• Advertisement

American Red Cross: LEARN!

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Re: American Red Cross: LEARN!

Postby kellyjo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 am

First aid learning is quite important and useful as it help to save life. During sudden mishaps, accidents, floods,fire, quake, the technique and knowledge really helps lives not only in America but also in other several countries. It is primary knowledge about how we can save individual from becoming so serious and before reaching to emergency ward of a clinic or to a doctor.
First of all respiration and bleeding are treated. For this purpose First Aid Kit is required to give primary treatment to person facing any health issue.
kellyjo

Postby Lockjaw » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:09 pm

I am amazed at how people tend to freak out about any injury. Even people who you would think should have some knowledge.

My SIL and family basically had no idea how to treat one of their dogs with heat stroke. I was like, you need to pour water on him. She said, I put him in the lake. I was like the lake is 95 degrees, and its over 100 outside, you need to put cold water on him with a hose, get his fur wet and get the water down on his skin where it will cool him off.

They live on a farm and I am the "city" boy. :rofl:
Lockjaw

Postby arkieready » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:29 am

Besides Red Cross and CERT, I found another resource. Medical reserve corps. www.medicalreservecorps.gov. They offer training also. Free
The more you learn and exposed to this kind of info, the better your chances of doing what needs done to help yourself, your loved ones, etc.
we pay for these services whether or not we use them. Let's utilize these resources and make the governments money work for us.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Naughty n Nice » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:56 am

Marica wrote:Learn. A well stocked first-aid or emergency preparedness kit does us no good if we don't know what to actually do in an emergency. The American Red Cross offers classes in just about everything from basic first aid to CPR to babysitting emergencies. All the food in the world isn't going to do you any good if you can't dislodge that piece of banana from your daughter's windpipe.

Home page: http://www.redcross.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Get trained at your local chapter: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/ ... mt=default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

I never did any of that before, but I did stay at a Holiday INN last night!
We do it nice because we do it twice...
Naughty n Nice

Postby cbass1017 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 pm

It also would be a good idea to get some sort of training for your family members as well. Specially children! See you can have all of the training in the world, but what would happen if you were the one who was injured?

The reason I bring this up is because I am a cubscout den leader and just recently had my boys earn their "readyman" pin. This is the chapter all about first aid. You would not believe some of the incorrect answers I was getting from these kids about what to do in certain situations!

Just something to think about...
cbass1017

Postby Jim Evans » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 pm

This thread is really good. I would love to learn these. Spending 20-30 days in 1year is not a big deal I think. Moreover, I agree with cbass that teaching such things to children is very very necessary.
Jim Evans

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat May 07, 2016 10:18 pm

W narrowly averted a serious injury today.

My husband was sawing small trees on an embankment, the tree trunk kicked back and pushed
the chain saw into his knee. Lucky for the safety mechanism that turns it off quickly. It cut
his pants and into his leg, but thankfully did not go into the bone or knee cap or so he says.
I wanted him to go get some stitches but he wouldn't. We are current on our tetanus shots.We had peroxide to clean it with after he came home and washed good. I have a supply of all kinds of first aid stuff so we were good to go. But man was he lucky. I think I too could use some training. It could save a life.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby dademoss » Sun May 08, 2016 7:56 am

Another alternative is to volunteer with your areas Medical Reserve Corp: https://www.medicalreservecorps.gov/HomePage

In my area, they hold an annual "summit" and have a variety of topics/seminars to take part in, including basic first aid and CPR/AED training.

You do not have to have medical training, they need all kinds of different skills.
dademoss
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sun May 08, 2016 9:55 am

In Montana, there are frequent Red Cross first aid courses of all levels offered in virtually every County in the State (56 of them). Emt courses are are usually available in Many areas and some are sponsored my Hospitals, Fire Departments, Community Colleges, State Colleges and perhaps a few other Entities and Orgs. as well. We also have Volunteer Search and Rescue Units which are run by local Sheriff's Departments. To be a member of a Search and Rescue Unit requires much more than just First Aid and/or EMT training. Many a lost or injured or stranded Hunter, or camper, or Hiker, or Mountain Climber or people whose small plane crashed have been rescued and saved in Montana. Some after being "out there" and Missing or failed to return home on time for days, or some even more than a week. Some over the years were not found in time. I heard stories and saw news reports all my life about these incidents as I studied survival skills from childhood for the rest of my life. A first aid knowledge once saved the life of a friend of mine who was a logger. His chain saw kicked back and the chain tore into his thigh and laid it wide open to the bone about 6" long. He bled heavily and would have bled to death without a tourniquet. The nearest Hospital was at least 20-30 miles away. He was weak upon arrival there, and very lucky that a coworker had known what to do to close the wound tightly and treat for shock and then some skillful and speedy driving on the way out of the Mountains and to the Hosp. It was a horrible wound that took a long time to heal. It was nothing like a smooth blade cut from a knife. It required 110 stitches to close. He was on crutches, laid up and off work for months. The employer had worker's comp. Coverage for Medical and being out of work due to the injury. First aid training is a requirement in several occupations in Montana. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby AbenakiPrepper » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 pm

ARC also has/did have classes on Animal First Aid - It also is a good class to take.
AbenakiPrepper

Previous

Return to First Aid & Medicine