New Forum Rules
Please Read

Potassium Iodide Dosing

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Potassium Iodide Dosing

Postby BigdogMD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Aloha Y'all,

I have read about the need for potassium in the event of nuclear emergency. After a little research I found this from the CDC website (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp) and wanted to share in case you weren't too sure about the various doses that are available out there. Living on Oahu and being in some proximity to Pearl Harbor and in light of the recent posturing by that lunatic in North Korea has me concerned. Anyways, here's the info:

How is KI (potassium iodide) given?
The FDA has approved two different forms of KI (potassium iodide), tablets and liquid, that people can take by mouth after a radiation emergency involving radioactive iodine.

Tablets come in two strengths, 130 milligram (mg) and 65 mg. The tablets have lines on them so that they may be cut into smaller pieces for lower doses.

For the oral liquid solution, each milliliter (mL) contains 65 mg of KI (potassium iodide).

According to the FDA, the following doses are appropriate to take after internal contamination with (or likely internal contamination with) radioactive iodine:

* Newborns from birth to 1 month of age should be given 16 mg (¼ of a 65 mg tablet or ¼ mL of solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing newborn infants.

* Infants and children between 1 month and 3 years of age should take 32 mg (½ of a 65 mg tablet OR ½ mL of solution). This dose is for both nursing and non-nursing infants and children.

* Children between 3 and 18 years of age should take 65 mg (one 65 mg tablet OR 1 mL of solution). Children who are adult size (greater than or equal to 150 pounds) should take the full adult dose, regardless of their age.

* Adults should take 130 mg (one 130 mg tablet OR two 65 mg tablets OR two mL of solution).

* Women who are breastfeeding should take the adult dose of 130 mg.

Hope this is helpful. Prep on!
BigdogMD
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Re: Potassium Iodide Dosing

Postby Everyman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:53 pm

deleted by author
You are free to use or republish anything I have written here provided that your intent is to freely disseminate information that will help people. Attributions to Everyman appreciated.

From the most famous of the Medieval Morality Plays: And sayth one of the Virtues “Everyman I will go with thee to meet thy fate, I will attend thee when there is want; I am the Virtue of Knowledge.”

If voting worked it would be illegal.
Everyman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby BigdogMD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Hey Everyman,

I have not heard of the tincture being used, but as a surgeon I have to say that I must have been exposed to a ton of that stuff because it used to be all we used to scrub prior to surgery. Now they have this new stuff, non-iodine based. The only critique of those studies would be the age of the studies, done approximately 30 years ago. I tried to do a more recent literature search but didn't come up with much.

I like your motto, here's another you may appreciate. "IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT INFORMED.". Take care Bud.
BigdogMD
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Postby sandlapper3 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm

We have 3 in the family with hypothyroidism. They take synthroid. I have been told they should limit iodine intake. What is recommended in these cases? I haven't seen this mentioned in articles.

Thanks.
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Rgearhead » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 pm

thanks for the link Big dog, I printed it off to store with my Iodide...
Rgearhead

Postby DesertDweller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:06 am

Mahalo for this information! Excellent post, please keep them coming! :clap:
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Soapy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:27 am

Soapy

Postby BigdogMD » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:46 am

Sandlapper,

I'm sorry, that level of endocrinology is over and above my pay grade. There are a ton of people out there with both hypo- and hyper- thyroidism. I hope that there is a prepper out there who happens to be an endocrinologist who can chime in. However, having dealt with endocrinologists before, I sincerely doubt that the animal exists. Good luck to you and your ohana (family in Hawaiian). Take care and prep on.
BigdogMD
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Postby sandlapper3 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks,Bigdog.
sandlapper3

Postby radman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:55 pm

If you're near a nuclear accident, (within 50 miles) take your pills as required. Do not wait untill the "authorities" tell you to as it will be too late at that point. They do not want to alarm people as to the severity and cause panic. Example are 3 mile island, Chernobyl, and Fukishima. I worked in the nuclear industry for 37 years and thats my opinoion after reading numerous reports regarding the above listed emergencies.
radman

Postby AuntBee » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:19 pm

sandlapper3 wrote:We have 3 in the family with hypothyroidism. They take synthroid. I have been told they should limit iodine intake. What is recommended in these cases? I haven't seen this mentioned in articles.

