• Advertisement

TIPS FOR PREPPERS WITH FINANCIAL AND BUDGET DIFFICULTIES

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Re: TIPS FOR PREPPERS WITH FINANCIAL AND BUDGET DIFFICULTIES

Postby Mollypup » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:15 am

LS

I don't give to charities. Most of what you're giving is eaten up in administrative costs and very damn little gets to what it's supposed to be going for. Doesn't make me feel the least bit guilty. Instead I donate old glasses to the Lion's Club, have for ages. I donate to the local food pantry. I've helped out people in need where I work more times than I can count, same for neighbors. Same thing, different way of doing it. I use a more direct form of charity.

I haven't had cable or satellite in 5 yrs (only way to watch tv here). Cell phone is a cheap walmart one with minutes that come on a card. My minutes keeping growing & I only buy a card every 3 months or so. I never talk on my cell until the minutes reach a ridiculous stage........and I'm going to have to call and chat with someone on it soon. lol Twenty bucks for 3 months of service that works everywhere is better than any plan I've ever seen. I can access internet with it, I don't because it eats up minutes.

I stopped buying cheap made stuff about 20 yrs ago when it finally dawned on me that a heckova lot of clothing from places like walmart look threadbare and worn out in a year but clothing I buy at the top notch name brand outlet 20 yrs ago look brand new. In order to manage it, I kept a close eye on their sale cycle. Once I learned that I was picking up clothes there far cheaper than even walmart for me and the kids. So yes, this poor person walks around dressed in Bill Bass & Gloria Vanderbuilt ect. lol

I avoid disposable items most of the time. However since working paper plates, plastic cups have become cheaper than not buying them......means less dishes and you'd have to have my outrageous water bill to understand. (plus less work for me)

Cost of living is sky rocketing. I could meet my monthly bills fairly comfortably 3 yrs ago with a decent amount left over for some good prepping......nothing enormous, but I still could prep comfortably if I kept and eye on sales and such. Now I'm nail biting to meet those monthly bills & eat (as in stay within the food budget) with next to nothing left over for prepping. I've cut expenses as far down as they can possibly go. There is no more cutting the budget & getting rid of frills.

In fact, this post got me thinking. I mean seriously thinking on that subject.

Three years I've been trying to work out how I could swing a 2nd job. My working hours are such that it makes that really next to impossible & the physicality of my job makes weekend work nearly as impossible. So I gritted my teeth and just dealt with it. After being a stay at home Mom for nearly 30 yrs I had to create a work history if I ever had hopes of better choices.

I've been searching for another job for a while now. Not long after the debate over how some people can & and some can't swing a 2nd job (in the replies here), I got a call back on one of them. The pay is quite a bit more an hour than what I now make, however they work a great deal of overtime......which would make my take home check more than twice what I bring home now. At first that 7 days a week thing really put me off. Overtime is great but I have a household to run as well. But I decided to go talk to the recruiter and see what they had to say. I had no issues of getting the job (making parts for Honda). Yet I had to do a lot of thinking on whether or not I thought I could manage it. This post made me realize that it was the answer to the 2nd job problem. The 2 days of overtime is nothing more than having a 2nd job would be........except I will get paid more than I would at an actual 2nd job because overtime pays time & a half. I drop from 1o hrs a day at old job to 8 hrs a day at new one. Working 8 hours is nothing to me anymore. lol

So.....I took the plunge and have decided to try it. I gave old job notice yesterday. I have orientation with new job on tuesday. I'll be working at old job until new one starts, which is supposed to be the monday following orientation. I've spoken with both places about what if I hate it / can't do it.....new job I give 48 hrs notice and all is fine, old job I can come right back to without a single hitch, not even lose seniority or pay scale. Now, you can't beat that. So, I'm going to give it a whirl. I've heard wonderful things about this place, except the 7 days a week thing. But 8 hrs.....well that gives me plenty of time to do the household things as well.

Lifelong, we have a LOT of folks in this income bracket working at my old job (and guessing others like it) via temp services. Some work part time, others full time for the same reasons as you stated. Our oldest temp person is 74 yrs old. She needed a new car. Her fixed income was such she couldn't comfortably afford the payments. She works 6 hrs relieving people for breaks and lunch.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby handyman777 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 am

Good for you Molly. I hope it all works out for your best interest.... and congratulations.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:45 pm

we don't make or receive that many phone calls either..so tracfone does great for us.moms phone has double my minutes,while mine has triple my minutes.so paying $20 every 3 months just to keep them active works for us..only time we donate something to good will or salvation army,is if it's worth having.and it simply aint selling in our yard sales..other then that.it sells,or it goes into the trash for the trash collectors,or burn pile,if it's burnable..when i buy something to keep,and wont be eaten,chances are,it'll have 2 or more use's.and hopefully,it's on sale as well..that includes,stores,yard/garage sales,estate sales,to where ever.i wait till winter items go on sale,then buy.same goes for spring/summer/fall,and holiday items as well.need any xmas lights? LOL..any food that can be home canned,probably does get canned.i have 5 pints of chicken broth in the pressure cooker now.3 quarts of chicken in broth is next..good about that,is that these foods aint taking up fridge or freezer space.they'll be here for us when we're ready for it..
jimLE

