• Advertisement

Prepping with NO money

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: raggi5

Prepping with NO money

Postby solacecai » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I thought I'd throw this out there... for those who really have no money to prep, check into using swagbucks if you don't already. it's a search engine and you randomly get points when you search. Then you can trade in those points for rewards. For prepping, I suggest sticking to the $5 amazon.com gift card. Save them up then buy the things you want on amazon.
I know what it's like to feel the need to prep but having zero money to do it. Right now hubby and I don't have the $$ to pay our rent this month, much less buy anything extra.
solacecai
North Carolina Preppers Network

Re: Prepping with NO money

Postby Killer_B_Killed » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm

that is a really good idea. another good idea i have seen is people making things from pvc or other low cost materials that would cost a fortune to buy at a store.
Killer_B_Killed

Postby karlsgunbunker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:02 pm

I found this book on Amazon for $0.99.
I haven't had time to read it yet but for a buck, If I get only one good idea it will be money well spent.

Poverty Prepping: How to Stock up For Tomorrow When You Can't Afford To Eat Today

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RI ... k_ro_title
KGB - 01FFL - $20 Transfers in Indianapolis area.
"Doing what I can with what I got!" - Burt Gummer
karlsgunbunker
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby connecticut yankee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 pm

http://www.freecycle.org/
craigslist.org - free section
[color=#BF0000]P+[/color]
connecticut yankee
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby Mollypup » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Also, learn to link coupons to sales.......for some extreme couponing. No, not like the show......you don't have to do it that way to get fabulous deals on stuff you want/need, and it stocks up just as fast. If you don't have money for the sunday paper for the coupons you can print from online. OR you can ask people who get the sunday paper if they use their coupons, if not, ask them to save them for you. (or at least ones they don't use)

You can learn to do it here:

http://www.krazycouponlady.com

This site has detailed instructions on how to as well as some videos. It takes practice and careful planning. You learn to buy in cycles according to sales. And you can get a LOT of freebies this way as well. They have each weeks deals for the various stores listed under Find My Store. Just click on the store you shop at and it will have the sale items with matching coupons listed. :) And yes, you can use coupons with food stamps. (you can also use food stamps to buy seeds) It is well worth putting in work though.

Look around the house and try to spot ways to save on utilities, what you save there can be used toward prepping. Around here we have the following:

1. If not in use, unplug it. (stops parasitic power usage)
2. Turn lights off when you leave a room.
3. Fill a jug with the cold water coming out of the faucet while waiting on it to heat up. (used to fill dog water bowls)
4. If it's yellow, let it mellow......otherwise flush.
5. Brick in the toilet tank to reduce water usage.
6. Put up black out curtains. (helps insulate for heat/cold)
7. Thermostat goes to 60 degrees when we go to bed, never goes over 65 degrees.
8. No AC unless outside temp is over 100 degrees (not heat index)

These are just some of ours. I've had NO money for prepping for a year........or well, I wouldn't except I squeeze a penny until it sits up and begs....haven't found a way for them to reproduce yet. :floppytongue: And I've managed to prep an awful lot, nearly as much as before. You can probably think of even more ways to cut back......it's somewhat an individual thing. Like I said, these are only some of mine. And I'm sitting down this weekend and tightening the belt even more if I can manage it as I'd like to prep even more than I've managed thus far.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Wild Cookery » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 pm

All great ideas. :)

I'd never heard of swagbucks, but I will definitely check it out. Every little bit helps! :clap:
Wild Cookery

Postby basketchick43078 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:44 am

I buy when I can....gain free knowledge and practice skills when I can't. You can get really creative in lean times.

Great post topic!
basketchick43078

Postby Lynda » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 am

Prioritize. Determine needs vs. wants, pay yourself first for that emergency fund and when you save a few bucks buy a copy of the Frugal Gazette. Or borrow it from the library.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby lorie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 am

There are still plenty of things you can do for free.
Look up the plants that are local to your area and find out their uses.. if you don't get a newspaper find someone to give you theirs that they would normally recycle and make newspaper logs or fire starter balls. Cost: nothing.
Gather info on back to basics recipes, medical info, make up a notebook so you have it all together.. good luck! Free stuff is good!
lorie

