• Advertisement

Vitamins , which ones to take?

Stay Fit and Stay Healthy. Your survival depends on it.

Moderator: medic94

Re: Vitamins , which ones to take?

Postby Rod » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 am

mintbird wrote:
Rod wrote:What are some good sources of vitamine D in the wild? The only one I am aware of is mushrooms, but they are very risky for the average forager. There must be some animal sources.

I believe you can get Vitamin D by being in sunshine.

Oh that's right :)
I am interested in a natural supply, something that I can dry or can during the summer would be OK, for when I am all covered up with warm clothing during winter. I am much more succeptable to colds when my vitamine D drops in the winter. I get plenty of sun in the summer that I don't need to eat my vitamine D. The last few winters I have been supplementing my vitamine D and I am much healthier.
Where will you turn to for help when the Red Cross, Salvation Army and your Insurance is worn out? A.N.T.S.
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am

Eating healthy during the winter months is difficult. I have done tests on fruits and veggies purchased from a grocery store using a Brix/sugar level refractometer and have discovered to my dismay that 99% of mass produced store bought veggies have absolutely zero nutrient content. The veggies I grow in my garden test at 18 and some, like cukes, cantelope and tomato, come in at a whopping 32 which is the top of the scale. I attribute this to all the organic matter added to the soil each spring to feed the plants. So you can see as well as feel the difference when eating home grown goodies. We processed and canned as much as we possibly could but in late winter the shelves are almost empty, so we take a shot glass full of liquid vitamins and minerals each day. I noticed a big difference after starting on the vitamins, thicker nails, faster hair growth and more flexability with less joint pain so I am a firm believer in taking mineral/vitamin supplements as they make me feel better.

Postby condomain » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Naked skin under the sun, 30 minutes at a time.

Total freebie.

But that is not really sufficient for optimal dosage. Just basic survival level D3 dosage.

Postby Senah » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Research shows 90% of Montanans are deficient in Vitamin D. Drinking milk or being in the sun is not enough to get your levels between 50-100 (optimal range). I would supplement all year long at 5000 IUs daily. Especially important for women as we are more susceptible to auto-immune disorders (Diabetes Type 1, MS, Lupus...) and the highest levels are where people see the least sunlight year-round (Alaska, Washington, Scandinavia).

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby 295linda » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 am

I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals from whole grains and fresh or frozen or freeze-dried fruits and vegetables rather than relying on multi-vitamin tablets. There is no certainty that an expensive, commercially produced vitamin product will have the right kinds of substances and in the right amounts to provide what your body needs and in a way that your body can best absorb those substances -- manufacturers have been known to be less than honest about the claims they make on packaging. All too often I have seen people rely upon taking vitamin tablets as a way of excusing their choice of staying on a steady diet of junk food, fast food and heavily processed nutritionally empty food. One of my concerns has been how to make nutritionally sound meals from storage food so that they have more than just calories. White rice, macaroni and Raman noodles store well and have low prices, but provide little nutritionally other than calories. I now make it a point to store wheat (first frozen for 72 hours) and lentils in oxygen-permeable containers so that I will have live but dormant seeds to sprout. I use these sprouted seeds to make raw salads as well as cooked meals so that I can have a goodly amount of vitamins and minerals as well as calories in my food storage meals. Since sprouting is a three or four day process, I also re-package and store Tang drink mix and dried hibiscus flowers (herbal tea) so that I have two simple and inexpensive forms of vitamin C as a back-up if I should have to provide meals at short notice for extra people.

Postby Aldstan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 am

Because most people misunderstand how "vitamin" D works (it's actually a hormone produced in the body), they end up missing out on the benefits of optimum levels. Most Americans are sadly deficient, including even myself (the working lifestyle is a hard fix). So I'd like to share a few things I've learned that will hopefully help out.

First, Vitamin D is created when sunlight lands on the skin and mixes with cholesterol on the skin. This cholesterol is present on our skin in our body oils. Once Vitamin D has formed, it begins to absorb into the skin. It can take hours after a sun exposure to absorb all of the Vitamin D that has been created on our epidermis. When we excessively shower (we've become a once-a-day culture thanks to the keen marketing of toiletry producers in the early Twentieth Century) we wash away these essential body oils, along with whatever Vitamin D we are carrying around unabsorbed. Most of us go in and shower after we get out in the sun because we don't want to feel sweaty and stink. (Usually our sweat stinks because our bodies are trying to detox but we don't understand and feel pressured by our peers to be "clean".)

My best recommendation here is to get out and experience real life in the outdoors, stop dousing yourselves with chemical cocktails every day (the FDA does not require companies to list all of the ingredients in their personal care products due to proprietary laws), and finally, learn to look upon your pampered friends with pity when they are trying to pity you for smelling like a barn. They don't understand, and it's leading them to cancer and multiple sclerosis.

Last of all, regarding Vitamin D in the summer, if you suspect you are deficient, by all means find a good supplement (one made from lanolin would be best), but if you are living a natural lifestyle, try not to worry too much about it. You see, our bodies are designed to cope with the cycles of nature, which is why some nutritionists recommend eating foods in season. I firmly believe that if we are living as naturally as possible, with a good understanding of the great herbal medicines in our environment, and taking into account the nutritional changes wrought in our food supply, we should always enjoy good health.

Return to Physical Fitness