• Advertisement

SPAM Tragedy!

Discuss general food topics here

SPAM Tragedy!

Postby LetsPrep11 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:24 pm

I heard that Spam was good long past it's 'Best by' date so I never worried about it much. Today, I went to stock 4 new cans and noticed that 3 in the front of the row were swelling. They were dated Feb & Mar 2015! That was $7.50 worth of Spam I had to toss! :'(
Darn, guess we need to keep up with our stuff better. Had to throw away 3 hams last month. Anyone else having trouble eating up their preps?
LetsPrep11

Re: SPAM Tragedy!

Postby dogboy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:11 pm

Excluding cans with bad seals due to damage or rust, no problems... except .... tomato soup developed a bad taste because of the acid reacting with the metal.

Now I'll have to go inspect my Spam cans. sigh.
dogboy

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:15 pm

LetsPrep11 wrote:I heard that Spam was good long past it's 'Best by' date so I never worried about it much. Today, I went to stock 4 new cans and noticed that 3 in the front of the row were swelling. They were dated Feb & Mar 2015! That was $7.50 worth of Spam I had to toss! :'(
Darn, guess we need to keep up with our stuff better. Had to throw away 3 hams last month. Anyone else having trouble eating up their preps?

it's either your storage at home or the distribution to or at the store level .... that's not common
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Drakenstead1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 pm

The folks who make the stuff ( I still refuse to call it food though you can live on it) are extremely proud of their "product"
I can pretty much predict that if you boxed it up and sent it back to them with a note (Though how you ship hazardous waste is problematic) Hormel would make a serious effort to both find out what happened and see that you were well compensated.
We've had similar problems with other products in this class but have found that it was due to our storage mistakes. Anything canned needs a dry cool & dark place to rest. High humidity as we have had this year and a warm storage area was the root of the problem.
If you ever are near Austin Minnesota make sure you stop by and tour the SPAM Museum. According to them it was pretty much the main thing that caused us to win WWII & the Cold War. As I said they're very proud of it. The Russians love the stuff. Now if we could only get the Jihadis to eat it we'd be in the pink.
Drakenstead1

Postby oldsoldier » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:54 pm

Definitely not good OR normal! As I've posted before I've had spam that was WAY over 15 years old! Can's were fine, Tasted the same as newer stuff. I'd guess that you were unlucky enough to get a couple of bad cans.
If by helping just one person learn to survive, to learn to save their life or the life of someone they love. To be able to stand on their own come what may. Then at that time all I have learned, all the hardships, and hard training I have had. Then it will have been worth every minite of time I spent.
oldsoldier
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:44 pm

oldsoldier wrote:Definitely not good OR normal! As I've posted before I've had spam that was WAY over 15 years old! Can's were fine, Tasted the same as newer stuff. I'd guess that you were unlucky enough to get a couple of bad cans.

I don't think you're supposed to eat the cans. ::pat pat::
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Let's Prep.... I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but....

YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?!!!

After all -- look at the residents: they've all turned brown and wrinkled. That bad heat spoils everything, not just Spam.

Men: http://www.skintreatmentweb.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Wrinkled-skin.jpg
Women: http://bridalgalbeautysolutions.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8354d8b3869e20133f3122f74970b-320wi
Dogs: http://photo.elsoar.com/wp-content/images/Hair-Dog-With-Wrinkled.jpg
Cats: http://i.imgur.com/Lj7NHJN.jpg
Livestock: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0f/2e/6a/0f2e6a9c7cde8d67c1101795c7d0d59b.jpg
Rabbits: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/37/f0/cc37f08fc146310a36b37882d9e3e7d8.jpg

Do you think your alligators look like that NORMALLY? http://www.newportaquarium.com/~/media/ParkContent/NAQ_COM/Gallery/Alligators/Alligator.ashx

Well, they don't, they look like this up here in the cool, cloudy PNW, soft and smooth: http://courses.washington.edu/vertebra/452/photos/amphib/longtoed_toes.jpg

:evil: :evil: :evil:
FussyOldHen

Postby OC357 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 am

Lost Spam. I love spam (I know it might not be healthy food, but.....) Anyway, I would have had a funeral and buried it out back with TAPS and a 21 gun salute and a folded flag. Spam is the only food that served our country and deserves respect.

