• Advertisement

Phillips screws vs regular screws

Ask Carborendum for tips on construction and building projects here

Moderator: Carborendum

Phillips screws vs regular screws

Postby Photon Guy » Mon May 08, 2017 6:37 pm

The screw is an ancient invention. Supposedly there's evidence that there were screws around as early as the 3rd century B.C. Anyway, from what I know sometime in the mid 20th century they came out with the Phillips screw. The Phillips screw was a new and improved design and its distinguishable with its cross head design. So I was wondering why today all screws aren't Phillips screws? Its supposed to work better than the old fashioned single slot screw so I don't see why they still make the old single slot screws. I particularly find this frustrating when I need to turn a screw and its an old single slot screw and all I've got are Phillips screw drivers. You can sometimes use a regular screw driver to turn a Phillips screw but you can't use a Phillips screw driver to turn a regular screw. So like I said, its frustrating.
Photon Guy

Re: Phillips screws vs regular screws

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon May 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Photon Guy wrote:The screw is an ancient invention. Supposedly there's evidence that there were screws around as early as the 3rd century B.C. Anyway, from what I know sometime in the mid 20th century they came out with the Phillips screw. The Phillips screw was a new and improved design and its distinguishable with its cross head design. So I was wondering why today all screws aren't Phillips screws? Its supposed to work better than the old fashioned single slot screw so I don't see why they still make the old single slot screws. I particularly find this frustrating when I need to turn a screw and its an old single slot screw and all I've got are Phillips screw drivers. You can sometimes use a regular screw driver to turn a Phillips screw but you can't use a Phillips screw driver to turn a regular screw. So like I said, its frustrating.

then a square drive or clutch head is really going to pizz you off ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rickdun » Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Photon, they make about 50 or more different head screw styles anymore, I have a 20 pack of bits for screws and every bit is a different size, different depth, different dimension, different pattern, etc.. That's not including security screws, metric/american sizes, kinda like wrenches, open end, box end, metric, american, half open, half closed, straight, curved, S shaped, etc..

Manufacturers just can't leave things simple, it's all about the almighty dollar anymore. :help:

But, I buy all standard screws, phillips and standard, it makes it simple for me.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby bacpacker1513 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm

After working industrial maintenance for year, I have found I really like Allen head for as much as I can use. Phillips works well for small stuff.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Phillip's head screws date to the mid 19th century, as do hex head bolts and nuts. Not common, but they can be found on machinery from the mid 1800s.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue May 09, 2017 9:09 am

Photon...lol...you reminded me of this.

Look closely... ;) My favorite "think image" in todays sociality....

In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby bacpacker1513 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 am

He head, thanks Reb. Grew up hearing them called Allen head and could not recall Hex last night.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513

Postby Photon Guy » Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 am

DRIVENbyKNOWLEDGE for some reason the image isn't showing up.
Photon Guy

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am

Photon Guy wrote:DRIVENbyKNOWLEDGE for some reason the image isn't showing up.

Hmmm...it shows in my feed....

Can anyone one else not see it? I can see it fine in my above post.....

Try these links if not.....it gives it away though, sort of...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/17521886024527525/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/50806302024808973/
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby arkieready » Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Torx (star drive)
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 pm

I am not an authority on this but it was explained to me in the following way:
Anything with a circular thread is a screw.
As screw becomes a bolt if it has a nut on it if not its still a screw. (machine screw)
any difference in the head are only attempts to increase or spread the applied pressure to the surface. (cap screws verses flanged)
Any differences in the drive point are attempts at transfer more torque (twisting motion) to the screw. phillips vs slotted vs torx vs square vs hexhead (allen).
Thus is my complete knowledge on the subject.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Wed May 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Yeah...lots of screw types. I have no preference (maybe Phillips for general use). I just keep lots of bits and drivers around to deal with the variety.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Everyman » Wed May 10, 2017 1:30 pm

When wood was extensively used in yacht and ship building slotted wood screws were an absolute requirement. Boat hulls were typically built from clear cabinet grade mahogany screwed to oak frames. All the care in the construction was identical to fine cabinet making. The wood was treated as a precision material. When a hull was planked the planks were fastened to the frames with bronze screws that were counter bored into the planks. The counter bore was then filled with a plug that was glued in place. Often, after years of use the screws had to be replaced. The planks were fine but the screws would become wasted. So shipwrights would pull the plugs and replace the screws. One problem they always had was that the glue used to hold the plug filled the slot of the screw. It was a simple matter to take a straight bladed screwdriver and ‘chisel’ out the glue from the slot so a larger bit (turned by a brace) could be used to remove the screw. If you use a phillips head screw in this application it would be a nightmare to remove the screws because it is tedious to remove glue from a phillips head screw. The same thing is true of screws that are countersunk, puttied over and painted.
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 am

Everyman wrote:When wood was extensively used in yacht and ship building slotted wood screws were an absolute requirement. Boat hulls were typically built from clear cabinet grade mahogany screwed to oak frames. All the care in the construction was identical to fine cabinet making. The wood was treated as a precision material. When a hull was planked the planks were fastened to the frames with bronze screws that were counter bored into the planks. The counter bore was then filled with a plug that was glued in place. Often, after years of use the screws had to be replaced. The planks were fine but the screws would become wasted. So shipwrights would pull the plugs and replace the screws. One problem they always had was that the glue used to hold the plug filled the slot of the screw. It was a simple matter to take a straight bladed screwdriver and ‘chisel’ out the glue from the slot so a larger bit (turned by a brace) could be used to remove the screw. If you use a phillips head screw in this application it would be a nightmare to remove the screws because it is tedious to remove glue from a phillips head screw. The same thing is true of screws that are countersunk, puttied over and painted.

And there ladies and gentlemen is a very good history lesson. Thanks Everyman I had no idea and this kind of stuff is cool to hear or read.

On another note, welcome back.

I use almost exclusively Serrated Head Star Drive screws.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Photon Guy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Everyman wrote:When wood was extensively used in yacht and ship building slotted wood screws were an absolute requirement. Boat hulls were typically built from clear cabinet grade mahogany screwed to oak frames. All the care in the construction was identical to fine cabinet making. The wood was treated as a precision material. When a hull was planked the planks were fastened to the frames with bronze screws that were counter bored into the planks. The counter bore was then filled with a plug that was glued in place. Often, after years of use the screws had to be replaced. The planks were fine but the screws would become wasted. So shipwrights would pull the plugs and replace the screws. One problem they always had was that the glue used to hold the plug filled the slot of the screw. It was a simple matter to take a straight bladed screwdriver and ‘chisel’ out the glue from the slot so a larger bit (turned by a brace) could be used to remove the screw. If you use a phillips head screw in this application it would be a nightmare to remove the screws because it is tedious to remove glue from a phillips head screw. The same thing is true of screws that are countersunk, puttied over and painted.

That makes sense, but most of the time you're not going to be using screws where you've got glue or other stuff that can get in the slots so except for specific situations, such as the one you mentioned, I don't see why phillips screws wouldn't be used all the time.
Photon Guy

Next

Return to Construction Cornerstone