• Advertisement

Luckily part of our way of life is saving money

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Luckily part of our way of life is saving money

Postby broden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:11 pm

i don't like loans or being in debt so we strive to remain as debt free as possible and right now we are with the exception of our mortgage .. which we are paying off as fast as we can

in may my beloved oldsmobile silhouette got totaled .. a guy in an oncoming pickup thought it would be a good idea to make a sudden left turn across my path as i went through a green light.. took out most of my front drivers side .. thankfully he didn't try to play any games and admitted full fault right away..

so i went through all that mess and finally got my check.. but you know how that goes not enough to replace my van not really... and that was a great van never a single problem with it what a champ.. i always said the guys building it must of been having their best day that day...

so with the check and a chunk of money pulled out of savings i got a new/used 2012 van.. so far so good but it was sure money we were not intending on spending.. i really wanted to get at least another 100k miles or more on my oldsmobile... but such is life

at least we don't have to make any payments or deal with a bank or any of that mess
broden

Re: Luckily part of our way of life is saving money

Postby handyman777 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Thankfully you weren't hurt, ( I hope ). vehicles can always be replaced.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby broden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:34 pm

nah i was fine.. the other guy told me after it was all said and done .. he was just happy i didn't get out hollering at him

i would only get hurt if i was in a wreck and the other guy had no insurance.. i'm lucky that way
broden

Postby Gunns » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:44 pm

It sucks when you lose something that actually works great. Glad you're not hurt.

Debt free and staying that way.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby broden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Gunns wrote:It sucks when you lose something that actually works great. Glad you're not hurt.

Debt free and staying that way.

that is a solid truth
and thank ya much
broden

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 pm

It could have been like me. I was in the process of changing insurance companies, just the day before.
This was a couple of months ago.

Was doing a good deed, took a stray dog to the humane shelter.

I was backing up to leave, truck was parked sideways behind me, and I rolled into it. It was my fault, even though
I wouldn't have parked where he was. I have a backup camera, vibrating alarms on seat, etc, but it was off that
day for some reason. Like I said just rolled into his rear fender. What could I do? I went in and told them, he came
out, it just put a dent in his fender about the size of a coke can bottom. I said get an estimate we will pay out of
pocket. It cracked my plastic tail light lens, on a caddy its tall, and put 3 spots on my bumper, knocked some paint
off the rubber. So he brings me an estimate, $1100, holy whatever!! Claimed they had to paint the whole fender
and bent the wheel. I doubt it seriously but like my husband said we had to pay it. So I did. Then my plastic tail
light was $400. It made me sick but if I had turned it in would have lost the new insurance, can't remember the last
time I had an accident. I didn't get the places on my bumper touched up, couldn't afford it. Going to try and order
some touch up paint, lucky the electronic stuff in the bumper didn't get messed up or that would have been thousands.
I'm sure he had a good chuckle and I would bet he never had the little ding fixed, but I did the right thing and it cost
us dearly.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby broden » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:57 am

one thing i did tell the guy was.. had it just popped my headlight or some such i would of just told him to go on his way.
broden

Return to Financial Issues