I have had cans swell on occasion and there seems to be no common denominator. I find a swollen can and then check all the other cans and only one is swollen. It's not necessarily just an old can or one particular product either. If storage had anything to do with it then I would be losing all my cans I would imagine. I haven't lost any spam yet. While I am at it I rotate them since I regularly use my stuff anyway. This is a rare occurrence for me. What I think is possible is that the can that went bad possibly had a weak seal to begin with. I am just guessing here based on my personal experience.

I have eaten c-rats that were 25 years old when they were opened. Not necessarily 5 star cuisine but edible. The ham and eggs was actually good, but some of the others not so tasty to my palate anyway. Crackers and busquits not tasty but not spoiled. Cigarettes still smokeable, etc.

The only thing I do is never buy a dented can......ever. If I happen to drop one and dent it I will carefully check it and use it asap.

This is just my own personal experience.

OC
I got nothing. I am just here for the ride.
OC357

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:02 am

Oh my Fussy, that was great and creepy :blink:
I still can't fathom that people actually EAT Spam. It thought people only used it for catching raccoons and possums.
Stahlrosen

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:14 am

Fussy, enjoyed your pics. You spent a lot of time searching the net for those. The woman in the second one is probably only 30 or 40 years old. Reminds me of the "Tanning Bed Mom" in the news last year.

The only problems that I have ever had with canned food has been with commercially canned products. Out of the thousands of home canned foods, including meats, that I have done, I have not had a single one go bad.

Consider that inspections are done by gov't agents and you have your answer. A USDA agent once told me that they only investigate when there is a "significant" loss of life, whatever that is.

Consider that much of the food sold in the USA is not grown or packaged here. I sell all kinds of barrels. I get pickle barrels from Mount Olive Pickles in North Carolina. Why does the barrel shipping label say they originated in India? Not to worry, we all know that India is a pristine and very sanitary country. I believe it was Jim Nabors who contracted Hep C from using the tap water to shave in his hotel while visiting India.

America has gone from a manufacturing country to a relabeling one. The label, American Made, isn't necessarily true. When I got out of the retail business in 2009, the practice was quite common. Make a substantial contribution to the right political party and then proceed with your business. Just don't cause a "significant" number of casualties that could draw attention.

Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby popcandave » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Have you ever watched the show The Walking Dead? That's what caused the Zombies. They ate bad spam... :nuke:
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:41 pm

popcandave wrote:Have you ever watched the show The Walking Dead? That's what caused the Zombies. They ate bad spam... :nuke:

You are inferring that there is "good spam" :?

Reb
maybe they just ate plain ole Spam
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby broden » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

OC357 wrote:
The only thing I do is never buy a dented can......ever. If I happen to drop one and dent it I will carefully check it and use it asap.

yeah we check our cans carefully when buying too.. to be sure they are good and not dented

then my wife is always quick to tell the cashier, nicely, to please not dent any while ringing us up

cause some of them get really get to throwing your stuff around trying to check you out quickly
broden

Postby daaswampman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Spam is a tradegy! How would you know if it went bad???

On a serious note, I keep food substitutes like Spam and Wolf brand chile in the bunker in large quanities and have never had a problem with either. The oldest I could find was over nine years past date and the guys love the stuff when we go to camp. Fried Spam and fresh biscuits are a favorite! The chile pot always needs filling.

I would guess you got a bad canning batch or it was improperly stored at some point. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Well heck now I have got to open a pickle barrel or two and check what is stored in them . Can goods are on the bottom dry goods are next then items that are needed such as TP , rain gear , clothes along with other items . Just got to unpack check them and repack and reseal them . Can goods are not sealed in bags but everything else is . Love my spam bacon flavor is the best ....
Now to open a can and have a meal .....
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Next

Return to General Food Topics