• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

diy bunkers

Got a suggestion, idea? Tell us about it.

diy bunkers

Postby abbey1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 am

is there a site to get ideas on diy underground bunkers ?
abbey1

Re: diy bunkers

Postby tcon22 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 am

I have seen several different examples on youtube, but don't know of a particular site. One of the videos may have a link...?
tcon22

Postby VICTOR » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Here is one that discusses How to build storm shelters. http://www.ls1m.com/How%20to%20Build%20 ... helter.htm
and one for bomb shelters, but not diy, still it provides info.
http://www.hardenedstructures.com/
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
-Plato
VICTOR
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby TaffyJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Search for a FEMA document about shelters for nuclear war/ radioactive fallout. I found one the other day that had detailed instructions for different shelters according to your situation. I'll see if I can find it for you...

Unfortunately, all I have is my phone and a mobile link won't post properly on here. Do a forum search, because I think Readymom has good info on this topic.
Shrug
TaffyJ
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Art T » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Retired Army Engineer.... before you undertake any type of construction, especially an underground structure. I was in a bunker that collapsed under its own weight. As we are planning our new BOL... we will be building part of it under ground. Its our first phase of the compound. We are using 20 foot shipping containers as the main structure of the underground portion for their strength and durability.

You have to think this way. You build undergound for the survivability aspect.... but if it collapses on you... you probably won't survive it.
Art T

Postby namwal » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Cheapest, easiest and strongest for the money I've seen is companies that make bunkers out of giant metal culvert pipes. You could probably do it yourself if some one would sell you the pipe in a quantity of one.

This is what I plan eventually. More for a root cellar to keep my preps cool in a grid down Texas heat situation than an actual live in shelter.

I looked into the shipping container as well but was cautioned that it was only designed to support weight on the corners for stacking but not handle heavy earth all around. Saw a cargo container bunker installation on YouTube but it required so much reinforcement concrete to make it structurally sound that the price was likely very high.

Here is one link, there was one out of California featured in storage wars the Barry Weiss visited, but I can't find that website any more.

http://utahsheltersystems.com/index.php
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 pm

order soil bags properly laid they will hold up alot
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby bane5150 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:59 am

I might hide in a bunker or cave for a very short period of time. Just long enough to let the danger pass. other than that I dont like them. a cave is a grave.
Vincit Qui Patitur (He who endures conquers)
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” ― Charles Darwin

P!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
bane5150
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby namwal » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:26 am

bane5150 wrote:I might hide in a bunker or cave for a very short period of time. Just long enough to let the danger pass. other than that I dont like them. a cave is a grave.

I tend to agree, with the entire planet at your disposal why limit yourself to a small dark tomb with easily sabotaged air vents. As I mentioned I would like one more for food storage.
"World oil production can probably keep going up for another 6 or 8 years. But some time in the 1980s it can’t go up much more. Demand will overtake production."-jimmy carter 1977

"Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born"-Newsweek 1970

"civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind,”-George Wald 1970.
namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby 500CID » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Bury a renovation dumpster... all of those fancy buried bunkers all look like garbage cans, they are made the same way too.
500CID

Postby namwal » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 pm

namwal wrote:Cheapest, easiest and strongest for the money I've seen is companies that make bunkers out of giant metal culvert pipes. You could probably do it yourself if some one would sell you the pipe in a quantity of one.

This is what I plan eventually. More for a root cellar to keep my preps cool in a grid down Texas heat situation than an actual live in shelter.

I looked into the shipping container as well but was cautioned that it was only designed to support weight on the corners for stacking but not handle heavy earth all around. Saw a cargo container bunker installation on YouTube but it required so much reinforcement concrete to make it structurally sound that the price was likely very high.

Here is one link, there was one out of California featured in storage wars the Barry Weiss visited, but I can't find that website any more.

http://utahsheltersystems.com/index.php

The one I forgot was Atlas Survival Shelters. The have a web site and some YouTube vids. Seems someone with the equipment could make one like this. If any one sells the culvert pipe around here, I'll buy one!

namwal
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Return to Suggestions