• Advertisement

Interesting article on the next few years!

Discuss Finances Here. *Note, this is not a replacement for Professional advice and should not be used for such.

Moderator: medic94

Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby eochief66 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:00 pm

eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm
Karma: 7

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby rj5156 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:29 pm

I enjoyed this article and also another one you posted a link to that featured Rep.Buffet speaking about gold and silver as a means for citizens to control government very much!

I gather you are pragmatic and favor holding durable goods as assets, so much as is possible. I favor that myself because while gold and silver may store value they cannot do work or meet needs in situations where needs are basic as in food but there are not goods to buy with money. In an economic collapse the goods are what is needed and money has little value to those who are starving.

I had noticed that individual states have been quietly passing legislation to accept silver as legal tender. I have also seen states upholding right to carry legislation. I find these items fascinating in combination. Wonder if they see the upcoming storm and hope to ride it out independently? Pure speculation for my own entertainment but I have wondered what others think about it.

Given the scope of so many countries carrying national debt loads that cannot possibly be repaid as things stand, we might yet see a "world currency" as an effort to reset and stave off total collapse? Printing money creates far more problems than it can hope to solve, in the balance but it seems to be human nature to try to stave off the inevitable as long as possible. Would world-wide hyper-inflation render it impossible to try a world currency? Or even a fiat currency in individual countries?

The international efforts to do away with physical money in favor of electronic funds might be a behind the scenes effort to work toward an economic reset?

I do not begin to understand the full implications but I see no way out of our own national debt short of defaulting though I am sure our financial powers can make our situation far worse before we hit that point. I actually hope Trump can pull it out - but we buy durable goods that will help us be more comfortable come what may.

The problems of social security combined with a national lack of personal pension funds and ever rising costs of healthcare for the profit of insurance companies is another strong force in the whole picture. The lack of pensions was addressed in the article linked in your post here and it touched on the heavy losses retirement accounts took some time ago. That round of devastating losses will not inspire people to invest traditionally for retirement savings and this lack of confidence can do the fragile economic house of cards no good.

I have been watching the approaching financial train wreck for years and scrambling to do what I can to brace myself. Mostly I have a lot of questions that cannot be answered yet. At this point I fear I might well live to see them answered.

Appreciate you sharing the links. Be interested in what you think may come of it all?
User avatar
rj5156
 
Posts: 2279
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:57 am
Location: Southern Indiana
Karma: 7

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby eochief66 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:27 am

This quote pretty much say's it all!


"Which Assets Are Most Likely To Survive The "System Re-Set"?
Your skills, knowledge and social capital will emerge unscathed on the other side of the re-set wormhole.
Your financial assets held in centrally controlled institutions will not." - Charles Hugh Smith
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm
Karma: 7

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby apache235 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 am

I think we all should have hard assets but also things that will be in demand such as food. A 50 lb bag of rice doesn't cost much now, in a time of no food it will be worth more than its weight in gold. Same with seeds and so on.
apache235
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm
Karma: 6

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 am

eochief66 wrote:This quote pretty much say's it all!


"Which Assets Are Most Likely To Survive The "System Re-Set"?
Your skills, knowledge and social capital will emerge unscathed on the other side of the re-set wormhole.
Your financial assets held in centrally controlled institutions will not." - Charles Hugh Smith


Read that one too. I thought it was pretty good.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 am

apache235 wrote:I think we all should have hard assets but also things that will be in demand such as food. A 50 lb bag of rice doesn't cost much now, in a time of no food it will be worth more than its weight in gold. Same with seeds and so on.


I agree.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby Halmic73 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:44 pm

I keep in mind that the beginning of money was to transport wealth efficiently. If you don't plan on moving around rice, beans, and other commodities will be your reserve. If you think you might be mobile gold and silver are your friend along with the skills and knowledge to live off of the land. IMO
If you ain't got time to do it right the first time you won't have time to do it right the second time.
Halmic73
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Karma: 0

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby rj5156 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Good points all around on assets! I don't ever plan on moving around but life is uncertain. I have always chosen to invest my excess money in tools, better tools, cheap tools at flea markets, and extra tools! I do stock non-perishable foods as long ahead as they will keep.

Along the way I have also watched ebay over many years, for semi-precious gemstones and whenever I could win some for a ridiculously low amount - I did. They are small, extremely portable, easy to hide. Not something most folks stockpile either.

Everybody thinks of gold and silver, so I never could get much of those for pennies on the dollar like I have the gemstones. Since I have literally almost nothing in them, and they are soooooo pretty, it seemed like a fine idea to me.
User avatar
rj5156
 
Posts: 2279
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:57 am
Location: Southern Indiana
Karma: 7

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby sageprice » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Lets not forget what happen when they claimed that Gold and silver were need for the war effort. So far a bag of wheat or other grains has not been declared as illegal to own.
User avatar
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1288
Images: 0
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Northern AA county Maryland
Karma: 63

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby KazKaz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 am

