• Advertisement

How to organize and not overwhelm folks new to preparing

A place for teachers, professors, and all public and private educators to discuss their methods of teaching preparedness to their students.

Moderator: medic94

How to organize and not overwhelm folks new to preparing

Postby Servelan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:21 pm

3 or 4 times a year, I and and another person interested in preparedness would like to put on short presentations on preparedness topics. Our area is not well served by government agencies of whatever stripe, so we're on our own.

Our audience is primarily suburban, although out past the sidewalks, and fairly well-to-do. I'd like to organize topics to begin with things that are less anxiety-producing and proceed into more serious topics.

Any suggestions on an order in which to present things, and topics that MUST be covered to ensure that folks are at least minimally prepared?
Servelan

Re: How to organize and not overwhelm folks new to preparing

Postby ajax727 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:40 pm

What dangers do y'all face in your area ? If you know what the dangers are then the topics should be framed around them to cover every aspect of preparedness .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Re: How to organize and not overwhelm folks new to preparing

Postby NJMike » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Good topic. My thoughts on a category ordered list would be something like the below, but possibly skipping to more advanced topics depending on the reception of the material.

First, discuss a past local or well known disaster and how people were affected or dealt with it. (use as springboard for other topics below) {edit- yes, agree with what Ajax said}

Present relevant every day preparedness topics.
    Fire Prevention and Safety (start off with statistics on fire related deaths, open ended question on if people are prepared, discuss options, home escape routes, etc.)
    Vehicle safety topics (maintenance, inspection, roadside kit, introduce idea of get home bag)
    Camping topics (camping gear, food/sanitation), Arrange a camping trip.
    Financial security (debt reduction, diversification, savings)
    Basic home security (topics around not making your home or person the target of a robbery)
    Back up of personal and important documents

Feel out people for interest in basic skills, relate back to local disasters. Relate to Red Cross, FEMA, CERT type advice.
    Water
    Fire
    Heat/Cold survival
    First Aid
Feel out people for interest in sustainable lifestyle skills
    Gardening
    Food storage techniques
    Small livestock