• Advertisement

Diatamaceous Earth

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Diatamaceous Earth

Postby angie_nrs » Sun May 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Today I spent a bit of time researching DE. Cin mentioned that she uses it in her rice before storing it to prevent bugs. I was intrigued since I really had no idea what DE was. After doing some research, I bought some and am hoping to use it on some tent worm nests that are forming in some of our trees. I have also had ant problems in our generator and have not found a good solution to eliminating them. Hopefully this will do the trick as it was very expensive to replace the motherboard and I don't want to do that again! I will also use some DE around the house to cut down on ants, spiders, and earwigs. I love the idea that is is non-toxic (and even beneficial) to humans and pets, but I will still use it sparingly outdoors since it is toxic to bees. I like the idea that i could use it on our dogs for pest control since I don't use nor do I trust pet meds. I think having the knowledge to use natural alternatives to pest problems is valuable and could vastly increase heath and comfort levels regardless if SHTF or not. I still have some more research to do but I am glad to have learned about this.

Do any of you use DE? Please share.....
angie_nrs

Re: Diatamaceous Earth

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 am

I dust it on the dog for flea control but you need to watch out for drying of the skin if you do too many applications.

I would not call it harmless though....you do need gloves to apply it and any dust inhaled is no bueno for you or the pets...really bad in the lungs.
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cin » Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes, wear a mask if you're puffing it around anywhere - I don't let Husband nearby when I'm dealing with it, because he has mild asthma.

That said, make sure you get FOOD-GRADE DE. Even though I rinse my rice, I don't always rinse other stuff.

I use about 1/4 of a cup per 5 gallon bucket. I don't put it all in at once, I layer it, and then still give the bucket a good stir, too. It helps if you have an old spice shaker, dump it in the bottle, and then shake some DE as you pour the rice/wheat/oatmeal, etc.
Cin

Postby angie_nrs » Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Good points Cin and Driven! I read an article stating that when you take DE internally, you should make sure you take it with plenty of water and stay hydrated as it does have a drying effect. I was surprised at the benefits of taking it internally like liver detox, joint health, antiviral, etc. but still more research to do....

From what I have gathered so far the dangers of inhalation are mostly for non-food grade DE. Still, since I typically err on the side of caution, I will wear a mask and gloves when using it to take care of bugs.
angie_nrs

Postby jean11 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Several months ago I was trying to plant a new vege garden for the summer, but as the new plants emerged from seed, their little leaves disappeared. Tried different insect powders, etc., nothing helped. I'd heard about DE so went to a pool supply business and bought 25 lbs. Folks that have pools use it in their filters, I believe. I applied it liberally with a small cup where needed, but it did not help much at all. So I thought maybe it's time to do some research on this. Well, I found out I bought the wrong kind, and the stuff I bought was very dangerous. It is processed differently. I wondered at the time when I was applying it why it felt like crushed glass whenever it touched my skin. It burned for days. I'd read on line that inhaling it can cause a lung disease. The men who mined it decades ago suffered from this. Well, long story short I stopped using it. Just don't buy it from a pool supply business, as its the wrong DE.
jean11

Postby NJMike » Tue May 16, 2017 10:25 am

Yes. Good stuff.

I've used the food grade DE in chicken feed I'd stored long term, and with some other bulk food items.

Tried it once in the garden as a small ring in the soil around some plants. I figured on the ground that wouldn't mess with the bees as much, but might keep pests off.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 pm

jean11 wrote:Several months ago I was trying to plant a new vege garden for the summer, but as the new plants emerged from seed, their little leaves disappeared. Tried different insect powders, etc., nothing helped. I'd heard about DE so went to a pool supply business and bought 25 lbs. Folks that have pools use it in their filters, I believe. I applied it liberally with a small cup where needed, but it did not help much at all. So I thought maybe it's time to do some research on this. Well, I found out I bought the wrong kind, and the stuff I bought was very dangerous. It is processed differently. I wondered at the time when I was applying it why it felt like crushed glass whenever it touched my skin. It burned for days. I'd read on line that inhaling it can cause a lung disease. The men who mined it decades ago suffered from this. Well, long story short I stopped using it. Just don't buy it from a pool supply business, as its the wrong DE.

Tractor Supply.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby IceFire » Fri May 19, 2017 10:43 pm

I buy mine from the feed store (put it in the animals' feed as a dewormer.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to First Aid & Medicine