• Advertisement

canadian gold maple leaf vs american gold eagle

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

canadian gold maple leaf vs american gold eagle

Postby tddup4e » Fri May 27, 2016 5:49 pm

What would be better to have a Canadian gold maple leaf or an American gold eagle. or would it be good to build up a little of each?

I have been alternating my buys between 3 1/10 gold eagles one month and 20 1 oz. silver eagles the next month. to off set my IRA. I have looking at some Canadian gold maple leaf. What is everyone's opinion?
tddup4e

Re: canadian gold maple leaf vs american gold eagle

Postby condomain » Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 pm

Your gold is only as good as whoever is willing to trade you for stuff.

And most people, generally speaking, are probably more familiar with the gold coins of their own countries.

If you are not going to trade the actual coin, and may melt it down as bullion, then it doesn't matter and you are just buying at the best rate per ounce.

However, it is better to keep all the packaging and the actual coins, for trading.

Just imagine how YOU would feel accepting a "gold coin" from some dude, that you do not know, in the future, in exchange for your preps that you are selling.

ALSO, some gold merchants will ACCEPT your gold coins and turn it back into cash, when you decide that it will never SHTF and you want to sell your gold to buy a big TV again. Half joking. But anyway those merchants will only accept certain coins, probably the same ones they sell you. Ask them about their policies.
condomain

Postby daaswampman » Fri May 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Many people prefer pure metal and that gives the Maple a slight edge. This is most noticed when dealing with non Europeans.

Gold and silver has traded for thousands of years, in every country and among every class. It trades everywhere money is not trusted or people want privacy. A working knowledge is not beyond anyone with an average IQ and would be a valuable skill to learn now. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 pm

When you say you want to offset your IRA, you're sayng that you want metals to supplement your retirement?

This is my goal, too but I try to only buy at rock bottom prices so I sit out months and use that cash for durable goods or just stash it for other preps.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Return to Financial Issues