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Congrats Mollypup! :D Sounds like you are working with 2 very understanding employer who have some wisdom and compassion for others. Wonderful! So if you have nothing to lose by giving it a try out, go for it. :D I probably have not gone into it much on this topic, but I learned how to survive in jobs, by working for a wide variety of Temp. employment agencies. :) The good thing about them is the flexibility of picking your assignments, working them into your own schedule and convenience choosing the type of work suitable to you or that you would enjoy, and the freedom of being locked into anything long term. :) Several clients wanted me to go permanent full time because they liked my work ethics and the quality of work I did over a period of time. I never did accept any lock down offers. :) I liken that to becoming a slave to your job, and locked into a permanent schedule and giving up one's freedom of choices and making one's own decisions. :) I valued my personal freedom more than that. Mostly those jobs were survival jobs, but some were secondary jobs as well. :) P.S. Another thing that I have found to be very helpful is learning to use electric appliances in the most effective, efficient and least energy consuming ways. :) Doing this can save you 20% or more of your electric bill that you paid before doing this. :| Here is something I think needs saying. Hillary Clinton is NOT and economist and never has needed to be in her whole entire life. :| She keeps saying if elected that she will push to raise minimum wage to $15.00 per hour. :| BUT what she does not tell people is that if that happened inflation and rising prices would negate the net gain immediately. :) Stores and businesses and others would raise their bills, prices, and gouge and cheat the difference from consumers, resulting in a net loss for the wage earner and all consumers. :| Stupid woman! The youngers don't think about that, but it has happened to us olders each and every time for the past 50 years. :| That guise is pure false Propaganda. :) PERIOD. So many unenlightened fall for it it is ridiculous. Forest Gump's Mom told Forest..."Stupid is, is stupid does". :) This is a very serious Topic to me and I hope I can help people with the things I have learned about it. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Yep, My landlord tried to gouge me this month and so did the power and gas Company. So I cut that down and turned it into a net reduction of nearly $40.00 per month on rent and utilities expenses in my monthly budget! :D :clap: :thumbsup: :D :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Mollypup » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 pm

New job is working out great thus far. I'm 5 days in and work overtime tomorrow, then I got lucky and I'm off sunday. :)

I'm not going to say it's all buttercups and roses because all jobs have their cons as well as their pros..........but so far this one's pros are overwhelming the cons. The biggest con is the drive which is twice as far.........a drive that probably isn't doing my 17 yr old car much good. And at the moment, it seems to be the only real con I can think of.

I lucked out. (no, actually I think I was "meant" to make this move) It's not less physically demanding than the job I had, but it still is better. The people are great. The employers are great. They BBQ for us quite frequently.......huge spread. They make sure you're trained properly. They make sure you know the company policies & are using them. They are on top of quality. And they appreciate hard work. I have to say I am enjoying working for the Japanese and I wish that my old company had their qualities but sadly they don't. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

And oddly enough, I seem to be taking to it like a duckling to water. (amazes me) I'd never say I'm mechanically inclined in the least....oh, heck no. But in five days I've learned to run 7 machines and can walk a part down the entire line by myself. Unbelievable. ANNNNNNDDDD I can do quality control on each one of those machines. Go me, huh? lol Odd but I think it's sort o' fun. (go figure)

My son is actively learning to cook full meals as Mom's feet hurt too much when I get home. (breaking in new steel toed boots is awful) I direct, he cooks. :)

So unless that overtime just kills me or something major changes at the job to make me change my mind...........this looks like the place for me for now. Lord knows I'm gonna like the money. :shakeyes:

Raising the minimum wage, especially drastically, only increases inflation. Common sense. Businesses certainly aren't going to take the punch in their profits, the customer always pays for it.
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:08 am

congrats on the job..
jimLE

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Yep, our membership here just keeps growing by leaps and bounds, so I want to move several topics to the forefront for easier access for newer members. :-) n Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:05 pm

Message contains too few characters. That's a new one for me on here. :) :D :rofl: :clap: :wave: :| So lets put this Topic back out in the open again for easier access to newcomers to APN. Our membership is growing daily by leaps and bounds. :thumbup: :D Get out your entrenching tools and dig in. :D Lets stand firm with all of our resolve. Yeah! :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Staying Alive Comedy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:20 pm

Lifelong Survivalist wrote: Pay off debt. Become debt free except for month to month living expenses. Keep your extra cash and refrain from spending it all.

I completely agree with this part of what you said. You should for sure have enough in hard cash and physical assets to get you buy indefinitely. I don't think you need to separate yourself from stocks and all that prematurely though. If you invest wisely you'll have more that you can withdraw to keep in tangible form. Just be smart and, like you said, get out of debt and stay out of debt!

I plan to stockpile some cash and also an entire room full of beef jerky and potato chips. ;)

Have a peek at what we are doing here:
Staying Alive Comedy

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:39 am

Staying Alive Comedy wrote:I plan to stockpile some cash and also an entire room full of beef jerky and potato chips. ;)

Sounds like a plan to me :thumbup:
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Previous

Return to Financial Issues