• Advertisement

BATTERY DISPOSAL

Discussions about batteries, regulators, chargers, inverters and more.

Moderator: watcher

BATTERY DISPOSAL

Postby donba » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm

How are you disposing of your old non rechargeable batteries ? Here in Cal. they have all kinds of rules and regs. During the summer we use some battery powered fans, to cut back on AC use. I buy the D-cell on sale at COSTCO, to help keep the cost down. When they go dead I have ben placing a piece of duct tape on the positive end and putting them in the recycle ben. That seams to be the safest way to get rid of them…..
donba

Re: BATTERY DISPOSAL

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Grind them up and label them TEA. give it to your least favorite liberal friend.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Was not aware they were rules for them. At the cabin I just throw them in the burn barrel with the rest of the trash. Once a year I take all of the metal that is left after burning and haul it to town to the dump. After compaction I generally produce 1 Rubbermaid tote of metal a year that gets backhauled, maybe 10% to 15% of this is batteries.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Carbon-zinc and lithium batteries can be disassembled and some components can be recycled for other purposes. The carbon rods, ammonium chloride and lithium ribbon can all useful.
AFAIK, the only batteries that impose an environmental hazard are those with cadmium in them or wet cell acid..

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Norman11 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:05 pm

With Battery Resizers you can use rechargeable AA Batteries in place of the D Size batteries you are now disposing of. Resizers are available even at Rite Aid Drug Stores. I bought my rechargeable Enloope Batteries in a Kit at Costco. Batteries Resizers, Charger, all together Enloopes hold their charge over a year on the shelf, and are advertised to be recharged 1500 times as I recall.
They are not cheap but what would 1500 D cells cost to throw away. I also have a post in Batteries about how to make your own resizers out of PVC pipe

Norman11
Norman11

Postby sageprice » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:14 pm

sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:58 pm

donba wrote: When they go dead I have ben placing a piece of duct tape on the positive end and putting them in the recycle ben. That seams to be the safest way to get rid of them…..

That's what I do. Tape the ends. Put in plastic bag and then take them to get recycled. I think it was Best Buy that I saw a bin, for disposal, as I went in.

House Fires Caused By Storage of 9 Volt Batteries In Junk Drawers Rising
http://ehssafetynewsamerica.com/2011/09 ... -the-rise/
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Pedro wyoming » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 am

ReadyMom,
I had a pocket fire of sorts with a 9V battery years ago. I grabbed a 22 rilfe and put a handful of ammo in my pocket. As i was walking out the door there was a muffled pop. I paused and investigated discovering that i had a , presumably dead, 9v battery deep in that same pocket. I tried for several hours to repeat this even with several brands of ammo and fresh, fully charged, 9v batteries. I never did get a subsequent battery/ammo catastrophe.

But just that once...
:eek:

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Return to Batteries etc...