• Advertisement
Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Unlikely sources of antibiotics

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Postby iowaone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:40 pm

The following is an article written and researched by me. Anyone may place it on any forum or print it, as long as they leave it in its entirety and give credit to me for its writing. That includes the link I placed at the top of the article. So here it is:

By Midwestsurvivor

www.midwestsurvivors.com

***IMPORTANT--FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY***

While searching the internet today, I came across some information that I found interesting. Antibiotics used in aquariums are human grade and can be bought over the counter. Apparently, fish are sensitive to impurities and as such their antibiotics must be pure.Here is a list of products and links where they can be purchased . Do I suggest you take them now ? NO ! but if SHTF some antibiotics are better than none.Here is a list of products and the links where they are available.

* FISH-MOX (amoxicillin 250mg)
* FISH_MOX FORTE (amoxicillin 500mg)
* FISH-CILLIN (ampicillin 250mg)
* FISH-FLEX Keflex 250mg)
* FISH-FLEX FORTE (Keflex 500mg)
* FISH-ZOLE (metronidazole 250mg)
* FISH-PEN (penicillin 250mg)
* FISH-PEN FORTE (penicillin 500mg)
* FISH-CYCLINE (tetracycline 250mg)

These medications are usually available in bottles of 100 tablets for much less than the same prescription medication at the pharmacy. The dosages are similar to that used in humans, and are taken two to four times a day, depending on the drug. Of course, anyone could be allergic to one or another of these antibiotics, but not all of them. (Note that there is a 10% cross-reactivity between "-cillin" drugs and Keflex, meaning that, if you are allergic to Penicillin, you could also be allergic to Keflex). FISH-ZOLE is an antibiotic that also kills some protozoa that cause dysentery.

FISH-MOX - http://www.allivet.com/Fish-Mox-p/26807.htmFISH_MOX

FISH MOX FORTE - http://thomasvetdrug.com/product_info.p ... orte-100ct

FISH-CILLIN - http://www.vetdepot.com/Fish-Cillin-Amp ... sules.html

FISH-FLEX - http://www.dog.com/item/fish-flex-250mg/132107/

FISH-FLEX FORTE - http://www.healthypets.com/fishflexforte1.html

I have, after many hours of research, discovered which antibiotics are in various over the counter (OTC) products.

Fish Cillin: Ampicillin 250mg
Fish Cycline: Tetracycline 250mg
Fish Cycline Forte: Tetracycline 500mg
Fish Flex: Cephalexin Monohydrate 250mg
Fish Flex Forte: Cephalexin 500mg
Fish Fungus: Ketoconazole 200mg
Fish Mox: Amoxicillin 250mg
Fish Mox Forte: Amoxicillin 500mg
Fish Mycin: Erythromycin 250mg
Fish Pen: Penicillin 250mg
Fish Pen Forte: Penicillin 500mg
Fish Zole: Metronidazole 250mg
Fish Zole Forte: Metronidazole 500mg
Bird Biotic: Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg
Bird Sulfa: Sulfadimethoxazole 400mg, Trimethoprim 80mg
Fish Sulfa Forte: Sulfadimethoxazole 800mg, Trimethoprim 160mg

Ampicillin - A semisynthetic penicillin having a broader antibacterial spectrum of action than that of penicillin G. It is effective against gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria and used to treat gonorrhea and infections of the intestinal, urinary, and respiratory tracts.

Tetracycline - Acne vulgaris, Chlamydia infections, Chronic bronchitis,Chronic inflammatory disorder of the facial skin (acne rosacea), Infection caused by Brucella bacteria (brucellosis),Infections caused by Mycoplasma organisms, Infections caused by Rickettsiae micro-organisms transmitted by lice, fleas, ticks and mites.

Cephalexin is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, and urinary tract infections.

Ketoconazole - Ketoconazole cream is used to treat tinea corporis (ringworm; fungal skin infection that causes a red scaly rash on different parts of the body), tinea cruris (jock itch; fungal infection of the skin in the groin or buttocks), tinea pedis (athlete's foot; fungal infection of the skin on the feet and between the toes), tinea versicolor (fungal infection that causes brown or light colored spots on the chest, back, arms, legs, or neck), and yeast infections of the skin.