Postby solacecai » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 am

Check out freestufftimes.com also. Most of the time the stuff on there is pretty useless for prepping, but sometimes you'll find toothpaste samples, razors, yesterday there was even a link to a free "credit card survival tool," but they were completely out within minutes.
solacecai

Postby Mollypup » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:13 pm

lorie wrote:There are still plenty of things you can do for free.
Look up the plants that are local to your area and find out their uses.. if you don't get a newspaper find someone to give you theirs that they would normally recycle and make newspaper logs or fire starter balls. Cost: nothing.
Gather info on back to basics recipes, medical info, make up a notebook so you have it all together.. good luck! Free stuff is good!

lorie, I'd love to learn what native plants I can/can't eat and how to use them. But I'm also a bit leery about trying to learn to identify them from a book even with pictures as I know many varieties of plants look similar and even plants of the same variety you can have one that is edible, yet one of the same family group that can make you very sick at best. In other words, I know just enough to make me nervous to try it. lol I have no issue identifying dandelions of course and I know they're edible, I just don't know when to pick or how to prepare. And I can not only spot but smell wild onions growing without fail and I DO enjoy those. (they're very common here, grow all over the neighborhood) But that is the extent of my skills. Pathetic.

So for those who have taught themselves this skill, how difficult was it to learn? And what was your favorite resource?
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Tinga » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:24 pm

MollyPup... This is the Go to reference site I use. It doesn't have pictures, but gives GREAT info on uses, amounts and preparation.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ ( Under Herbs)

You'll have to look up the individual plants themselves, but I really was impressed with the amount of GOOD reliable knowledge that was in there.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson
Tinga
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm

And don't forget to ask for anything that is free. Even extra sugars and salt packs can add up. Have family that works in an office? Ask them to help. I met a young couple at a gun show and we got to talking. With a crap job and several kids they don't have money to prep. I cleaned out the drawers at work and asked others to do the same for a young couple needing some help (I left out for what). A few thought I was crazy, but that was not the first time. I ended with boxes and boxes of stuff that nobody wanted. Cleaned out some of my excess and asked a few friends to do the same. It was fun, enlightening, and good practice to do some basics again. If you can get past the ego / shyness issues there is a lot an individual can do by just asking. A sense of humor does not hurt either. Ever haggle over a 25 cent shirt at a garage sale or ask your dentist for extra sample tubes of tooth paste! It's fun and all they can say is no! Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby lorie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Very creative Swamp!
I work in a school, the amount of "supplies" that are tossed ( because the individual is not paying for it) are tremendous!
crayons. melt them for fuel. Ask your local school to save them for you! They love a new project.. however silly they think it is..they will do it...well, tell them not why but it's going to a good cause..
The plastic containers from fruits (from the government) make nice containers for storage, they are plastic see thu. My school throws these away by the tons. ask for some..
Tossed newspapers are good for, wait, I think I said that already,
There are usually sand piles for the town people to pick up here for sanding yards and driveways in bad weather, get some for sandbags to line your inside walls with. bullits cant go thru that very well.
Wow, I'm outta steam. Tues. took a toll... :o
lorie

Postby Mollypup » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Tinga wrote:MollyPup... This is the Go to reference site I use. It doesn't have pictures, but gives GREAT info on uses, amounts and preparation.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ ( Under Herbs)

You'll have to look up the individual plants themselves, but I really was impressed with the amount of GOOD reliable knowledge that was in there.

Thank you! :)

daaswampman wrote:And don't forget to ask for anything that is free. Even extra sugars and salt packs can add up. Have family that works in an office? Ask them to help. I met a young couple at a gun show and we got to talking. With a crap job and several kids they don't have money to prep. I cleaned out the drawers at work and asked others to do the same for a young couple needing some help (I left out for what). A few thought I was crazy, but that was not the first time. I ended with boxes and boxes of stuff that nobody wanted. Cleaned out some of my excess and asked a few friends to do the same. It was fun, enlightening, and good practice to do some basics again. If you can get past the ego / shyness issues there is a lot an individual can do by just asking. A sense of humor does not hurt either. Ever haggle over a 25 cent shirt at a garage sale or ask your dentist for extra sample tubes of tooth paste! It's fun and all they can say is no! Swamp

Very good advice. :shakeyes:
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Next

Return to Financial Issues