• Advertisement

Food items that get either overlooked or under appreciated!

The Prepper Broadcasting Network is a website oriented to individuals who believe in being aware, being prepared, and having a plan.

Food items that get either overlooked or under appreciated!

Postby gman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Food items that somehow gets either overlooked or under appreciated and the MRE.
This week on “The Prepared Canadian“, we are going back to the topic of food storage, but this time with a twist. We will only take a look at on food item that somehow gets either overlooked or under appreciated…the MRE.
Meals Ready to Eat are not what they used to be. These days they are more nutritious and flavorful than the ones you remember from the Canadian Military from the 70’s. More importantly, these compact and complete meals serve to solve the problem of what to carry in your bug out bags, car kits, or on a day trip to the deer blind or fishing hole.
One company that supplies preppers as well as emergency response teams is Meal Kit Supply, who were kind enough to send me a sample to review for you. We will dissect this product from the case package down to the condiment kit and look at each portion of food and drink inside as I had a panel of expert food tasters known as “my kids” give everything a thorough taste test.
As if that weren’t enough to fill a show, we will also take a look at how you can put together your very own MREs with a few supplies and some common food items you likely already have in the pantry.
http://prepperbroadcasting.com/2013/01/12/food-items-that-somehow-gets-either-overlooked-or-under-appreciated-and-the-mre/
Saturday 1/12/2013 7:00pm/Est. 6:00pm/Ct. 5:00pm/Mt. 4:00pm/Pt
Live Listen & Chat: http://prepperbroadcasting.com/listen-chat/
Call in to listen: 1 (646)716-4008

American Preppers Radio "The Prepared Canadian!"
http://prepperbroadcasting.com/
Information Station"American Preppers Radio"http://prepperbroadcasting.com/
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
gman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Food items that get either overlooked or under appreciat

Postby IceFire » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Since I live near a military base, and have base privileges (husb is retired army), I regularly pick up a few MREs when I am at the commissary. Probably have about 4 or 5 cases worth, now. I use them regularly to toss into a backpack for hiking, keep one in my saddlebag on the motorcycle, a dozen in the truck for "just in case", etc. In fact, when my husband and I moved 2,000 miles, we traveled on MREs. If we got hungry, all we needed to do was pull into a rest stop and tear open a couple of MREs. Saved us a lot of money on the road!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby 101airborne » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Sorry but I have to disagree here. The MRE's are bulky, heavy, and despite what many people think have a pretty limited shelf life. Stored in perfect conditions they'll keep for several years. HOWEVER if stored say in a car kit during the summer in 90+ heat the shelf life drops to only a couple of months. Add to it the fact that they are getting very expensive. Last time I looked they were going for about $9-$10 each
101airborne

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Sounds like an interesting topic.
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby bacpacker1513 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 pm

I store a few MRE's, mainly for use while bugging out. During this time you will not have time to stop and cook, nor do you want to let out foods smells from cooking. MRE's are perfect for this. Drop in a heater, open and eat.

The idea of using these while traveling in normal times is a great idea as well.

Other than that, I think they cost too much, are too bulky, and weight too much for use at other times. Great to have, but in limited supplies and use's.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 am

I must be honest, and having years of stored food, not one MRE..Go figure!!
'God charts our paths; it is we who must take it'
JayJay

Postby namwal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 am

MREs have a very specific purpose. They are ideal for the military or camping or as an emergency food source since they have a relatively long shelf life and can be eaten with out rehydrating or heating. This is why they are often considered for BOBs. Regular old can goods can serve the exact same purpose however if weight is not an issue. Heat will reduce shelf life of both.

Freeze dried and dehydrated foods require a source of water. They can cost a great deal of money but have the longest of shelf lives. These are light weight also, except for the water and fuel to warm them for best taste.

The prepper staples of beans and rice are very heavy and absolutely must be cooked, requiring water. These are inexpensive and can be made to last longer in a o2 free environment. These are best suited for already being pre deployed at the BOL.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Agree, Namwal. The whole point is, that each type of food item serves a specific purpose. No food storage plan should concentrate on only ONE to the exclusion of all overs. They all have a place, depending on the situation.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Prepper Broadcasting Network