I'm sorry for being the negative one here, but.. after reading the entire article, I closed the page thinking I had just read a clever sales pitch from somebody in a position to benefit greatly by pushing propaganda while tapping into the current pulse of the election to garner confidence from those who would be paying the 20% commission and 5% annual maintenance fees into his personal savings account.
There is no question that the national debt is an anchor that we, as a country, must find a way to break free of.
But, the 1800's are gone. We can't tie our horses off to the watering post out in front of the general store and trade gold nuggets for groceries.
$Trillions of dollars in debt? To who? Who does the nation owe that money to? Itself.
The problem with that is.. nobody is making any sacrifices to right that wrong, and balance the checkbook.
Nobody dares to audit the expenditures of the government to identify the problem.
Instead, just print more monopoly money.
That is no solution.
If we all emptied our bank accounts, sold our investments, and liquidated our assets, the banks would only have enough paper money to give us perhaps 2cents for every dollar. If even that.
But, because we can walk up to any ATM, push a couple keys, and be holding $100 in a matter of seconds, that provides the illusion of financial security.
That's all it is. An illusion.
Gold may very well be civilizations next global currency.
But, not until recovering -- AFTER the collapse of the current world economy.
This linked article is putting the author of it in a better position to survive the ongoing economic meltdown.
At the expense of anybody who believes the illusion.
Personally, instead of buying gold, I will put a couple hundred pounds of food in the storage shed.
Why?
Gold has ZERO nutritional value.
KazKaz
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:28 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby Gunns » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:18 am

KazKaz wrote:I'm sorry for being the negative one here, but.. after reading the entire article, I closed the page thinking I had just read a clever sales pitch from somebody in a position to benefit greatly by pushing propaganda while tapping into the current pulse of the election to garner confidence from those who would be paying the 20% commission and 5% annual maintenance fees into his personal savings account.
There is no question that the national debt is an anchor that we, as a country, must find a way to break free of.
But, the 1800's are gone. We can't tie our horses off to the watering post out in front of the general store and trade gold nuggets for groceries.
$Trillions of dollars in debt? To who? Who does the nation owe that money to? Itself.
The problem with that is.. nobody is making any sacrifices to right that wrong, and balance the checkbook.
Nobody dares to audit the expenditures of the government to identify the problem.
Instead, just print more monopoly money.
That is no solution.
If we all emptied our bank accounts, sold our investments, and liquidated our assets, the banks would only have enough paper money to give us perhaps 2cents for every dollar. If even that.
But, because we can walk up to any ATM, push a couple keys, and be holding $100 in a matter of seconds, that provides the illusion of financial security.
That's all it is. An illusion.
Gold may very well be civilizations next global currency.
But, not until recovering -- AFTER the collapse of the current world economy.
This linked article is putting the author of it in a better position to survive the ongoing economic meltdown.
At the expense of anybody who believes the illusion.
Personally, instead of buying gold, I will put a couple hundred pounds of food in the storage shed.
Why?
Gold has ZERO nutritional value.


I sort of agree with you. So now you ate all that food and your gardens failed due to weather and you're standing there with nothing of value to get some food from others. They ask you "have any silver or gold" and you say NO but I have this tractor that still runs and they say, can't fit that tractor in my pocket.

The truth of it is that gold and silver will always be the currency of choice, even in, during and after a disaster.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby eochief66 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 am

I post articles such as this one to make people think! As others here, I read a lot about finances, state of our country etc. I do not and hopefully others do not take one persons article as gospel. I glean from these articles what I deem relevant and dismiss the rest as propaganda.
Over the past years many of the ideas of these authors have come to fruition, many have not.
Keep an open mind, and always think out of the box!
eochief66
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm
Karma: 7

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby sageprice » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Just to put some ideas in your head;
1. How long will you hold Gold and silver before you can trade it in for the NEW economy.
2. What value will a barter marketer place on your PM when he knows you are hungry and he has no place to cash it in.
3. Will your PM's gain or lose its value compared a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs. During a depression it gained during an inflation it lost.
User avatar
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1288
Images: 0
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Northern AA county Maryland
Karma: 63

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby Gunns » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:03 am

sageprice wrote:Just to put some ideas in your head;
1. How long will you hold Gold and silver before you can trade it in for the NEW economy.
2. What value will a barter marketer place on your PM when he knows you are hungry and he has no place to cash it in.
3. Will your PM's gain or lose its value compared a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs. During a depression it gained during an inflation it lost.


Good questions. You could buy a gallon of gas with the same amount of silver since 1909. Same suit of cloths with a gold coin. Same with a car. The Model T was about $825 dollars and gold was about $20.

Its about protecting what you have in most cases. Diversify.
____________________________________________________________________________
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
User avatar
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: NE Texas

Re: Interesting article on the next few years!

Postby RockinB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:47 am

Good article. The author (based in Europe) doesn't make one dime off of anyone in this country when we walk in a pawn shop and buy gold / silver bullion at a decent price over spot or order 100 ounces of silver rounds online through a US mint. One's labor is finite and history shows us that precious metal has always been the preferred medium of exchange and preservation of labor. Hard times are coming for those that ignore what's going on globally with fiat currency. I'll continue storing my labor in silver and lead and hopefully wont need either.


Here's another good article: http://theantimedia.org/cash-europe-mov ... per-money/

"Since the public’s attention has been drawn to emotional manipulations and political stunts, the threat the war on cash represents has gone unrecognized. Instead of feeding energy into systems meant to divide and conquer, individuals must educate themselves to secure their own financial futures. By submitting to the hive mind and following the media down whichever rabbit hole they choose, the most important issues of today will go unnoticed. The value of advocating for decentralized and physical alternatives to the banking system may not be easily grasped by the activists of today, but few other things have the potential to erode freedom on such a massive scale."
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
User avatar
RockinB
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 pm
Location: Texas
Karma: 24


Return to Financial Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer