• Advertisement

Tower Garden

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Tower Garden

Postby livermush_man » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 am

Does anyone have one of these, or know how much they produce?

I went to a home and garden show this weekend, and they are selling for about $500.

We do buy lots of organic veggies and fruits from the store so this could help lower the cost plus provide food incase SHTF.

Will this produce enough food to make it worth my time and lower my cost of grocery bill?

https://www.towergarden.com/
livermush_man

Re: Tower Garden

Postby divers351 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 am

I looked at these. Way overpriced for what you get. Also, vertical means one side will always be in the shade. You can build your own horizontal type hydroponic system for much cheaper. Google vertical earth gardens for some ideas.
divers351

Postby livermush_man » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks, I guess that would be an issue depending on the placement of the tower. In my case it would be an issue.
livermush_man

Postby LackyPrepper1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 am

LackyPrepper1

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:51 am

Yep! lol, for $500 we'd make you two of them. Seriously though, vertical gardening is a big space saver and a good idea in general. If you can make one (or even buy an expensive one) I think you'll like it. I'm gearing up to start planing mine again in the next couple weeks.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby divers351 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am

If you send me your email address, I would be more than happy to send along some pictures of the hydroponic systems I have built.
divers351

Postby livermush_man » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm

I am in a 3rd floor apartment for the next 5 months. I changed jobs about 6 months ago and had to move quick.

I am looking for a way to grow without land and this looks like the way to go. We do have a 10x8 balcony that I can fit something on.

I will be building my own thanks to you guys.
livermush_man

Postby Hunter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 pm

In small areas and apartments with a balcony something like this could give you a little bit of fresh stuff. I would put it on wheels so that it could be turned every couple of days to best rotate the sun around it. I would stay with fast growing greens as the main crops so that it could be kept growing all season if out side. plant it so that crops are ready at different times would keep you in lettuce or greens all summer. a lot of crops like that only take 30 to 45 day to harvest so each port could be planted a few times in most growing areas. I can also see using one in front of a large glass door in the winter to grow herbs and greens indoors in the winter.
Hunter

Postby HighDesertHawk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Looks like expensive barrel gardening. Which you can do your self for under $50.00 bucks. http://youtu.be/lMQ-Wvjs5ck

Will be doing My own video how make your own barrel next month. I currently pay $35 for a 55 gal blue plastic barrel, $15 for a 20 gal barrel.

Also in the works is a high desert greenhouse.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby TimWhite » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 pm

livermush_man wrote:Does anyone have one of these, or know how much they produce?

I went to a home and garden show this weekend, and they are selling for about $500.

We do buy lots of organic veggies and fruits from the store so this could help lower the cost plus provide food incase SHTF.

Will this produce enough food to make it worth my time and lower my cost of grocery bill?

https://www.towergarden.com/

Looks to me like the one shown in your link would be quite easy to make using PVC pipe
"We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

"Pride and arrogance are a lethal combination and have brought about the downfall of many powerful men". Charlie Daniels
TimWhite
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby DeeL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Tower Garden's are FANTASTIC. We've owned three for three and a half years now, before NSA began manufacturing them. Produce grows much quicker, fewer pests, easier, sustainable and healthier because of the Tower Tonic. As it automatically waters you don't have to worry about forgetting while you are out at work. Inside there is a small, low wattage submersible pump that can be easily run by solar to get completely off the grid. Another advantage of a Tower Garden over other manufactured or homemade systems is the plastic it is made from. PVC and Styrofoam leech chemicals. These end up in the water and then in your food. You wouldn't microwave a Styrofoam cup of coffee would you so why grow you food it in?

http://www.livingtowers.com is a great resource and shows you what can be done both in a backyard and on a larger scale with the Tower Garden technology. They wrote a fantastic blog post last week, "What is tower Garden?". You can read it here. http://blog.livingtowers.com/2013/02/so-what-is-tower-garden-anyway.html
DeeL

Postby livermush_man » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 pm

I had a few questions about that. Everyone is saying make your own, and I would love to, and in fact I might start that this weekend, BUT.....

I do see some health issues with using normal PVC from Lowes or somewhere. Can you buy food grade PVC pipe from some where?
livermush_man

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm

PVC pipe is used for potable water everyday all over the world. It should be safe to plant things in. When on fire, PVC fumes are dangerous, so don't light it on fire, otherwise you'll prolly die from something else way sooner in life ;)

Fake Edit: I think that guy above may have some interest in that particular product.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Postby DeeL » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Have you seen the movie Blue Vinyl on the dangers of PVC? It's well worth a watch! :shock:
DeeL

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm

DeeL wrote:Have you seen the movie Blue Vinyl on the dangers of PVC? It's well worth a watch! :shock:

No, I haven’t. And I don’t doubt that it says PVC is terrible. I do know that there is a huge market for fear and an equally huge segment of society ready to step and be fleeced by the purveyors of doom and gloom. People of course are welcome to be frightened of anything they like. I choose not to be.

As to PVC, it is used extensively in water treatment facilities that supply water to most cities. It is used in reverse osmosis systems that make purified bottled water, it’s used in water softeners, etc. If it were a serious danger I suspect it would be a well known fact.

..... Ya know, I just went and watched the Youtube preview of Blue Vinyl ( ‘cause I’m not gonna pay $2.99). If I’d of known in the beginning that it was a “Sundance Documentary” I would have just laughed and not even replied.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Next

Return to Gardening