Thanks.

Just an opinion here. I think addressing nuclear contamination trumps other medical concerns or possible medication conflicts. I have hypothyroidism and think my thyroid can take a few knocks for a short period of time while I did my best to get away from the location.

Aunt Bee
Still looking for good herbal alternatives to Synthroid

PS: thank you for posting the dosage info, BigDog!
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby jean11 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:03 pm

This is good information to know, but I have one question. Do we only need one dose? Or do we need to take the pills for a series of days??
jean11

Postby DrBones » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi all,

Here is the information you're asking for, taken from our book #The Survival Medicine Handbook", available at amazon.com and our website (www.doomandbloom.net)....

Potassium Iodide (known by the chemical symbol KI) is a 130 mg tablet (sometimes comes as 65 mg) that prevents radioactive Iodine from damaging the specific organ that it targets, the thyroid gland. Radioactive Iodine is the most common component in fallout that is not in the immediate area of the nuclear event.

Taking KI 30 minutes to 24 hours prior to a radiation exposure will prevent the eventual epidemic of thyroid cancer that will result if no treatment is given. Radiation from the 1986 Chernobyl disaster has accounted for more than 4,000 cases of thyroid cancer so far, mostly in children and adolescents. More are expected in the coming years.

Although there is a small amount of KI in ordinary iodized salt, not enough is present to confer any protection by ingesting it. It would take 250 teaspoons of household iodized salt to equal one Potassium Iodide tablet!

If radiation exposure is expected, take the 130mg KI tablet once a day for 7-10 days, or longer if prolonged or multiple exposures are expected. Children should take 1/2 doses (65 mg). The dosing in the previous post by bigdogMD for infants and toddlers is correct. It is also recommended to consider 1/2 tablet for large dogs, and 1/4 tablet for small dogs and cats. The largest commercial retailer for KI tablets is KI4U.com.

Don’t depend on supplies of the drug to be available after a nuclear event. Even the federal government will have little KI in reserve to give to the general population. In recent power plant meltdowns, there was little or no Potassium Iodide to be found anywhere for purchase. If you have a limited supply, it is important to know that children are the most likely to develop thyroid cancer after an exposure and should be treated first.

If you find yourself without a supply, consider this alternative: 2% tincture of Iodine solution (brand name Betadine). "Paint" 8 ml of Betadine on the abdomen or forearm 2-12 hours prior to a radiation exposure and re-apply daily. Enough should be absorbed through the skin to give protection against radioactive Iodine in fallout.

Apply 4 ml. on children 3 and older (but under 150 lbs. or 70 kg.). Toddlers should have 2ml painted on, and infants 1 ml. This strategy should also work on animals. If you don't have a way to measure in ml, remember that a standard teaspoon is about 5 milliliters. Discontinue the daily treatment after 3 days or when Radioiodine levels have fallen to safer levels.

Be aware that those who are allergic to seafood will probably be allergic to Iodine. Adverse reactions may also occur if you take medications such as diuretics and Lithium.. It is also important to note that you cannot drink Betadine, as it is poisonous if ingested.

Joe Alton, M.D., aka Dr. Bones
DrBones
Medical Professional
Medical Professional

Postby LeeLynn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Black walnut hulls can be used as a tincture. It was used externally during Chernobyl.
LeeLynn

Postby anita » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Dr. Bones,

My 14-year-old son is allergic to seafood. Can he take the KI tablets? If not, is there some appropriate substitute?

I have the tablets for my whole family, but hadn't noticed that those allergic to seafood can't take them.

thank you.
anita

Next

Return to First Aid & Medicine