• Advertisement

Suggestions?

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Suggestions?

Postby infernoflower » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:51 am

There are a lot of great ideas here! How about taking the items you already have for her and turning it in to a scavenger hunt or Geo-cache kind of game? Hide her gifts and give her clues.

As far as tangible gifts go, I can recommend the Biolite BaseCamp stove. It's a little pricey but performs as advertised, uses shockingly little fuel, and you can charge whatever gadgets you might have via the thermoelectric generator.
http://www.biolitestove.com/products/biolite-basecamp
infernoflower
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:11 am

infernoflower wrote:There are a lot of great ideas here! How about taking the items you already have for her and turning it in to a scavenger hunt or Geo-cache kind of game? Hide her gifts and give her clues.

As far as tangible gifts go, I can recommend the Biolite BaseCamp stove. It's a little pricey but performs as advertised, uses shockingly little fuel, and you can charge whatever gadgets you might have via the thermoelectric generator.
http://www.biolitestove.com/products/biolite-basecamp

Oh, the scavenger hunts are fun! We do them for Easter. We hide little things or "coupons" for each other (back rubs, dinner, new jacket of their choice, etc.) in the eggs, then spread them out in 20ac or so and give each other coordinates to find their eggs. I've even used camo eggs :evil:
Stahlrosen

Postby Permafrost » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have it narrowed down to a few things. A stainless featherlite rifle, nice set if fillet & skinning knives, a new fishing net, a mosquito magnet, and a portable propane hot water shower.

P.S.
Fussy,
I love the idea and we are actually in the marker for a new dog to go with our other two. The M'Loot Malamute breeder we know will not have a litter until after the first of the year. We have also been looking at Shiloh Shepherds for their size, intelligence, and thick coat.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Shepherds are a lot smarter than the average sled-type dog, by far. They're also smarter than many humans (more by the day!). WARNING: You need to give them jobs to do, and keep them active. If you don't, they will find their own "jobs", and the chances are poor that you will appreciate what they find to do.

I've only met one Shiloh (briefly), but I've heard that they can have some health problems, like hip dysplasia, Degenerative Disk Disease and other spinal conditions, Osteochondritis (inflammation of cartilage and joints), temporary 'growing pains' affecting the long bones, digestive issues, chronic ear infection, and bloat. And since they've been bred from German Shepherds, possibly thyroid issues.

Hip dysplasia being such an issue these days, ask your possible source if both parents have been certified clear by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), maybe elbows, too. If they haven't been, just say thank you and leave. There are poor breeders in every breed.

I haven't heard about cancer being an issue, like the Belgian breeds. I've had three Belgians, and all ended with cancer. GRRRRRRRR!
FussyOldHen

Postby Permafrost » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:50 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:Shepherds are a lot smarter than the average sled-type dog, by far. They're also smarter than many humans (more by the day!). WARNING: You need to give them jobs to do, and keep them active. If you don't, they will find their own "jobs", and the chances are poor that you will appreciate what they find to do.

I know what you mean. When we got the last puppy our older German Shepherd was fine with it until the puppy got older and tried to take her jobs away. They still have issues with dividing work but have come to a understanding, they take turns doing rounds and checking the doors, but still fight over who will be the first out of the door to investigate a noise in the yard. Now that we are harness training the younger GSD to haul firewood it has gotten a little better because the older one has no desire to haul anything with a harness.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Senah » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:51 pm

My husband knows I don't like jewelry and so he got me a 7mm 08 rifle instead and I was happy as a clam. Another option to keep in mind if she likes foraging is the set of books about foraging by Samuel Thayer (Forager's Harvest, etc.). They are really great.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Wood working books, New scope for her rifle, Soap stone foot warmer, etc.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Finally!!!! A survival situation where I can best Perma. I know EXACTLY what to get my wife so she won't kill me. Whoooo Hooo!!! :D
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby broden » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 pm

RayMac1963 wrote: I know EXACTLY what to get my wife so she won't kill me.

famous last words
broden

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:46 pm

:floppytongue: Hush Broden... I got this one.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

RayMac1963

Postby broden » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:48 pm

RayMac1963 wrote::floppytongue: Hush Broden... I got this one.

i'm just sayin
that's alotta words to fit on your tombstone
broden

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:01 pm

I've dodged that bullet for 22 years. I'm good at it now.

RayMac1963

Postby Permafrost » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 am

RayMac1963 wrote:Finally!!!! A survival situation where I can best Perma. I know EXACTLY what to get my wife so she won't kill me. Whoooo Hooo!!! :D

Ray,
You have a much higher probability of survival in a urban setting than I do, that is a fact. I may know bears & wolves & living off the land but I have no clue about people or cities/suburbs.

And

Those are some big words for a guy who didn't pony up a suggestion. At least I remembered this year, I even remembered way in advance and made sure be in town. :clap: There are not that many women who would put up with me, especially as much as I am away from town.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:01 am

You remembered Buddy. and like GI Joe says, "knowing is half the battle". I only know what MY wife would want, and honestly those ideas would be useless to you. But, off your list, i put the propane shower first. I like the dog, but if you can't get it by then, it won't work. The rifle and knives are both good ideas, so thats a coin flip but i lean towards the knives. ME? I could just go to the jewelry store and get a couple of new Pandora charms and I'm a hero...

RayMac1963

Postby Odin Gray » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Maybe slightly off topic, but (the elephant in the room)...

does she have a sister who is single?
Odin Gray

Previous

Return to Ladies Section