• Advertisement

old school food slicer

Any food related gadget, utensil or widget other than Canners, Dehydrators, Smokers, and vacuum sealers post about them here.

old school food slicer

Postby broden » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:08 am

broden

Re: old school food slicer

Postby Blondie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

Must be a guy thing.

Mandolin slicer at most kitchen gadget places will work just as well.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby mmpaints » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:42 am

yep, gotta go with Blondie on this. Mandolin slicer is easier to clean, has more versitility and is cheap enough to have a couple as spares.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby MouseToes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:20 pm

The food I would ruin with my blood.........nope.......uh uh. Mandolin for me, blood free.
MouseToes
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby zazzu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Not really a new idea. I have one similar to this that is about 60 years old and belonged to my mother.

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Harvey-4404- ... ral+slicer
zazzu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:01 am

here's the slicer i have.that is if it uploaded..i've only used it for making potato chips so far.and the last batch is my best,so far..the slicer has a pair of legs that fold out,to give room underneath it.and the blade has different thickness settings..only fall back.is i have to be carefull not to cut my self while useing it.and cleaning it..
Attachments
DSCN1279.JPG
jimLE

Postby arkieready » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:32 am

That's a neat little gadget. Be good for minimalist camping. But I prefer a knife. I do have a cheap mandolin and a nice kraut cutter.
You know, it wouldn't be hard to make that little tool. A long thin bolt set in a handle, and a modified scraper blade with a matching nut epoxied on a hole near the end. I could get the parts for a buck or two, dependinging on what I use for a handle.
Jus' sayin'
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:22 pm

yeah.making one is doable.but i figure why not go with factory made while i can.and learn to make/build things that i need to.and when i need to.this way i have what's needed,while im learning..
jimLE

Postby Cheyenne rose » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:08 pm

I found my Salvation Army bargain the other day. Bought a hand crank rival meat slicer, or can slice other items as well. So excited I got it for 4 dollars
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
Cheyenne rose

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Arkie, if you try making one in your spare time, try to find some bolts with various thread sizes so you could slice to different thicknesses.
FussyOldHen

Postby jimLE » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:44 am

i've since used my slicer for making home made scalloped potatoes.it worked out better then i thought it would.they get sliced at a great thickness that we like.only thing is.learning the proper amount of potatoes to peel and slice for the amount of cheeder cheesse soup we go with
jimLE

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Jim: "only thing is.learning the proper amount of potatoes to peel and slice for the amount of cheeder cheesse soup we go with"

Some steady testing will take care of that! :D
FussyOldHen

Postby jimLE » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:15 am

yeah..thats a part of the fun of it..right along with,dont cook them to long.. lol
jimLE

Postby handyman777 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:45 am

jimLE wrote:here's the slicer i have.that is if it uploaded..i've only used it for making potato chips so far.and the last batch is my best,so far..the slicer has a pair of legs that fold out,to give room underneath it.and the blade has different thickness settings..only fall back.is i have to be carefull not to cut my self while useing it.and cleaning it..

Cool slicer. My father had one like that, mine now since he's moved on. He made a box that fit inside the slides to shred cabbage and lettuce it helped hold them in place. (coleslaw,sour kraut,etc) I haven't tried it yet. Also he had a lid or top on the box to push on so he wouldn't lose finger tips.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Return to Kitchen Gadgets