• Advertisement

Where to develop medical skills?

Got a suggestion, idea? Tell us about it.

Where to develop medical skills?

Postby XxBiohazard78xX » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:32 am

During a SHTF event, medical skills would of course be useful. However is there anywhere you can learn about first aid and basic medical procedures in a town/city. I know that you can take classes for CPR but learning how to stitch and things alike would be extremely helpful during a SHTF event. I've found sites that teach basic medical skills of sorts but personally I learn better in person. If anyone has any ideas about where to learn things like this then please leave a comment. Thanks
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
XxBiohazard78xX

Re: Where to develop medical skills?

Postby LetsPrep11 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 am

There are tons of videos on youtube, including how to stitch wounds. Check out Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy's channel for lots of good information.
https://www.youtube.com/user/drbonespodcast/videos?disable_polymer=1
LetsPrep11

Postby Blondie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Red Coss still offers basic and advanced first aid training that's still low cost.

The advantage of living in a Metro area is that they still teach in person. Rural loccations, their training is mostly online.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:44 pm

There are some areas that offer wilderness medical first aid and above, and a couple back country skills "schools" that offer something similar. Maybe search for wilderness medical or survival training in your area and you might come up with something.
Stahlrosen

Postby XxBiohazard78xX » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look into those videos. I honestly have barely any medical skills, just very basic things. Also I'll look into the Red Cross and I think there's somewhere here that offers wilderness medical classes. I think I might find some people who have knowledge in first aid and some medical procedures.
XxBiohazard78xX

Postby daaswampman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Start with a Red Cross type First Aid class. Most areas have them and there is nothing better than hands on with real people. Many people have first time jitters when it comes to touching people they don't know well. Nor does a video prepare you for anyone that is not of average build.

If your a guy, do volunteer to be the patient for head dressings! At least for all the buxom gals needing practice. Who says learning can't be fun! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Something I'd wished I'd done when I was younger (and had more time) was join a local volunteer EMT/First Aid squad or even gone to medical school. It would have provided real life experience, with more training and familiarization in using medical supplies/tools than say the Red Cross basic first aid/CPR course, which is still a good start but not the same.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Welcome to APN.

First, get your EMT-Basic certification from your local community college.

Then, get your Wilderness EMT certification from NOLS: https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/co ... -emt-WEMT/
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby XxBiohazard78xX » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:20 pm

NJMike wrote:Something I'd wished I'd done when I was younger (and had more time) was join a local volunteer EMT/First Aid squad or even gone to medical school. It would have provided real life experience, with more training and familiarization in using medical supplies/tools than say the Red Cross basic first aid/CPR course, which is still a good start but not the same.
I don't believe there's one here. I'm not completely sure so I'll keep an eye out. I recently moved back to the town I grew up in but at the town I moved from there was a program to join Search and Rescue which provided some medical skills. There was another program called the Explorer program which was with the local police dept. but they were gonna teach us basic first aid. I didn't get to stay long enough to experience it but it would've been a good lesson on medical skills. In a bit I'm probably gonna take a CPR class just to get a better understanding of it. I think they have other medical classes so I'll check that out soon. Thanks for the input.
XxBiohazard78xX

Postby Hiker72 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 am

Good add-on to go with First Aid is the "Bleeding Control" class -
http://www.bleedingcontrol.org/

Might also want to look at medical classes like that offered by "The Patriot Nurse" -
https://www.thepatriotnurse.com/
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Anonymous

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. - General Colin L. Powell
Hiker72
Ohio State Moderator
Ohio State Moderator

Postby MrDanB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 pm

I would purchase the books: "Where there is no doctor" and "Where there is no dentist". Invaluable info!
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Return to Suggestions