New Forum Rules
Please Read

Breeding Rabbits… Survival food

Post general topics here

Moderators: Crusis, cherokeenut

Re: Breeding Rabbits… Survival food

Postby Bush_Master » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

Disa wrote:
Bush_Master wrote:SWEET!! that's exciting!! I'm guessing this is the does first time?? If so, seven healthy kits!! That's crazy awesome! I can't wait till my first batch comes!

This is OUR first time!!! So I'm feeling pretty proud of us both!! I've got another 2 hours before I can leave work to check on them. I hope everybody is still doing swell.

So..... How all the kits doing? have you lost any? If not I must say that is one heck of a first littler from what I have read.. They tell you to expect small litters and prepare to lose them even due to the mother still learning and all..

Just thought I'd see if we could get an update on things.
I think "prepping" is just a smart thing to do... So why not?
Bush_Master

Postby Bush_Master » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am

I also weighed my group of rabbits yesterday, they are all 11 weeks old now and only a few ounces from 8lbs (7lbs 14 ounces)! I started weighing them last weekend and will continue to weigh them every weekend until they hit that 6 month mark right before breeding them. I think weighing them and keeping records of the data will help down the road and what to expect from their kits. Also, from last weekend to this weekend (one week) all four of my rabbits gained between 12 & 14 ounces each, that's almost a pound a week!! I know that will most likely slow down here in the next few weeks but I'll continue to weigh them all every weekend and record the data in my record books.

So correct me if I'm wrong but assuming their young will grow as big as fast as their parents noted above (11 weeks old & 8lbs). I could expect some nice size fryers at around 8-9 weeks and roasters at or after 11 weeks, yes?

I mean if I were to cull these guys right now that would produce a little over half their total weight in meat, right.. So a 8 pound rabbit would produce about 4.5lbs to 5lbs of meat considering their breed / cross right which would mean these guy's are already "roasters" at 11 weeks old... Yes?

Anyway I'll keep posting their grow out rates every week after weighing them in.

Being new to all of this, are these weights normal / good / fast ??? They are all lean and solid too, I pick them up Every day to inspect feet / body and health, so I can say this for sure and these numbers are not fat gain.
Bush_Master

Postby Disa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:10 am

Bush_Master wrote:So..... How all the kits doing? have you lost any? If not I must say that is one heck of a first littler from what I have read.. They tell you to expect small litters and prepare to lose them even due to the mother still learning and all..

Just thought I'd see if we could get an update on things.

The kits are all doing great! Every one is still growing, getting fuzzy, squirming and squeaking. Saturday, I cleaned the nest box as it felt like it was getting a bit damp beneath the kits. I replaced the wheat straw underneath with some timothy hay and kept as much of the fur/straw mix as possible. Hopefully, I did not mess them up!

I couldn't be more pleased with my doe. She is the best mom. She is eating and drinking more than usual, but she is a nursing mom so I am letting her eat whatever she wants and am throwing in a crushed berry flavored calcium Tums every other day or so. This morning, she looked to me like she was cleaning herself and pulling a bit more fur to add to the nest..perhaps because I did have to toss some during the clean out. Again...I could not be more pleased with her...she is literally doing all the work and a damn fine job of it considering she's a first time mom. If this is an indication of how things will be for future litters we'll be golden!
Disa

Postby Bush_Master » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I also weighed my group of rabbits yesterday, they are all 11 weeks old now and only a few ounces from 8lbs (7lbs 14 ounces)! I started weighing them last weekend and will continue to weigh them every weekend until they hit that 6 month mark right before breeding them. I think weighing them and keeping records of the data will help down the road and what to expect from their kits. Also, from last weekend to this weekend (one week) all four of my rabbits gained between 12 & 14 ounces each, that's almost a pound a week!! I know that will most likely slow down here in the next few weeks but I'll continue to weigh them all every weekend and record the data in my record books.

So correct me if I'm wrong but assuming their young will grow as big as fast as their parents noted above (11 weeks old & 8lbs). I could expect some nice size fryers at around 8-9 weeks and roasters at or after 11 weeks, yes?

I mean if I were to cull these guys right now that would produce a little over half their total weight in meat, right.. So a 8 pound rabbit would produce about 4.5lbs to 5lbs of meat considering their breed / cross right which would mean these guy's are already "roasters" at 11 weeks old... Yes?

Anyway I'll keep posting their grow out rates every week after weighing them in.

Being new to all of this, are these weights normal / good / fast ??? They are all lean and solid too, I pick them up Every day to inspect feet / body and health, so I can say this for sure and these numbers are not fat gain.
Bush_Master

Postby Bush_Master » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm picking up a pure 14 month old Flemish Giant Doe tonight to add to my rabbitry!! She's a 100% Flemish Giant with a petagree and will be a nice addition to my breeding program! I'm stoke I found her because I have been looking everywhere for one and found it is close to impossible ( at least around here) to find a mature Flemish doe for sale, all I could find were youngsters, with breeders not willing to sell any over 8 months old. So, I'll post some photo's of her tomorrow!
Bush_Master

Postby Disa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Are you going to quarantine her for a while?
Disa

Postby Bush_Master » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:05 am

Well, here she is... I weighed her when I got home and she was 15lbs on the dot, she felt pretty solid except her big oh dewlap of course... I'm unsure if she would be considered skinny, fat or just right??? She's 14 months old and is 15 pounds.... So if anyone has some input on her size / proportion that would be great!?! She looks real healthy to me, clear eyes, nice coat with a sheen, feet look good, dry nose, good temper.