Erythromycin - Erythromycin is used to treat streptococcal infections of the throat ("strep throat") and skin. It is used for infections of the lung (pneumonia) caused by streptococcal pneumoniae, mycoplasma pneumoniae, and legionella pneumophila (legionnaires disease). Erythromycin is used to treat acute pelvic inflammatory disease, diphtheria, erythrasma, whooping cough, listeriosis, and intestinal amebiasis. It is used for the treatment of staphylococcal infections of the skin and as an alternative antibiotic for the treatment of syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. Erythromycin is used in patients who are allergic to penicillin for the prevention of recurrent rheumatic fever and infections of the hearts' valves (endocarditis) in patients with valvular abnormalities of the heart before they undergo dental treatments. The non-FDA approved uses for erythromycin include acne, Lyme disease, and tetanus.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole is an antibiotic effective against anaerobic bacteria and certain parasites. Anaerobic bacteria are single-celled, living organisms that thrive in environments in which there is little oxygen (anaerobic environments) and can cause disease in the abdomen (bacterial peritonitis), liver (liver abscess), and pelvis (abscess of the ovaries and the Fallopian tubes). Giardia lamblia and ameba are intestinal parasites that can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea in infected individuals. Trichomonas is a vaginal parasite that causes inflammation of the vagina (vaginitis). Metronidazole selectively blocks some of the functions within the bacterial cells and the parasites resulting in their death.

Doxycycline Hyclate - Doxycycline: Brand name: Vibramycin. A synthetic broad-spectrum antibiotic derived from tetracycline. Doxycycline is used for many different types of infections, including respiratory tract infections due to Hemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, or Mycoplasma pneumoniae. It is also used for the treatment of nongonococcal urethritis (due to Ureaplasma), Rocky Mountain spotted fever, typhus, chancroid, cholera, brucellosis, syphilis, and acne.

Doxycycline is also of relevance to bioterrorism since the CDC (US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) recommends it as "the drug of choice" for anyone who may have been exposed to anthrax. Doxycycline has fewer side effects, costs less and is more available than Cipro.

Sulfadimethoxazole 400mg, Trimethoprim 80mg - This medication is a combination of two antibiotics used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections (e.g., middle ear, urine, respiratory and intestinal infections). It is also used to prevent and treat a certain type of pneumonia (pneumocystis-type).This medication should not be used in children less than 2 months of age due to the risk of serious side effects.This medication treats only certain types of infections. It will not work for viral infections (e.g., flu). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.

In closing, the article that I wrote is the result of approximately eight hours of internet research. Eight hours does not make me an expert, eight hours does not make me a doctor, eight hours does not make me a lawyer. I would encourage you to ask your doctor about these products and if they are the same thing as that which he prescribes. All the literature I have read says yes they are the same thing. I came across many articles by people who swear they use these products on a regular basis because thier healthcare systems are a nightmare and its easier to self medicate. These folks were from two countries namely Canada and England. My research shows these products can be purchased without a prescription from either a veterinarian or specialized pet/ aquarium store. It is illegal to use these products in any way other than as directed but if there is nothing else, theoretically, these drugs may save your life. Once again I wrote this article as an academic exercise, purely for intellectual reasons of research and study. I hope you enjoyed this article I am glad to have spent these many hours researching it and hope it will be of benefit to the prepping community.

Midwest survivors

http://www.midwestsurvivors.com/index.php
iowaone

Re: Unlikely sources of antibiotics

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks. We use fish and horse meds regularly. Horses have very delicate systems and any impurities will kill them, so their meds are very pure.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866

Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and my autobiography all in one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby iowaone » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:46 pm

I never knew that about horse meds, maybe I need to research horse meds and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info Alaska Rose.
Midwest survivors

http://www.midwestsurvivors.com/index.php
iowaone

Postby SCPrepper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:17 am

Nice to have the info...thanks
SC District 5
SCPrepper
South Carolina Preppers Network
South Carolina Preppers Network

More Unlikely sources of antibiotics

Postby Tango88 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 am

Image Housekeeping! I'm moving the following post over here, since its a thread already started on the same topic, just slight variation on naming of topic. -k
==================================
Hi everyone , I was walking through the local Tractor Supply Store the other day and found all kinds of antibiotics for Horses & cow's .Keep weight in mind . A few years back I came down with Strep Throat and on a Sunday afternoon hurting and aggravated cause the Dr's office was closed I remembered as a child Grand-Dad gave me a shot of Penicillin he had gotten from our local Feed store when I was really sick. Well needless to say I got in my truck and off to Tractor Supply I went. Adjusting the dose for a small Bovine "cow" you get the same results. Now just so you know I'm working off of OLD memories and dumb luck. But it worked for me and I'm still here. Take your risk and use your head.
Have a friend in the Vet field? Antibiotics for Large breed dogs also work. Not only does your local feed store have it they also carry needles & I V bags. I took pick's to prove it now if I can load them up that will be great. Tango

