• Advertisement

Suggestions?

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Suggestions?

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:16 pm

I am not normally a poster in the ladies section, I hope this is allowed, I need a little help.

My wife has a birthday coming up in a little over a month, and I need some ideas. She does not wear jewelry so that is out. She has about every woodworking tool known to man for her workshop. Her artic gear is in good shape so I can't just get her a new pair of bunny boots. Her car is newer (at least compared to the repurposed impound auction junkers I drive) and she does not what a different one. Her snowmachine is in decent shape so no luck there. Her snowshoes are in good repair. She already has a removable seat for the outhouse for winter. Her sleeping bag is in good shape.

I need some suggestions. I did get her a MRS water filter and some new arrows/broad heads for her bow, but I want to get her something really nice besides just a few little things. I was thinking of getting her a stainless steel feather light rifle but I am not sure, she likes the one she has but it is old.

Are there any things that the ladies out there really like in the prepper/survival realm that you would recommend? Some people are just hard to buy for, my life would be easier if she just wanted jewelry.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Suggestions?

Postby catfeet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Does she cook? If so, cast iron is always good. Personally, I'm looking at the Old Mountain 5 quart skillet for xmas.

An All-American pressure cooker is always a treat.

A grain mill?

A gift certificate to Amazon?

HTH...
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Unfortunately she does not do much cooking. We share the responsibility but neither of us actually likes it. Generally I do all the canning & pickling.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Shelving units for storage?

Not knowing her likes and dislikes it's hard to predict.

Does she sew?
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Shelving might be a possibility, maybe the big heavy ones like they have at Sam's Club or Costco.

Now that I think about it she kinda acts like a dude, she just has all the fun lady parts. Works 40 to 80 hours a week in the construction industry. Goes out to the cabin whenever she can get away. Prefers to be outdoors, hence the already purchased arrows & broad heads. Enjoys remodeling houses & woodworking as a hobby. Likes survivalist actives like building shelters & foraging wild edibles. Enjoys winter camping & sleeping in snow shelters. Fishing, with a net, she can't stand using a rod & reel because it is not efficient enough to fill the freezer. Typical stuff Alaskan women like.

I know women look at prepping and survival differently than men, I was hoping that there might have been things women have gotten for prepping/hunting/survival that they liked, something their husbands would never have thought of.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 pm

As Catfeet said, without knowing your wife it's hard to guess. It sounds like she likes practical things, but also sounds like you are looking for more personal things. You said she's not into jewelry, but how about other decoration like barretts or hair picks made of carved antler or bone or leather (if she has long hair), or bed socks or slippers that can be warmed up in the microwave. Is there a woodworking project that requires special wood that she wouldn't get for herself? I can't think of an example, but my mom was a wood carver and was always looking for odd bits and colors of wood. Her last project was with olive wood. (It was hideous...don't get olive wood.)

Aunt Bee

P.S. I recently saw an ad for a "foraging apron" with pockets of various sizes. Some were lined with vinyl (?) in case the foraged items were squishy. A couple were net bags.
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:56 pm

The heavy shelving was what I was thinking. Got some last year for dh's shop. It's good stuff... And, the other stuff? :-) Not a problem. Knowing likes it's a lot easier...
Does she have a GOOD net or fish trap?
Does she have a nice book about foraging wild Alaskan edibles?
A good 4 seasons tent?
A collapsible tent stove? (and the tent to put it in?)
A good camera for taking pictures of wildlife and plants?
A good backbasket for carrying it in? (Like an adirondack pack)
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Oh my Aunt Bee! My best spatuala is Olive wood! I love the stuff!
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:14 pm

You really can't go wrong with a with a new rifle! :D
I got a chainsaw for my birthday :clap: Love it!
Really nice yard cart I can even hook the horse to for our anniversary.
Hubby is such a romantic :)
Hopefully a new rabbit cage bank for Christmas.

Maybe if she fishes / hunts a nice set of knives? (skinning, boning and the like)
Some cabinet organizers? They make all kinds of nifty cabinet inserts, some on rollers that pull out.
Stahlrosen

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Is there a way to get her some specialty woods that he could carve or work with? -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:34 pm

How's her knife supply? Sounds like she would use a knife a lot.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby broden » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 pm

my wife and i rarely really want something

so we often gift each other experiences.

like a special trip somewhere or a hot air balloon ride or a special show or something along those lines

everyone has different things they like to do or dream of trying or whatever

even classes in something or just about anything
broden

Postby Blondie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:45 am

What about some fragrant cedar wood to build a blanket chest for the bedroom/end of the bed where you can sit and take off those slippers?

She could carve a personalized top with names, special dates or "Always Kiss Me Goodnight". Practical and romantic at the same time.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby kappydell » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:54 pm

electronic game caller? set of good skinning knives? get her knives all sharpened for her?
reloading equipment in her caliber of choice? or maybe a new reloading tool she does not have yet?
sheepskin inserts for her slippers at home? a nice new warm robe (does she wear them)?
a magazine subscription (or several) in areas she is interested in? Fur, Fish & Game is one of my faves. The Backwoodsman is also excellent.
some ultra exotic meat for the grill? Something exotic -- octopus, hippo steaks, and the like
an adventure/experience: rappelling lessons, hot air balloon (not my cuppa tea but some like it), flying lessons, entry into a demolition derby and a junker to drive in one (now THAT is fun!), sniper school, bushcraft certification (you get the idea)
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:47 am

How about a new puppy? A Malamute freighter or a Siberian speedster! She doesn't sound like the Poodle or Pom type...

OTOH, ask her. She still might surprise you after all these years!
FussyOldHen

Next

Return to Ladies Section