In the carrying cage still (Just got home with here)

1.JPG

In her new home - love the big ears!

2.JPG

Makes my 11 week / 8 pound male 25% Flemish - NZ cross look like a baby next to her...lol

3.JPG

My Girlfriend fell in love with her at first sight!

4.JPG

My 13 year old Son named her "Big Juicy" ....lol We all liked it and suck with it! :D
Bush_Master

Postby Bush_Master » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 am

So, now that I finally have a rabbit old enough to breed (the new Flemish Doe above) I have been itching to breed her! Being all my other rabbits are three months old I needed to figure out a way to scratch my breeding itch. So I called the lady that I bought my three NZ / Flemish crosses from knowing she also had a few Flemish giants that she also breeds to see if she'd be interested in studing one of her Flemish bucks out. She agreed and we settled on a deal to split the littler down the middle with her getting half. So, I'm going to drop my female off at her place tomorrow morning and she will keep her for the day and maybe into Sunday if necessary to get the job done! The Flemish buck she has chosen to breed my female with is also a petagree and an awesome looking steel colored buck (seen below) so I'm pretty stoked about the out come of the kits!!

3M23L33H35L65G75Eed2q71b8bbb3d383134d.jpg
Bush_Master

Postby Bush_Master » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Well, my doe certainly did a great job over the weekend with the buck. Although she has never been bred before she did everything right and was receptive to the male and even surprisingly nice to him. The first time they were put in together they hit it off well, the buck had three solid goes in which there was good connection! They were tried again later that night and again in the morning the next day but they appeared to act like the deed was already done. So now it's just a waiting game to see if the doe took... I suppose I could start to weigh her every week to see if there is a weight gain to see if she had took and is pregnant because I do not know how to feel her tummy or any other ways of knowing?? If anyone has any advice as to how they look / check to see if a doe has taken and is pregnant plz share! So, if all went well I should have my first kits come 4/2/13!!!
Bush_Master

Postby Disa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:07 pm

There are several Youtube videos on how to palpate a pregnant rabbit.
Disa

Postby Bush_Master » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Disa wrote:There are several Youtube videos on how to palpate a pregnant rabbit.

Haha, I looked into palpating female rabbits and it's funny how you'll find all over the internet how NOT to even attempt to palpate unless your experienced and have done it before....WELL oh the heck are you going to get experienced at doing it unless you do it...??? hahahahahaha.. I thought that was funny.. Anyway seems easy enough and I'm sure key is to be gentle with your touch not to harm the kits inside. I'll try palpating on day 12 I guess from what I read. I'm sure if she's pregnant I'll be able to tell using the palpating method I'm confident.

Thanks for the advise! Hows your kits doing?
Bush_Master

Postby Disa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

They're doing great. They'll be 2 weeks old tomorrow and each one is growing like a weed. Everybody's eyes are open and they are fully covered with fur. I'm so proud of my doe! We'll breed her again the weekend after the kits turn 4it weeks old.
Disa

Postby Asatrur » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:01 am

New to this thread, but we have a California doe we would be interested in breeding with someones buck that lives on the Northside of Denver. We are in Longmont and are new to the meat rabbit thing. We just had roasted coney on Monday and are making cony pot pies out the rest.
One is none, two is one!
Asatrur
Extra license HAM
Asatrur
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Bush_Master » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:24 am

Asatrur wrote:New to this thread, but we have a California doe we would be interested in breeding with someones buck that lives on the Northside of Denver. We are in Longmont and are new to the meat rabbit thing. We just had roasted coney on Monday and are making cony pot pies out the rest.

Nice, Yeah we are also new to the meat rabbit thing and live in Firestone right next to ya! :D I have 4 does and one NZ / Flemish Buck. The buck is still a bit young but will be ready to breed very soon. I have a friend that's also close by that I used to stud her buck, she has a few real good bucks both New Zealand and Flemish, the New Zealand buck would be a good choice to stud with your California with and would add a bit more size to the offspring. If you want send me a privet message here with your email address and we can go from there if ya want.
Bush_Master

Postby Bush_Master » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 am

Disa wrote:They're doing great. They'll be 2 weeks old tomorrow and each one is growing like a weed. Everybody's eyes are open and they are fully covered with fur. I'm so proud of my doe! We'll breed her again the weekend after the kits turn 4it weeks old.

Wow, that's really amazing being her first litter - You read all over the net how "not to expect a lot" out of a does first litter and most to all kits end up dying or being killed. So, yeah I'd say you got one heck of a good mother / breeder there for sure! How old is she, the doe?
Bush_Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Colorado Discussions