• Advertisement

Anti-Parasitic Remedies

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Anti-Parasitic Remedies

Postby MoosePath » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Watching an episode of Monsters Inside Me on TV and got to thinking about treating parasites in a collapse type situation. I did a search here for anti-parasitic remedies and giardia and nothing came up. I was wondering if I missed it somewhere on here. Thinking about a total collapse what would/could a person do who contracted say giardia from drinking water. Anybody have any cures/ suggestions?
MoosePath

Re: Anti-Parasitic Remedies

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 pm

When I worked at the base veterinary clinic overseas, the medication of choice for Giardia was metronidazole. As far as I know, it's the same for humans. Metronidazole is also used as a treatment for flukes in aquarium fish.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 pm

I went to a lecture on parasites once, and it was mentioned that in third world countries they will have their kids squat over a tub of milk twice a year to expel parasites. I did a search and saw this:

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2011/01/17/ ... milk-bath/

Additionally, a parasite diet would help. That means, no dairy, no sugar, no raw vegetables and few fruits (I believe blueberries are okay.) No raw lettuce. Cooked spinach/kale, etc is okay. I think the reason for no raw vegetables and fruits is to keep from re-infecting yourself, but I'm not sure. I imagine there are other things I've forgotten. The basic idea is to minimize the sugars/carbs you eat (dairy is actually a lot of carbs)

I've done it. It's no fun, but it did work. It takes a minimum of 3 weeks, but it can take a year or more, depending on how strictly you adhere to the diet. It helps to take various herbal remedies at the same time, but I don't know what they are offhand.

The diet would be a way to treat yourself if you had no access to medication.
anita

Postby MoosePath » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 pm

IceFire wrote:When I worked at the base veterinary clinic overseas, the medication of choice for Giardia was metronidazole. As far as I know, it's the same for humans. Metronidazole is also used as a treatment for flukes in aquarium fish.

Thank you IceFire, I did a search and found an article about using metronidazole on humans for giardia. They also said if treating empirically for inflammatory diarrhea (bloody diarrhea), it would be advisable to also give ciprofloxacin to treat for any type of pathogenic e-coli strains or salmonella.
MoosePath

Postby MoosePath » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 pm

anita wrote:I went to a lecture on parasites once, and it was mentioned that in third world countries they will have their kids squat over a tub of milk twice a year to expel parasites. I did a search and saw this:

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2011/01/17/ ... milk-bath/

Additionally, a parasite diet would help. That means, no dairy, no sugar, no raw vegetables and few fruits (I believe blueberries are okay.) No raw lettuce. Cooked spinach/kale, etc is okay. I think the reason for no raw vegetables and fruits is to keep from re-infecting yourself, but I'm not sure. I imagine there are other things I've forgotten. The basic idea is to minimize the sugars/carbs you eat (dairy is actually a lot of carbs)

I've done it. It's no fun, but it did work. It takes a minimum of 3 weeks, but it can take a year or more, depending on how strictly you adhere to the diet. It helps to take various herbal remedies at the same time, but I don't know what they are offhand.

The diet would be a way to treat yourself if you had no access to medication.

Interesting remedy, hope I never have to try it but it is good to know. I wonder if it would work with powdered milk, LOL. Especially since we have no cows or goats to milk. The not eating raw vegetables and fruit would be hard as that is the only vegetables I eat. Thank you for the info, I never thought of this aspect of surviving a collapse until we were watching the show and my wife said what would we do if put in a situation like these people were in after a collapse? I'll have to order more powdered milk and put away more sugar (just in case).
MoosePath

Postby Drakenstead1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:19 am

Giardia is nasty stuff. The information in this post got me interested in researching it. I'll do so. I know a couple of folks who came down with it. They both took a year or so to recover with the help of modern medicine. It's easy to pick up and tough to clear. I do know one place the island of Dominica (not Dominican Republic) where they told me they were the only island in the Carribbian (sp?) where one could safely drink stream water. Mostly due to the high Sulphur content of the streams which are coming off active volcanos. I suspect that Sulphur might be part of the ancient treatment mnodality.

I do know that for other more common intestinal parasites like round worms or tape worms the old cure was "wurmmuth" ie: worm herb (Artemesia Absinthum or Absinthe). A strong tea was made of the dried herb and the patient (usually a child) was made to drink it. According to the Grand mothers it worked every time. At the least the kids would never complain about the symptoms again because it's REALLY foul. This is the reason that you find wild grown absinth growing all over the German settled sections of the country on abandoned farmsteads. The currently available "Absinthe" liquor is not real and does not contain the active ingredients necessary.
I am also aware of an old Scandinavian recipe whereby a sugar cube infused with turpentine would clear up a case of round worms. My guess is that this is pretty effective though I'm hoping I never need to test it. My Great Grandmother swore by it though I hear.
Drakenstead1

Postby anita » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 am

Drake, I've done the parasite diet, and the lack of raw vegetables was the hardest aspect. I gave a simplified version. I'd have to find the info to give the specifics. If I come across it I wll.
anita

Postby sageprice » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:41 pm

The search term you are looking for is "Vermifuge" or Vermicideal herbs.
http://www.anniesremedy.com/chart.php?prop_ID=43
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Don't they use hot peppers in a lot of 3rd world countries to kill off worms?
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Isn't black walnut oil also good to destroy some parasites?
Cin

Postby MoosePath » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Reading another article, the drug praziquantel which is used for intestinal infections and worms I found is available from Vet Suppliers. Google the drug name and there are all kinds of articles about it's uses and side effects. But since it is available from Vet suppliers without a prescription it might be a good thing to add to your preps.
MoosePath

Postby Vetmike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Febendazole is another antiparasitical that you can get thru Valley Vet or at Tractor Supply
Vetmike

Postby Matte » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 am

MoosePath wrote:Reading another article, the drug praziquantel which is used for intestinal infections and worms I found is available from Vet Suppliers. Google the drug name and there are all kinds of articles about it's uses and side effects. But since it is available from Vet suppliers without a prescription it might be a good thing to add to your preps.

Sold, or used to be anyway, as Fish-Tapes by Thomas Labs too. Used it for round worm infection twice in our last dog (who never found anything lying dead in the woods that wasn't still good enough to try eating). Speaking of which, I need to check the purchase date on that fish-tapes bottle... Mebendazole, metronidazole, and permethrin cream (5%) in the pharmacy as well. Public shelters, road kill cuisine, dumpster diving, incomplete water purification - parasitic infections may be common following a major disaster.
Matte

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 am

read a disgusting article a few years ago - US military vet was back in the world - been posted ME as a villager PR type - went on a purge cleansing diet ... one AM woke up and took his usual morning ritual walk down the hall - felt something wasn't quite right - big ole tape worm had crawled out and was hanging half in & half out .... double yuk
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby lndtrdr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Back in 97 I got Giardia from the tap water in St. Petersburg Russia and took the standard medication to get rid of it. It took a while to finally get rid of it, and the medication felt like I was poisoning myself. Evidently the poison is strong enough to kill the Giardia but doesn't kill us. It just feels like it is.
lndtrdr

Next

Return to First Aid & Medicine