PCS'ing but home is Michigan)

Postby Jim Evans » Wed May 07, 2014 12:10 am

Being fit is always on my mind and I think on most of people. Different people follow different fitness regimes as per their body type. I like swimming and walking the most and these two activities work fine for me. Yeah I opt for jogging too sometimes.
Jim Evans

Postby ARDon » Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 am

daaswampman wrote:Yard and garden work. There is never enough time and more real work than can ever be done. Swamp

I agree, I work my business which is 10hrs a day, yard work and gardening on the week ends & after work on the week days for a few hrs
ARDon

Postby kianmellin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:22 pm

I stay fit with running and yoga.
kianmellin

Postby AuntBee » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:38 am

:blink: :dots: :rolleyes:
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby 8greenbeans » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:26 pm

On top of the demands of our small farm & garden, I hike - a lot, swim, and do crossfit at home.
For some asking about doing CF at home - I use http://hiitmamas.blogspot.com/ I like it as it is reminiscent of my days in the Corps.

USMC Veteran
Army Daughter
USAF Mama
USN Niece
MrBean's Wife
8 Beans (28b, 24b, 23b, 22g, 20g, 17g, 15b, 13g)
2+3 GrandBeans (2yob, 1yob, & due Oct '16, Dec '16, & Feb '17)
3 Beans-in-law (28g, 22g, & 21b)
8greenbeans

Postby IceFire » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:59 pm

I need to add to my earlier post. In addition to working in the garden to stay fit, planting trees, berry bushes, etc., and hauling 40 lb sacks of chicken and rabbit feed, there are now two horses in my fitness routine. Hauling hay, hauling feed (50 lb sacks), hauling manure (and believe me, those two make a LOT of manure!) as well as chasing them around the corral when they DON'T want to be caught, grooming, picking hooves, hauling saddles, and finally, RIDING.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gordon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:42 am

I'm encouraged to see so many members engaged in some form of physical activity. Personally, I throw a few weights around in the garage and try to take a brisk two- to five-mile walk daily. A number of years ago I attended a meet-up of preppers, and among the discussion topics was bugging out. A few of the more vocal advocates for bugging out were morbidly obese. If their bug-out locations were much beyond the end of their driveways, they probably would not make it.
Gordon

Postby Senah » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Gordon wrote:I'm encouraged to see so many members engaged in some form of physical activity. Personally, I throw a few weights around in the garage and try to take a brisk two- to five-mile walk daily. A number of years ago I attended a meet-up of preppers, and among the discussion topics was bugging out. A few of the more vocal advocates for bugging out were morbidly obese. If their bug-out locations were much beyond the end of their driveways, they probably would not make it.

I had a similar experience. I pretty quickly stopped going to meetings, because my feeling is that if you can't even take your health seriously at all, you're more of a hobby prepper. IMO the foundation of all preparedness is good health. Storing a lot of stuff is just hoarding.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby sharons » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:51 am

I just follow some regular rules for my physical fitness. Use treadmill for doing exercise in 3 or 4 days a week. Maintain a proper diet chart includes fruits, vegetable also meat. Drink a lot of water for getting energy. When get time walk in outside.
That's my routine.
Sharons
http://americanpreppersnetwork.net/ucp.php?i=164
sharons

Postby Senah » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:55 am

sharons wrote:I just follow some regular rules for my physical fitness. Use treadmill for doing exercise in 3 or 4 days a week. Maintain a proper diet chart includes fruits, vegetable also meat. Drink a lot of water for getting energy. When get time walk in outside.
That's my routine.

I think simple like this is best. If everyone just did simple things like this, everyone would be healthier and happier. We rely on such complicated things, and really it is this simple.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby musketjim » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:07 am

I can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I've been here. I'm on other prepper forums and I lost track of some of them unfortunately this was one of them. Figured I'd start on fitness since I am a fitness freak. I train for 2 goals, powerlifting and ultra endurance. Odd bed fellows I know but since I retired from the military I took a job that gives me the time to continue making physical fitness a priority. My gym season starts in Aug. with basic powerlifting workouts, and I gradually transition to longer runs starting in Oct. because I have a 100 mile race I do every Feb. pulling a sled thru frozen Alaska. After my race I transition back to powerlifting getting ready for having my summers off from work. I spend a lot of time at my off grid doomstead , which I'll describe in another area. I also do ultra bicycle rides and kayaking and rafting. Most of my work at the doomstead is done by hand, wood splitting, stump pulling, water carrying etc. Need all my strength to get that done. More to add later. :thumbsup:
musketjim

Postby IceFire » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 pm

musketjim wrote:I ...I gradually transition to longer runs starting in Oct. because I have a 100 mile race I do every Feb. pulling a sled thru frozen Alaska.

Iditarod?
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Physical Fitness