Please oh please share your thoughts ! :D
Attachments
2010-08-25 08.28.32.jpg
250mg,500mg,1000mg
2010-08-25 08.30.12.jpg
IV Bag
2010-08-25 08.29.56.jpg
Needles
2010-08-25 08.39.10.jpg
Short acting Penicillin
Tango88

Postby PAfrogmom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm

WOW didn't even think of feed stores carrying these types of supplies but it does make sense! I have the human expertise ("retired RN") to use the supplies safely if SHTF. Now just need to locate a supplier near me. Thanks for the heads up!!!
The joy of life lies not in the destination but in the journey. Live life without regrets.
PAfrogmom

Postby IceFire » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:18 pm

I get a LOT of my supplies at the feed store. I also do my dogs' and cats' shots myself, and get everything I need from the feed store.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 pm

When you go into these stores, do they question what you are purchasing for? I mean ... if *I* went into a feed store ... they are going to *know* that I am not the owner of any sheep, horses or any other farm animals. :blush:
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby IceFire » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 pm

I've never had any problem. If you want, you can always PRETEND that you have "critters". Seriously, though, I've NEVER had them ask why I was buying particular items (even when buying scalpels, syringes/needles, and suture materials, as well as meds.) Then again, I'm always in there buying feed or equipment for the rabbits.

Oh, I've also gotten 50 lb sacks of whole corn and oats for my "preps" at the feed store, too. All it takes is one bag of oats, and they'll probably assume that you've got critters, so buying the OTHER "supplies" won't even raise an eyebrow.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Pedro wyoming » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:25 pm

ReadyMom wrote:When you go into these stores, do they question what you are purchasing for? I mean ... if *I* went into a feed store ... they are going to *know* that I am not the owner of any sheep, horses or any other farm animals. :blush:

Readymom,
There are monthly periodicals/magazines on management of goats, sheep, and horses. At lintons they are in the small animal isle next to the animal supplies for that species. These magazines have tips for treating particular ailments and managing the animals. Stop in and chat briefly with the employees. DO this for a couple of months and keep reading the monthly periodicals. This does two things-Makes you a familiar face in the feed store and gets you educated on what words and vocabulary to use to give the illusion that you are exactly who you seem to be. There are many things in the local feed stores that are used by the illicit drug manufacturing business. The cashiers have a list of what not to sell if the customer has certain combinations of chemicals and or hardware. I have been buying medicines and medical gear in feed stores for years. I have never been challenged because I have used the plan I outlined here. By the way, most of the fish meds can be bought at pet stores. I keep metronidozole in my water treatment kit still packed on the original box with the fish on it.
Pedro Wyo
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Thank you!

Ice ... are you talking 'human consumption'? -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 am

I buy locally grown oats and barley at the feed store for human consumption. It is very clean and so far have never had a problem with it. I do check through it carefully when dipping out to cook or grind. I grew up doctoring animals and we also used the meds for us. We never used the dog meds, since they can handle more impurities in their meds, but horse meds are very pure and so are the fish meds. Cats have very delicate systems, so also need pure meds. We did minor surgeries and lanced infections on cows, in the field. Kept everything in our saddle bags, so probably not the most sterile conditions. Most everything survived, and so did we, using the same methods. My Dad didn't believe in hauling kids to the doctor for anything. We set toes and fingers and taped them to the ones beside them. Removed bone chips with a razor blade, little things.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866

Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and my autobiography all in one.

Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: More Unlikely sources of antibiotics

Postby Tango88 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:38 am

[quote="Tango88"]Image Housekeeping! I'm moving the following post over here, since its a thread already started on the same topic, just slight variation on naming of topic. -k
==================================
Oh my i goofed up ! i'll know better next time. Sorry and thanks for help. Tango
Tango88

Postby IceFire » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Thank you!

Ice ... are you talking 'human consumption'? -k

If you're asking about the corn and oats...yes. The corn is the same kind that is used to grind for cornmeal, which is what I use it for. I paid $8 for a 50-lb sack of corn that will be ground into cornmeal. You can NOT buy cornmeal for that price. The oats are whole, so would have to be rolled or cut for oatmeal, or ground for oat flour. It was about the same price as the corn was.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RightWingMom » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 pm

This is fascinating. I have been concerned about needing antibiotics in a SHTF world!

Your advice has reassured me. We have a Tractor Supply 5 minutes from our house.
We're in there constantly for chicken feed and other misc. supplies so we shouldn't raise any eyebrows. :thumbsup:
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it!" - Cap't. Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove
http://texasprepper.bunderground.com
RightWingMom
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Next

Return to First Aid & Medicine